Morton v Livi

Neither team had much penetration. Livi had the bulk of possession but did nothing with it. Morton looked better once Forbes came on and we got in behind two our three times but each time the player concerned picked the wrong option in terms of cutting the ball back. Over the game we got forward less tha Livi but always looked more dangerous when we did.

Livi looked much improved from the last time we played them and comfortably better than some other teams. Morton's back 4 all had good games and got good protection from O'Ware. Bobby Barr is an out and out winger and with O'Ware being an auxiliary defender, that left McKee and Tidser trying to run midfield on their own and they were often outnumbered 4 to 2. Things improved when Forbes came on but in reality, Livi had one of those games where they could have played all night and not scored.

It might not have been pretty but every Morton player worked his socks off and it's another three points.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'"Accumen" is a measure of skill, never time, so your contribution - much like that of your hilariously poor franchise outfit today - was as usual a busted flush.

Gutted for you.

I think (that) you'll find (that) the word is spelt "ACUMEN".

Unless maybe you're trying to start a new trend where the amount of skill (that) you refer to is to be measured in cubic centilitres.

On balance, though, I think (that) you just got it wrong.

Embarrassing..

Jeezo.

That's even MORE embarrassing.

It's not big, and it's not clever. Whether it's true or not, why the feck would you bother to post it?

Stunned to find myself being the most positive Morton fan here: I didn't think the performance was bad. A bit disjointed perhaps, but every Morton player gets pass marks and that's the first time we've been able to say that this season. While on a technical level it wasn't a great game, I found it enjoyable to watch as it was a well-balanced game and I was never certain of the result until it was done. Livingston are clearly a better team than Dumbarton and Alloa and that was an improved performance from us even if there's still much more improving to do.

Livingston reminded me of us a lot in possession: when getting the ball down and playing it through midfield you play some very nice stuff, but ultimately you don't really know what you're doing in the final third and every pass in that area is just hoping for the best rather than players having a clear idea of what they want to do. Again like us though, there's too much ineffective hoofing. White is an absolute carthorse of a player, all he can do his back into his man and flick it it on to nobody. Get someone who can play football and make runs alongside Buchanan and you might get somewhere, but he's absolute mince.

For us, amazed to find myself thinking Lee Kilday, at centre back of all places, was our man of the match, solid performance from him. Pepper, Barr and Gasparotto had very good games too.

It's inevitable when Craig Charleston's the referee that everyone on both sides is going to be pissed off at his gross incompetence, but he had no difficult decisions to make. The penalty was an absolute stonewaller and other than that it was his usual display of inventing fouls against both sides where none have taken place while ignoring blatant ones. A Livingston fan blaming him for losing :lol:

Good post, summed up the afternoon pretty well.

The ref was as poor, or poorer, than most of the players, and despite it being a fairly open game with both teams having a go the fact that it took a penalty to give us the only goal sums it all up nicely.

Crosses and corners apart ( and he didn't half flap at a few of 'em) I think Adam had only one decent save to make, and I don't think Livi's keeper had much more to deal with.

On the evidence of the season so far I'd expect these two teams (and possibly Smurn, if their new second-in-command has a positive impact) to be fighting it out for sixth or seventh place.

Crosses and corners apart ( and he didn't half flap at a few of 'em) I think Adam had only one decent save to make, and I don't think Livi's keeper had much more to deal with.

On the subject of Adam, that guy gives me heart tremors. So many times today I was wondering what the f**k he was doing. He loves a run at the ball.

Best player on the park.

Still a c**t though.

On the subject of Adam, that guy gives me heart tremors. So many times today I was wondering what the f**k he was doing. He loves a run at the ball.

Still a c**t though.

Oh aye and precisely the kind of player we are crying out for. I thought he was outstanding.

Thought Morton were set out not to lose the game rather than going out to win it. They sat in and tried to hit us on the counter with balls down the channels to pacey wingers, which something we severely lacked.

We started well enough and patiently played the ball around trying to feed in Buchanan and White but Morton were packed tight defensively and dealt with everything through the middle. The penalty was unfortunate for us as I doubt anyone would've scored if we'd played till next Saturday.

We didn't change anything 2nd half and kept plugging away trying to get through the middle of the box, Glen was trying to go down the right side but he isn't a winger and Longridge was hardly ever up our left wing at all and when he did he just wasn't good enough to get to the bye line.

Really needed to be working overlaps down the wing to get in behind their defence. Was Hippo a bad boy again and dropped from the squad? Him or Mullen would've maybe been able to break up Morton's defence but one is injured and the other seems to be out of favour from attitude problems.

Hippo has been slagged off by a few Livi fans but he would've been something different to try, someone who takes on players and gets defenders on the back foot.

Anyhoo, still happy enough with how we're playing, our style just suited Morton and we couldn't break them down, doubt many teams will play counter attacking football at home so we should be ok as we are, though I'd still like to see us get a winger in for a plan B.

Thought Morton were set out not to lose the game rather than going out to win it. They sat in and tried to hit us on the counter with balls down the channels to pacey wingers, which something we severely lacked.

:lol:

Yep, Morton weren't set out to win - that's why it took them just six minutes to take the lead. And counter-attacks clearly can't form part of a winning gameplan either.

Another defeat for your club; another utterly embarrassing set of excuses and bullshit from the usual suspect.

Nah just getting bitter diddies like you telt when you start making yourself look like a tit with your franchise patter

I'd stick to watching Loose Women with your maw if I were you - play to your strengths.

Two even teams separated by a penalty which I didn't see because I was late in. Thank you to the young guy manning the car park who gave me a lift down to the cash machine which meant I only missed 5 mins rather than 20.

O'Ware was man of the match as he did very well man-marking Jordan White who had bossed the previous two games. Credit where credit's due to the Morton scout and Jim Duffy.

O'Ware was played in front of the back four precisely to give them a bit of extra protection against a team that scored seven in their last two outings against decent opposition. The downside was that for most of the match then we had a two against four midfield which meant we effectively allowed Livi to control that area. We looked to break up both wings through Bobby Barr and our fullbacks Pepper and Russell and our goal came from doing precisely that.

The tactic generally worked. Livi had loads of possession but could do little with whereas when we did attack we got round the back of the defence a good few times, only for a poor final ball or poor decision making to let us down.

Fair play to Jim Duffy for getting his tactics spot on in terms of getting the points even if it was not pretty. For all he has his critics amongst our fans, he never fails to do his homework on the opposition.

Fair play to Jim Duffy for getting his tactics spot on in terms of getting the points even if it was not pretty. For all he has his critics amongst our fans, he never fails to do his homework on the opposition.

What 'homework', specifically, did Jim Duffy do before leading his side to a calamitous defeat to a distinctly average Lowland League side in last season's Scottish Cup? Or would you prefer to just let that hilarious "never fails to do so" claim slide and save yourself a similar, Spartans-style embarrassment?

What 'homework', specifically, did Jim Duffy do before leading his side to a calamitous defeat to a distinctly average Lowland League side in last season's Scottish Cup? Or would you prefer to just let that hilarious "never fails to do so" claim slide and save yourself a similar, Spartans-style embarrassment?

I realise that you like to deal in absolutes as it makes it easier for you to scoff at those who take a more realistic approach to life, but surely even you can appreciate the difference between someone doing his homework and that homework making him infallible?

You could actually be a half-decent poster* if you replaced a lot of the preening rhetoric with realism.

* - instead of a dick. Just saying.

Archived