Ross County vs Celtic - League Cup Semi Final

Forfinn

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find so impressive this season about County this season is the change in Jackson Irvine. He was comfortably the worst midfielder in the league last season, by some way it might be said. But that's some transformation from him. He's been superb this season.

Didn't you get put out the competition?

Shouldn't you be saying well done Ross County?

After the semi finals are over, most teams are out of the competition.

And well done Ross County.

Craig Gordon: Ross County striker rugby tackled me for second goal

Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon says referee Craig Thomson got key decisions wrong in for Ross County's opening two goals in the Scottish League Cup semi-final, claiming the official missed him being rugby tackled.

The Scotland international was incensed after a tussle with Alex Shalk at a corner kick, which led to Paul Quinn heading County into a 2-1 lead.

Gordon, 33, was booked for his protest and he was also unhappy at the whistler's decision to show a red card to Efe Ambrose, which led to the Staggies drawing level on the way to a 3-1 win which set up a final meeting with Hibernian.

Speaking about County's second goal, Gordon said: "Shalk dragged me towards the front post and it looks like it is right off the training ground.

"Grab the goalie, take him to the front post and we’ll deliver the ball to the back. From that point of view it has worked for them.

"It can’t be allowed otherwise I’m standing in the right half of the goal and probably save the second header.

"If you are allowed to rugby tackle the goalkeeper and play on then that’s a different game than what I’m used to.

"It puts us 2-1 down and we’re very annoyed in both instances that the goals have been allowed. I was talking about how difficult it is to win trebles and we turn up today, we get a few decisions against us and that’s what happens."

Shalk added a third with a missed penalty from Leigh Griffiths ending Celtic's hopes of claiming a domestic treble this season.

And shot stopper believes Dutch striker Shalk was cute as he won the penalty that brought the Highland side back into the game following Gary Mackay-Steven;s first minute opener.

He said: "The boy [shalk] has gone through and he’s overrun the ball a little bit and he’s actually ended up getting something better than a goal with the sending off and a penalty.

"It ends up with a goal and we’re down to ten men. I think he’s looking for it, it’s clever striking play and I think that’s exactly what he wanted and he got it.

"There wasn’t a great deal of contact but if you go down then it’s very difficult for the referee to see when he’s behind it whether there is any contact or not. Whether the linesman can help him out there but certainly I didn’t think there was an awful lot in it."

:lol:

The same Craig Gordon who should have been red carded on the opening day of the season.

Hoops don't half turn players into hypocrites and denial experts.

Franksy's call outs :lol:

Despite being 1-1 with a man up, for a good 15 mins or so after the equaliser I thought it was going to be another match where County couldn't make the man advantage show. McShane and Woods were almost tripping over each other around the centre circle, when Irvine was the only one getting forward to help Schalk. Given that 99% of the time McIntyre wants his centre backs to step up and play and not have midfielders come deep to get the ball, it was bizarre to see two County players do that, and frustrating to see Woods wanting too many touches so deep when it was taking away McShane's ability to switch the play.

Then around 30 mins in Woods started getting a bit further forward to leave McShane to do his job, and it changed the pattern of the contest, at least until 3-1. He had a really good game from 30 mins in and looked every inch the player McIntyre believes in. Some penalty too.

He got roundly ridiculed by fans of most teams, and rightly so. He was shockingly bad.

He was integral to the way that County played last season. They won 12 times in the league but didn't win a single game when he was out of the team. He was and is still capable of bad touches and misplaced passes but there was no way he was the worst in the league. He wasn't even the worst midfielder at Ross County.

What I find so impressive this season about County this season is the change in Jackson Irvine. He was comfortably the worst midfielder in the league last season, by some way it might be said. But that's some transformation from him. He's been superb this season.

Alan Gow was playing for us in midfield last season. Your argument is invalid.

Speaking about County's second goal, Gordon said: "Shalk dragged me towards the front post and it looks like it is right off the training ground.

"Grab the goalie, take him to the front post and well deliver the ball to the back. From that point of view it has worked for them.

"If you are allowed to rugby tackle the goalkeeper and play on then thats a different game than what Im used to.

:lol:

All the more impressive if County were practicing rugby all week and still schooled them at football IMO.

There is a case for Gordon being fouled for the second, but that doesn't exuse Quinn having a free header. He had loads of room. Comedy marking.

Anyway, have Celtic sent their letter to the SFA yet or are they still waiting for the tear drops on it to dry?

The happiness turning to despair from 1.30 onwards :lol:

Poor wee bugger, think I'm too frail to find that entirely funny ;)

Still buzzing from yesterday, wish to god Id taken today off though. Rough as f**k. Was very touch and go for the drive to work this morning...

Have had to screen my calls as I can barely speak, absolutely burst my throat.

Legs are in bits, scabs and scrapes all up my shins from repeatedly bouncing off the seats in front of me at Hampden.

And skint, so skint, must have left a trail of 20s through the bars of Glasgow.

Worth it though, great day, and so pleased for the club. Cant wait to watch the full game again on the telly!

As its the League Cup, rather than the Scottish Cup, I'm not convinced Hibs will Hibs the final... going to be a hell of a hard game.

Too happy/rough to be nervous about it yet though :P

Archived