Loki's Film Quiz

Albino Rover

Done, and sent to the right person this time!!!

Good questions that any buff worth his salt should get a fair few off!!!

Here's hoping for a Cary Grant round next!!!

A Jenny Agutter pictorial quiz would be my choice or the films of Yahoo Serious.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fairly good round for me, albeit with 3 or 4 guesses.

For anyone of a similar age to me - number 10 is available within a triple movie pack from Amazon, for only £6 - haven't seen it for probably 40+ years and recall it was brilliant!

10 is a terrific film. Saw it a couple of months ago of the telebox and probably hadn't seen it for 20 years until then. Tremendous. Number 2 is one of the best films of all time and sits nicely in my top 10.

There was only one Yahoo Serious film wasn't there???

He wrote, directed, produced and acted in 3 films. Young Einstein, Wreckless Kelly and Mr Accident. He really should have stopped after Young Einstein.

He wrote, directed, produced and acted in 3 films. Young Einstein, Wreckless Kelly and Mr Accident. He really should have stopped after Young Einstein.

It was Young Einstein I was ashamed of. Too ashamed to name it actually. (He split the atom with hand tools and used the technique to put bubbles in beer - that film is worse than Hiltler).

A fairly good round for me, albeit with 3 or 4 guesses.

For anyone of a similar age to me - number 10 is available within a triple movie pack from Amazon, for only £6 - haven't seen it for probably 40+ years and recall it was brilliant!

ETA - of course there are more than one answers to 10! The movie I'm referring to appears to show Jimmy killing the title character!

I did the same as you. Instantly thought of that particular film for 10. (TBF it's the only one I can think of that they are both in though).

It was Young Einstein I was ashamed of. Too ashamed to name it actually. (He split the atom with hand tools and used the technique to put bubbles in beer - that film is worse than Hiltler).

Reckless Kelly was worse and I can't remember anything about the third one.

Round 12 Answers

1. The Philadelphia Story

2. It's A Wonderful Life

3. Jefferson

4. Cecil B. DeMille

5. Glenn Miller

6. 8 (in the space of 5 years, no less.)

7. Rope

8. Anatomy Of A Murder

9. Michael Winner

10. Any of: How The West Was Won, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-36078700-1455928861_thumb.p

Round 13: The Hard Luck Round

"Round number 13, the hard luck number. There's the buzzer, and I think we know both the boys..."

I don’t usually do rounds about one specific film, for obvious reasons, but with last weekend being the 35th anniversary of its original UK release, and with it being possibly the very best film ever made, all of this week’s questions are about Martin Scorsese’s Raging Bull.

16897.jpg

Questions

1. On 12th February 1981, UK audiences first sat down to see Raging Bull open with a slow motion shot of Robert De Niro in the boxing ring, set to the Intermezzo from which opera?

2. In an early domestic scene Jake LaMotta starts a petty fight with his wife while she cooks him dinner. Complete the line: “You bother me about a _____?”

3. To whom did Jake LaMotta lose his middleweight title, as depicted in a brutal ring scene? The “Round #13” commentary comes from that match.

4. After his retirement from boxing Jake LaMotta opens a bar in Miami, Florida. What does he call it?

5. What are the last three words spoken in the film?

6. After training extensively to play Jake LaMotta during his fighting career, Robert De Niro fought three legitimate boxing matches, and won two of them. How much weight (to the nearest 10lbs) did he gain to play LaMotta in retirement?

7. Which of the cast was making their film debut and received an Academy Award nomination for their performance?

8. Which cast member was making only their second screen appearance, playing Salvy? He went on to appear in two more Scorsese films.

9. Which of Martin Scorsese’s parents appears in the film? (The word “father” or “mother” will suffice.)

10. Raging Bull is considered one of the biggest ever "Oscar snubs". Which film won the Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director of 1980?

Send your answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck

Archived