Dundee to play Celtic in the US.

Sorry, what was it you were waiting for?

Please explain how.

In relation to:

Everyone on here bangs on about the lack of promotion in our game.

Someone tries to promote the game abroad (good on Dundee BTW) everyone loses the plot says it's a bad idea.

This can only be good for the game in Scotland. If it meant me losing a home game on my season ticket I'd be okay with that and of course the Dundee fans could be compensated in some way.

Punters on here are total hypocrites .

Ta.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I wrong in thinking Dundee were behind this proposal?

Nope, don't think so anyway. There has been talk of a US trip since the Americans arrived and I'm pretty sure that they've been planning it behind the scenes for 2016.

Seems like they have had the idea to merge the trip with this in an effort to boost our profile (and probably their own personal profiles). I'd imagine that their own plan is to draw attention to the adventurous US run underdog Scottish club and to throw it in comparison with big bad Celtic (who will be a big draw alone) to get a bit of a story going. The first competitive European fixture played out with Europe will appeal to people and even if it is a failure, the moment will live long in peoples minds.

Sure, why not remove Celtic from the equation then and have a Dundee Derby or some close odds game with a bit of bite to it and see if the idea still takes off?

Because Celtic are the well known team who we'd want to use as the vehicle for boosting the profile of the match and a derby would be a bit of a betrayal and it's appeal wouldn't translate over with different crowds.

There is also the aspect that we are a diddy club who want to stand out and by inviting someone equally as diddyish, it sort of steals our thunder.

If you want to see Dundee vs Celtic play in America then wait till the summer and you can have a friendly there. Leave the league out of this. A fucking joke.

That said, I would love it if Dundee beat them on the "world stage." That would be glorious.

Nope, don't think so anyway. There has been talk of a US trip since the Americans arrived and I'm pretty sure that they've been planning it behind the scenes for 2016.

Seems like they have had the idea to merge the trip with this in an effort to boost our profile (and probably their own personal profiles). I'd imagine that their own plan is to draw attention to the adventurous US run underdog Scottish club and to throw it in comparison with big bad Celtic (who will be a big draw alone) to get a bit of a story going. The first competitive European fixture played out with Europe will appeal to people and even if it is a failure, the moment will live long in peoples minds.

Because Celtic are the well known team who we'd want to use as the vehicle for boosting the profile of the match and a derby would be a bit of a betrayal and it's appeal wouldn't translate over with different crowds.

There is also the aspect that we are a diddy club who want to stand out and by inviting someone equally as diddyish, it sort of steals our thunder.

Pie in the sky for me.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if this was Celtic's idea and it ends up being a Celtic home game that's moved (if sanctioned of course.)

Celtic will have known with American owners Dundee would be more receptive and thus both teams will have entered negotiations to the ball rolling. Neither Celtic nor the Dundee board are mugs - if this happens it will be beneficial to both parties.

Dundee wouldn't come out of this with any higher a profile in America, they would come out of it with a wedge of cash though. To be honest that's good enough for me.

If you want to see Dundee vs Celtic play in America then wait till the summer and you can have a friendly there. Leave the league out of this. A fucking joke.

That said, I would love it if Dundee beat them on the "world stage." That would be glorious.

If we can convince them America is in Europe I'd fancy our chances tbh.

So, the game in Scotland is dying on it's arse and the solution is to play the game in not-Scotland?

Why not go the whole hog and play the game on an Afghanistani minefield with an Isis ref and suicide ball-boys? Ratings would be sky-high.

So, the game in Scotland is dying on it's arse and the solution is to play the game in not-Scotland?

Why not go the whole hog and play the game on an Afghanistani minefield with an Isis ref and suicide ball-boys? Ratings would be sky-high.

As would be the ball boys.

In relation to:

Ta.

Ah right, I tend to ignore you, thanks for brining that to my attention.

If you can't see how playing a game in the US of A might, and the key word is "might" raise a bit of interest in the game here then you'd be a fucking idiot.....oh wait a minute....

"Diddy" mentality in full force on this thread.

Let's be honest here:

- if Sevco were in the top division, it'd be them and not Dundee.

- if this were anyone other than Celtic playing Dundee, it wouldn't happen.

Dundees chairman would be organising an Old Firm league fixture in America?

Ah right, I tend to ignore you, thanks for brining that to my attention.

If you can't see how playing a game in the US of A might, and the key word is "might" raise a bit of interest in the game here then you'd be a fucking idiot.....oh wait a minute....

"Diddy" mentality in full force on this thread.

This post is in no way an answer to the question which was asked. Please try again.

Nobody has yet put forward a credible argument as to why this benefits Scottish football.

It's an idea which does not scratch the surface of the wider problems in Scotland. It will not go anyway to solving them. It will be a moderate pay day for both clubs involved with almost no legacy in the US for Dundee anyway almost certainly.

Let's sort our own shit out before resorting to this nonsense which once again is just a big two fingers to the regular paying customers.

I just find the whole situation rather sad... It illustrates the lack of respect held by the clubs and authorities towards the true supporters. Also the lack of self-respect in Scottish football as a whole, that we're going to turn major matches in the nation's premier competition into a sort of travelling circus act.

It also begs some further questions:

(1) - will UEFA, FIFA and US Soccer actually approve this? Merry hell was kicked-up worldwide about EPL playing its "39th game" abroad, and there'll be nothing to stop them following suit if another professional league does so.

(2) - what are Celtic getting out of this? is it just PR and hoped-for merchandise or are they getting a cut of the gate? If the latter that raises various big questions.

(3) - does this potentially affect the sporting integrity of the competition? not Dundee's registered ground, and neutral venue (not away) tie for Celtic

(4) - is this seen as an isolated freak, or is testing the waters before potentially playing entire cards abroad, as EPL once wanted?

Archived