St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

Oh dear. Zero league wins from eight matches: with the small matters of Dundee United and Hibs next up for them before the month is done. They don't get to face us this month though because The Famous stormed through to a national cup semi-final, while they got papped out in the group stages way back in July by Hamilton (effortlessly sworded by The Famous in the following round) and little Ayr United. What a truly unfortunate series of events. 

1portillo_2652490b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How unfortunate to see Saint Mirren marooned at the bottom of the table after a full quarter of the season. Winless. Clueless. And already eight points behind their effortlessly superior rivals. That's a wee shame.

1476548659378.thumb.jpg.a458eb20e7767be2

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Colkitto said:

Didn't really believe it possible, but I actually do think they could go down. Ross needs to do something in January if they have any chance - assuming it's not too late by then

I hadn't really seen them this season and sort of just assumed they were an average side doing poorly that would improve, but they looked awful. No bite in attack, second to every ball, and just generally disorganised and easy to attack against. Looks grim for them. The comparison to our Moore/Shiels season is probably accurate.

I compared this St Mirren team to our squad that got relegated under Moore/Shiels on the match thread. One point i didn't make in my post that i think is valid is the effect that getting rid of an over the hill talisman can have on a dressing room.

Weatherson for us was definitely not good enough to play every week for us, but i always felt a major part of our downfall that season was not having him in the dressing room and it turning into an absolute disaster with gutless loan players who knew they could return to their clubs without a second thought, or over the hill carthorses looking for one last payday poisoning the club from the inside out. I've always felt we would never have surrendered so weakly that season with him still around.

Can't help but feel the exact same scenario applies for St Mirren and Jim Goodwin. Maybe he could have done a job on the park still this season, but more importantly it looks like he was the glue holding a fragile St Mirren team together.

All your loan signings will go back to their clubs at the end of the season and even more annoyingly will start playing out of their skin for their parent club and people like Webster and Sutton will take the biggest signing on fee they can get and the only thing you'll have to show for it is the lowest point in your clubs history and an absolute pumping from your rivals for the first time in 17 years.

Archived