Sports Direct Pricing Policy

Surely if you paid £31 for it, you thought that it was worth that and also that you were getting a good deal for it?

Yes I did, but it's the principle of the whole thing and the fact that it was originally priced at £24.99, so in fact the "deal" was actually worse that the original price and surely dishonest trading by SD .

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you'll be one the better dressed jambos at the next home match with your 25 quid Adidas.

I certainly will.

If you're interested, Tesco are selling half priced duvets.

I reckon half a dozen of these should suffice in keeping the Hibs supports legs warm at the next home game ;)

iirc any labels or discounts etc. are only considered an "invitation to treat", but not binding as an offer. The offer is actually made at the point of sale, so mispriced goods don't have to be sold at that price.

Unsure exactly how that works with a discount (think, for instance, that if they had an advert outside saying 20% off all goods that they forgot to take down and you went in, trying to buy an item but were informed that the deal was no longer valid they're still under no obligation to sell it to you with that discount *but* may do so to avoid pissing people off. Pretty sure any returned items bought on a sale have to be returned at cost price too) but I suspect that the same rules apply,

my sweet, sweet friend. /filth reference

Bought an Adidas running jacket from them yesterday, which was priced at £41.99, but reduced to £31 in their " up to 30% discount", sale, saving me 26% on the ticketed price.

When I took it home, I noticed there was another original price sticker under the £41.99 one, and when I peeled back the top one, it revealed the original price was £24.99.

I went back to the store today and the manager told me there was nothing he could do as it had been received in their store priced up like that.

When it dawned on him I wasn't going anywhere until I got this resolved, he finally called their retail support office and gave me a credit for £6.01 to bring it in line with the original ticketed price of £24.99.

However, I'm now thinking if I should have been looking for the original discount of 26% off the £24.99 price?

Any P&Bers out there know the laws behind pricing, discounts etc?

In summary, Sports Direct are a bunch of dishonest c***s

Isn't sports direct were all the junkies, tinks and benefit scroungers buy their gear........oh....right...

If I noticed it in the shop, I'd bring it up. I wouldn't embarrass myself by going back to the shop, and complaining to a point where they phoned head office, for the sake of £6.

I'm with you.

Bet the staff were thinking he was a right jakey bass.

If you were happy with the jacket at the price you bought it at is it really worth going through all that extra hassle for the sake of such a small amount?

Behaving like that means you're either an incredibly moany person that's far too uptight, or just, a total tink.

The amount of morons who are adamant that this isn't the case is baffling. Worked in a shop for a couple of summers and it was with great pleasure that I told people I didn't legally have to sell them a bottle of expensive wine for £1 because the price tag on the shelf was wrong. Brings out some top seethe.

I've ended up in a fist fight with junkie customers who thought they knew the laws regarding the sale of goods. Bottom line is most customers are dribbling morons who firmly believe saying "the customer is always right" will actually work.

Ah this takes me back.

Carlill v Carbolic smoke ball company

Harvey v Facey

Bell v Fisher

Happy days in the Liar Bar.

Basically the law won't help you but it's always worth just staring someone down. They often don't know the law either.

Ohhhhh yeah!

That's the one where the offer advertised in the paper was so specific that it constituted an implied acceptance if the conditions were met?

Bell vs. Fisher rings a bell but can't remember it without cheating via google. Also did Boots vs. Royal Pharmaceutical Society where iirc a licenced dispenser had to be present for selling medicine but the goods were all on shelves and brought to the checkout by the customers themselves, which was held in favour of Boots - the offer was made at the counter for the goods where a licenced dispenser was at the till.

I've ended up in a fist fight with junkie customers who thought they knew the laws regarding the sale of goods. Bottom line is most customers are dribbling morons who firmly believe saying "the customer is always right" will actually work.

I'm dubious regarding your fist fight claim but having worked in shops cam attest to the 'dribbling morons' part. I often wonder they get such pish from

Having worked with John Lewis if you there is a price discrepancy on the tag when you receive it, whether it be for more or less than you actually paid, if you phone up and complain you'll get money off as a goodwill gesture.

Its amazing the amount of things you can get money off for with them but the problem is they are dearer than everywhere else so its hardly worth the hassle to order something and complain about it to get money off when you can get stuff cheaper elsewhere anyway.

Ohhhhh yeah!

That's the one where the offer advertised in the paper was so specific that it constituted an implied acceptance if the conditions were met?

Bell vs. Fisher rings a bell but can't remember it without cheating via google. Also did Boots vs. Royal Pharmaceutical Society where iirc a licenced dispenser had to be present for selling medicine but the goods were all on shelves and brought to the checkout by the customers themselves, which was held in favour of Boots - the offer was made at the counter for the goods where a licenced dispenser was at the till.

My mistake. Fisher v Bell. Flick knife on shop window. Defendant tried to claim it wasn't for sale, just on display and the price tag was an invitation to treat and not an offer of sale.

The case established that the vendor does not make an offer with the price tag but the emptor makes the offer at the till.

Probably, it was a long time ago and I was seldom sober.

Ah this takes me back.

Carlill v Carbolic smoke ball company

Harvey v Facey

Bell v Fisher

Happy days in the Liar Bar.

Basically the law won't help you but it's always worth just staring someone down. They often don't know the law either.

Molotov Cocktail v Shop Window

For when the civil court doesn't work.

Bought an Adidas running jacket from them yesterday, which was priced at £41.99, but reduced to £31 in their " up to 30% discount", sale, saving me 26% on the ticketed price.

When I took it home, I noticed there was another original price sticker under the £41.99 one, and when I peeled back the top one, it revealed the original price was £24.99.

Now to show my age, old fart etc.

I seem to remember in the days of rampant inflation in the 70's a law was passed to outlaw price stickers being put over price stickers to increase the price.

If I am right about this it is unlikely the Law on this was repealed.

Sue!!

Based on my extensive knowledge of merchandising laws (the apprentice last week) a product has to have been sold at the original price for 28 days before you can claim to be taking X% off the original price.

However, Mike Ashley isn't an idiot and I imagine he will have/have had that jacket for sale somewhere for £41.99, if that law is actually strictly enforced.

This is exactly how Sports Direct operate. Everything in the shop has some discount or another and they follow this rule to make the 30/50/70% stickers legally applicable.

There's also the chance that, since it is SportsDirect.com, these new products are sold solely on the website for 28 days then they are sent to all the shops (with their discount stickers already on it.) If you buy it online during that 28 day period then it is sent to you with the discount tag is removed.

I'm not 100% on the online part - it's speculation but I'm sure I heard that's how SD do it.

As far as the OP goes, items are wrongly priced all the time due to human error (new staff with very few shifts because of the zero hour contracts often mess up with the store's system)

You might be mad at the "principle" of it but remember that it's not necessarily the person at the till who is to blame. It could be some trial employee who fucked up (usually is, staff turnover is massive) and didn't come back.

Generally speaking, having a go at store assistants because you're "entitled to great service" or because someone else messed up is shameful behaviour. Even on the occasion that they are to blame, they probably know it themselves.

The staff might not give you first class service, and you might get annoyed at their behaviour, but you can't blame them for the company's policies.

And anyway, it's Sports Di-fucking-rect - what else do you fucking expect when you walk through the doors?

Having previously worked in the sofa industry who are well known for these type of "discounts" I.e. Was £1200 now £600 bollocks. Even holding the stock in a warehouse or back of house for 28 days means they can say it was that price even though the customer was never in a position to buy it with it being off the shop floor. It's crazy and has to be cleared up in future

Archived