Sports Direct Pricing Policy

Bought an Adidas running jacket from them yesterday, which was priced at £41.99, but reduced to £31 in their " up to 30% discount", sale, saving me 26% on the ticketed price.

When I took it home, I noticed there was another original price sticker under the £41.99 one, and when I peeled back the top one, it revealed the original price was £24.99.

I went back to the store today and the manager told me there was nothing he could do as it had been received in their store priced up like that.

When it dawned on him I wasn't going anywhere until I got this resolved, he finally called their retail support office and gave me a credit for £6.01 to bring it in line with the original ticketed price of £24.99.

However, I'm now thinking if I should have been looking for the original discount of 26% off the £24.99 price?

Any P&Bers out there know the laws behind pricing, discounts etc?

In summary, Sports Direct are a bunch of dishonest c***s

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son picked out a new bag in the summer for school in Sports Direct, priced at £12.99. When the guy put it through the till it came up as £23.99. He seemed a bit miffed when I suggested I was taking it away with me and only paying £12.99. He called the manager and she said that unfortunately someone had priced it wrong. I looked her right in the eyes for a good minute without saying a word, and she caved in. £12.99 it was then. I must have that look about me. :thumsup2

JD are equally as unpleasant to deal with.

EDIT: Sorry, I've no idea of the laws behind pricing. It's something like it has to be priced for so long at the high price before they can call it a sale item. Not really sure.

Are you really surprised?

Based on my extensive knowledge of merchandising laws (the apprentice last week) a product has to have been sold at the original price for 28 days before you can claim to be taking X% off the original price.

However, Mike Ashley isn't an idiot and I imagine he will have/have had that jacket for sale somewhere for £41.99, if that law is actually strictly enforced.

I don't think you've got a leg to stand on.

You could certainly go back and "haggle" for another discount, but since he was being arsey about offering it at the "hidden" price, you'll probably be onto plums.

The £24.99 could have been a mistake anyway (hence why another sticker was placed over it), and the shop is under no obligation to sell at that price. Most will honour it to keep you happy, but they don't have to.

Of course, advertising something "on sale" when it's not is illegal, but as Calum says, they'll probably have exploited some loophole somewhere. I know that some big supermarkets recently got hit by a big fine for advertising things as "on sale" when they're not, but you'll have a hard-time proving your case.

Every time Viz bumped their prices up, they'd plaster a sticker on it with the new price along with "Now only £3.95". :D

My son picked out a new bag in the summer for school in Sports Direct, priced at £12.99. When the guy put it through the till it came up as £23.99. He seemed a bit miffed when I suggested I was taking it away with me and only paying £12.99. He called the manager and she said that unfortunately someone had priced it wrong. I looked her right in the eyes for a good minute without saying a word, and she caved in. £12.99 it was then. I must have that look about me. :thumsup2

JD are equally as unpleasant to deal with.

EDIT: Sorry, I've no idea of the laws behind pricing. It's something like it has to be priced for so long at the high price before they can call it a sale item. Not really sure.

Legally, you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on had the manager refused to sell it to you.

Shops are not required to sell items for the price they are on shelves. It's how they get around misprices and so on.

Legally, you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on had the manager refused to sell it to you.

Shops are not required to sell items for the price they are on shelves. It's how they get around misprices and so on.

The amount of morons who are adamant that this isn't the case is baffling. Worked in a shop for a couple of summers and it was with great pleasure that I told people I didn't legally have to sell them a bottle of expensive wine for £1 because the price tag on the shelf was wrong. Brings out some top seethe.

A couple of things.

First thing that leaps out is that you went to that zero hour poorhouse of a travesty called sports direct.

Second thing, you went to that zero hour poorhouse of a travesty called sports direct.

I actually tried Fortum & Masons first,but they don't sell sports gear

You went back to sports direct to complain about £6, that technically you weren't even entitled to.

I'd stop behaving like a peasant, before attempting to insult others.

The fact that you'd be prepared to roll over and let them shaft you is entirely up to you.

Eta, so you'd be quite happy paying £31 for an item which was marked up from £24.99 to £41.99 in order to show a false discount?

If you are, you're obviously a simpleton

I recall seeing a bit of a documentary once that was filmed in a sweatshop in Asia that was producing Sports Direct goods. The gear was coming off the production line and they were whacking on the 30% off labels there and then. The company clearly had no intention of selling it at the old price. No idea how they managed to get away with that, as I too watched The Apprentice last week and learned about discounting rules.

The fact that you'd be prepared to roll over and let them shaft you is entirely up to you.

Eta, so you'd be quite happy paying £31 for an item which was marked up from £24.99 to £41.99 in order to show a false discount?

If I noticed it in the shop, I'd bring it up. I wouldn't embarrass myself by going back to the shop, and complaining to a point where they phoned head office, for the sake of £6.

Surely if you paid £31 for it, you thought that it was worth that and also that you were getting a good deal for it?

Archived