Sports Direct Pricing Policy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did UTN not claim to be some sort of company director at one stage? And here he is ignorant of basic contract law and frothing at the mouth over a cool £6. Seems plausible.

Actually quite creepy you remember that fact.

So yet again another who completely misses the point and would be prepared to pay more for something than its actually been priced at.

You should maybe try shopping in Poundland and give them £2 for everything you buy.

Actually quite creepy you remember that fact. So yet again another who completely misses the point and would be prepared to pay more for something than its actually been priced at. You should maybe try shopping in Poundland and give them £2 for everything you buy.

You have no idea whether it has actually been priced at that lower price or not. The presence of the sticker doesn't mean that the item was actually ever on sale at that price - it could have been put on by mistake and then immediately stickered over. Even if the item was for sale at the lower price for a while, I can't imagine it's illegal for a shop to increase the price of something. If Tesco has a bottle of coke on sale for £1 this week, that doesn't mean they can't go back to charging £2.50 or whatever next week.

You thought that £31 was a reasonable price to pay for the jacket, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. It wasn't ever advertised to you at £24.99, so it's not as though you've been ripped off. After quite happily choosing to pay £31, you then discovered a tag which was for a lower value. The item may or may not have been sold at this price in the past.

I can understand why that would be annoying, and why you might ask for a refund. However, I'm pretty sure Sports Direct were under no obligation to give you that £6 back, let alone provide you with a 26% discount on the £24.99 price. They did so as a goodwill gesture. It therefore seems a little ungrateful to come on and moan about being ripped off or about "dishonesty" after they've already been generous enough to give you back money you weren't entitled to.

From working in customer service and previously retail, you learn that alot of people love to shout "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!". In fact they typically know sod all and just take some shit interpretation of legislation from a consumer action forum full of fucking tight idiots who believe they are fighting a good fight against the system, while possessing a very poor grasp of consumer legislation.

I hate people.

From working in customer service and previously retail, you learn that alot of people love to shout "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!". In fact they typically know sod all and just take some shit interpretation of legislation from a consumer action forum full of fucking tight idiots who believe they are fighting a good fight against the system, while possessing a very poor grasp of consumer legislation.

I hate people.

This.

If my company was taken to Watchdog and Watchdog thought there was a case to investigate every time I heard "I'm going to speak to Watchdog", we'd be on the show every week.

Also interesting that the same type of people also "have a friend who's a solicitor/journalist" and that "They're very interested in this transaction".

*yawn* aye ok, do carry on.

This.

If my company was taken to Watchdog and Watchdog thought there was a case to investigate every time I heard "I'm going to speak to Watchdog", we'd be on the show every week.

Also interesting that the same time of people also "have a friend who's a solicitor/journalist" and that "They're very interested in this transaction".

Are you possibly my colleague?

I remember when I was working for British Gas some guy told me he was going to the Daily Star.

Not sure where they would fit the story about a punter who managed to let the meter run down to zero cash, in between pictures of tits and stories on big brother or whatever reality shite was on tv at the time.

This.

Also interesting that the same type of people also "have a friend who's a solicitor/journalist" and that "They're very interested in this transaction".

I'm a journalist and from experience folk hardly ever follow through on that threat. Wonder how far folk get throwing that line about?

I do remember one wifey getting in touch not happy that the laptop she'd bought from Cash Converters was second hand...

I remember watching a programme a few years ago about Trading Standards.

Officers Club were investigated for constantly offering "Sale / 70% off" etc etc.

Their (legal) get out was that the small print said it was on sale at the higher rate at such & such a store in Leeds or somewhere for 28 consecutive days.

On investigation, this turned out to be an office attached to a distribution warehouse in an industrial estate (IE: not a High Street) , But they could LEGALLY say the public COULD come in & pay over 3 times the price - Obviously no punters ever did.)

I recall seeing a bit of a documentary once that was filmed in a sweatshop in Asia that was producing Sports Direct goods. The gear was coming off the production line and they were whacking on the 30% off labels there and then. The company clearly had no intention of selling it at the old price. No idea how they managed to get away with that, as I too watched The Apprentice last week and learned about discounting rules.

I used to work for a high street retailer who had lots of things that were permanently "half price". They were bought specifically to sell at the "half price" price. They had one store, somewhere down south, where the items were sold at full price to get around the legalities.

Its common practice among major retailers

I've ended up in a fist fight with junkie customers who thought they knew the laws regarding the sale of goods. Bottom line is most customers are dribbling morons who firmly believe saying "the customer is always right" will actually work.

:lol: "The Sheriff of Trading Standards"

I'm a journalist and from experience folk hardly ever follow through on that threat. Wonder how far folk get throwing that line about?

I do remember one wifey getting in touch not happy that the laptop she'd bought from Cash Converters was second hand...

About as far as they get when they say "They're speaking to their solicitor" and that "They know their rights". I.e. nowhere fast.

I used to work at a furniture shop in Clackmannanshire (not THAT one). A wee family run outfit. Come December it was time for the Christmas sales, and so we got out our felt tips and stencils (this was 2001, but the owner didn't 'trust' computers).

Took off a price tag that said £999, and replaced it with "Was £1499, now £899". Things were discounted, but only marginally. I asked the boss about it and all he said was "everyone does it".

It seems to me that all customer's are dribbling simpletons whether they are business customers or members of the public customers.

Nothing better than hearing in their voice that they are building up to a tricky question that they have probably told all their mates about and think they have been so clever and batting it out the park in seconds.

About as far as they get when they say "They're speaking to their solicitor" and that "They know their rights". I.e. nowhere fast.

Unfortunately with my work we have to escalate any complaints with media references. Typically doesn't get much further but sometime goes to a PR company to evaluate the risk.

The other two lines trotted out mean nothing. Funnily enough when solicitors do get involved they typically make the same shitty complaint but with a bit more pizzazz and formally grumpy manner. Complaint still doesn't get upheld.

Archived