Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

He is a egotistical quisling.

I get that quisling has come to mean traitor in general, but surely in the context of Salmond it would only apply if he was in hock to the UK Government?

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The good thing here is I can vote SNP without holding my nose in future as the majority of their roasters will be heading over The Alba Party.

Which is a shite name and I hope the Gaels who got "Yes Alba" telt get this lot telt as well. 

There's nothing happened today that will mean I can vote for the SNP without holding my nose. 

Nicola will be hoping this takes enough votes away to stop an independence majority. 

We'll have to hope there's some highly talented teenager coming through to take us to the next level. 

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I get that quisling has come to mean traitor in general, but surely in the context of Salmond it would only apply if he was in hock to the UK Government?

It is becoming more and more apparent he is in cahoots with the establishment. 

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

It is becoming more and more apparent he is in cahoots with the establishment. 

I'd say if anything this latest move suggests he is in cahoots with some at the SNP rather than anything else.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

There's nothing happened today that will mean I can vote for the SNP without holding my nose. 

Nicola will be hoping this takes enough votes away to stop an independence majority. 

We'll have to hope there's some highly talented teenager coming through to take us to the next level. 

There are few people on P&B who talk more shite than you.

4 minutes ago, Pato said:

Open goal for opposition politicians. Tail wags the dog, billboards of Salmond with Sturgeon in his pocket, leaflets with Salmond and Sturgeon linked blah blah blah.

This will scare off tentative SNP voters who don't want Salmond near the reins of power, it'll harden the turnout of union at all costs types and damage the green vote. I suspect Joanna Cherry will have a suddent and complete recovery from whatever ails her.

Aye, mentioned this earlier. Let eck get all the attention and Cherry and MacAskill to be announced later for high impact I'd imagine.

4 minutes ago, Pato said:

This will scare off tentative SNP voters who don't want Salmond near the reins of power, it'll harden the turnout of union at all costs types and damage the green vote

I don't get this. He's never getting near the reins of power. Might it not actually help the Greens, they're pro-indy already so if they raise their profile they could get votes from disaffected SNP voters? 

Massive grenade launched at the SNP/Green tactical ticket, this. Really hard to judge, but the more media attention that gets foisted on him, the more 'legitimacy' his party gets and the more of a shot he has. Will the other leaders want him platformed? Doubt it. Expecting a drip feed of Cherry, McAskill and possibly others over the next week before papers close - despite the OHBC nature of the launch, they probably know exactly what they're doing strategy wise.

(Be interested to know who/where the funding is coming from for this, too......)

No matter how discredited he appears to be (and I personally think he's a bit of a busted flush), if 15-20k votes is enough to get you in on the list, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he has just about got a big enough base in the Shire to get him in on the NE list. The SSP got half a dozen in 2003 IIRC, so it's not impossible they could get a few in, but I'd eat my hat if the 'hashtag supermajority' happens.

18 minutes ago, GiGi said:

There are few people on P&B who talk more shite than you.

Keep telling yourself that Nicola will take us to independence, that ship has sailed.

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

There's wiser eating fuckin grass than you.

We'll see, I'm not the one kidding myself on that we're marching to independence. 

Did you ever have the Alex Salmond Conversation when trying to persuade people to vote yes in 2013-14? The guy is kryptonite to middle of the road voters that the SNP depend on, when these people are broadly sympathetic to the kind of concessions the Greens can get from the SNP. There will be a drift for these folk back to Labour, Tories and Lib Dems.

I don’t think that’s going to happen. I’m remaining optimistic.

Events leading up to this were billed as massively damaging to the SNP, Sturgeon was going to resign, etc. Instead, from what I’ve seen anyway, this has rallied the SNP voters and increased the determination to stick it up the Tories. I don’t think Salmond’s party are going to put off soft SNP voters. Think most people see him for what he is - egotistical fud and sleaze.