Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

Yes and I thought my point was pretty obvious too. The current government aren't going to care if the Scotch are outraged. They simply do not, and will not, care. 
A number of folk on here appear to be living in some weird fantasy where "international pressure" forces the UK government into conceding a referendum.  It's not at all realistic.
An independence referendum isn't going to happen during this current government's lifespan; be that until 2024 or 2029.

You see many realistic posts on this sub forum, but this is one of them. Fair play.

Chuckling at the thought that the presence of Alex Salmond at Holyrood is going to make Westminster suddenly cave and sign off on an independence referendum.
What is the actual point in voting altogether. Majority of us want a 2nd referendum, it has already been passed in our parliament only for the tories to reject it. What's to stop them a 2nd time and when they do say no again, what do we do? What does Sturgeon do? Does it matter if it's the Greens or Salmond propping up a majority in Holyrood?

The Unionists love it by the way, whilst also saying Nats don't respect democracy.

21 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

What is the actual point in voting altogether. Majority of us want a 2nd referendum, it has already been passed in our parliament only for the tories to reject it. What's to stop them a 2nd time and when they do say no again, what do we do? What does Sturgeon do? Does it matter if it's the Greens or Salmond propping up a majority in Holyrood?

The Unionists love it by the way, whilst also saying Nats don't respect democracy.

Of people on this forum - Aye. 

Out of the electorate - Mibbie but probably nah. 

Out of all of Scotland - Nowhere near. 

I agree the voting is futile anyway, draw a willy or something. 

Edited by Stormzy

24 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Kenny MacAskill has my favourite Twitter bio of arguably any politician. 

I didn't know what to expect so laughed out loud. He's like a Pokemon. 

6 minutes ago, Pato said:

well aye - if you're getting owned by people of that calibre it doesn't say much for your ongoing prospects as an MP.

Nobody in the history of the universe has ever been 'owned' by Alistair fucking Carmichael; dial down your Team Nicola routine and return to the land of reality. 

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Yes and I thought my point was pretty obvious too. The current government aren't going to care if the Scotch are outraged. They simply do not, and will not, care. 

A number of folk on here appear to be living in some weird fantasy where "international pressure" forces the UK government into conceding a referendum.  It's not at all realistic.

An independence referendum isn't going to happen during this current government's lifespan; be that until 2024 or 2029.

The only chance that this isn't 100% correct is if the Supreme Court rules that the Scottish Parliament has the power to arrange an advisory election.

There's literally no other way that we're getting a referendum before the next UK general election or until Johnson leaves office, whichever comes sooner. Even after that, the English electorate will punish a party that agrees to give us another referendum.

And there's nothing any of us can do about it.

In the meantime, a Scottish Parliament with Alex Salmond and his small band of fundamentalists will be a shit-show as Johnson plays the two SNPs off against each other.

A 2nd referendum was voted through our parliament by MSPS elected by Scottish voters. Democracy in action. Denied by Westminster.

Given Macaskill has refused to resign his WM seat it exposes a clear fault in UK democracy that there is no method to force a by election. As a constituent of the disgraced former finance minister i also had no means to complain when i was left without a rep at Holyrood for my constituency. There should be very clear guidelines that mean if someone changes party they should have to face a by election, the same should be said for politicians who refuse to attend or vote/participate (sorry Sinn Feinn). The overall vibe of the Alba Party and its make up to me suggests they missed a trick not calling themselves ‘The Banana Republicans’. 

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Given Macaskill has refused to resign his WM seat it exposes a clear fault in UK democracy that there is no method to force a by election. As a constituent of the disgraced former finance minister i also had no means to complain when i was left without a rep at Holyrood for my constituency. There should be very clear guidelines that mean if someone changes party they should have to face a by election, the same should be said for politicians who refuse to attend or vote/participate (sorry Sinn Feinn). The overall vibe of the Alba Party and its make up to me suggests they missed a trick not calling themselves ‘The Banana Republicans’. 

Douglas Ross has not resigned as an MP and is trying to keep his options open as well just in case he does not get a seat in Scottish Parliament. I agree both he and Kenny Macaskill should not have that luxury.

20 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

Douglas Ross has not resigned as an MP and is trying to keep his options open as well just in case he does not get a seat in Scottish Parliament. I agree both he and Kenny Macaskill should not have that luxury.

Id agree with you if DR wasn’t standing as a Conservative party candidate. KM has resigned from The snp. 

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

the same should be said for politicians who refuse to attend or vote/participate (sorry Sinn Feinn).

No they shouldn't. Their constituencies voted for them with the full knowledge and expectation that they wouldn't participate in Westminster and it would be anti-democratic to then turn round and say "elect someone else". Their constituents are clearly happy on balance with their MPs practicing abstention.

Edited by NotThePars

On 26/03/2021 at 14:52, dirty dingus said:

Angus McNeil must be another one who will jump ship, unless he just likes to shit stir and hang onto his massive MP salary.

His seat is fairly safe. He is an utter c**t of a man though. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
3 hours ago, Stormzy said:

A 2nd referendum was voted through our parliament by MSPS elected by Scottish voters. Democracy in action. Denied by Westminster.

So initially you should say that rather than "the majority want it" as that's misleading in a number of ways as I tried to clarify. 

57 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No they shouldn't. Their constituencies voted for them with the full knowledge and expectation that they wouldn't participate in Westminster and it would be anti-democratic to then turn round and say "elect someone else". Their constituents are clearly happy on balance with their MPs practicing abstention.

Aye thats maybe a bad example. But regardless there needs to be some kind of mechanism to remove MP’s who abstain or change parties against the wishes of their constituents. 

Sturgeon's specific criticism of Salmond today for 'being a gambler' and asking voters not to take risks with Scotland's future is quite the wild take for someone who wants a Scottish independence referendum in the near future. What's to stop the Yoons playing out that frankly gutless, shitebag soundbite, every single time they want to raise the issue of pensions and other shite?

There's a cognitive dissonance between Sturgeon's tactical desire to mollycoddle as many 'soft Yes' voters for as long as possible, and setting credible groundwork for decisively winning the case for independence. If the SNP plan on being the party of certainty over risk then they'll blow it if/when the big decision has to be made again.

Edited by vikingTON