Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

7 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Pot calling kettle there - did Clyde not beat Celtic in his first game ?

If he Didnae recognise the 3 best strikers were playing for Barca. I saw many Celtic fans over celebrate their victory over Rangers ( quite entitled too life's short) so what goes round comes round.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

Pot calling kettle there - did Clyde not beat Celtic in his first game ?

If he Didnae recognise the 3 best strikers were playing for Barca. I saw many Celtic fans over celebrate their victory over Rangers ( quite entitled too life's short) so what goes round comes round.

Aye, his debut was against Clyde.  I'm sure he said in his autobiography that he felt like he was in Hell after he joined Celtic because of some mad reason like his shirt still had a Nike tag attached to it and John Hartson was drinking Irn Bru on the way back from the Clyde game.  In all honesty the only thing I can really remember from him doing for Celtic was having Barry Ferguson in his back pocket in the only game he played against Rangers.

I mean, given our recent European form, Celtic getting to the group stages is a big thing and I don't really have any issue with us, let's face it, making up the numbers this season, as long as we take the money generated to invest in the team in order for us to view qualifying as a gimme and we aim for at least 3rd in the group.  I agree with him in the sense that we shouldn't view being cannon fodder for the big clubs year in year out a success.

Scrap the groups entirely - go back to a straight knockout format. And make it for League Champions only - when a team can finish fourth and still qualify it makes a mockery of the name.

Yeah. Copenhagen v PSG and Helsinki v Barcelona will be far more exciting and will drag the neutral fans right back into things.

10 hours ago, CityDave said:

Rodgers did a good job turning around a potential shite storm there. Its extremely hard for any clubs coming though the qualifiers especially from the first two qualifying rounds now to reach the group stages what with the seeding and with the number of clubs that enter at certain rounds. And there are some very good teams that don't even make the group stages. Its not our right to qualify for any group stages and I think many of our fans in this country underestimate how good the opposition is these days and often patronise clubs they either have never heard of before or teams from smaller nations than Scotland.

For example why does no one still not take Maribor seriously, for years this team in particular has enjoyed dumping our teams out of European competition regardless of who they are, yet Aberdeen were expected by many experts to beat them??? For any fan in this country who's club gets drawn against Maribor should refer to them as OSN Maribor (Oh Shit Not..)

I agree it's not easy for clubs to get thru the qualifiers. However as Keane has said this is Celtic, a big club with a huge fan base. As said beaten by part timers and scraped thru to the group stage and imo they may have won but especially against Hapoel, they were not the better team over two legs. But hey yes well done anyway for getting to the group stage.

I wonder if the European results by Scottish teams over the last 3 seasons are the worst since....say the last 20 years? Sorry I don't want to be pessimistic however I honestly feel we are falling behind clubs that we used to beat years ago in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Myview said:

I agree it's not easy for clubs to get thru the qualifiers. However as Keane has said this is Celtic, a big club with a huge fan base. As said beaten by part timers and scraped thru to the group stage and imo they may have won but especially against Hapoel, they were not the better team over two legs. 

Celtic 5 - 4 Hapoel Be'er Sheva. 

They Israelis just beat Inter 0-2 btw. Can someone with a lot of time on their hands quote people who called them nobodies or minnows or that please? Cheers. 

They Israelis just beat Inter 0-2 btw. Can someone with a lot of time on their hands quote people who called them nobodies or minnows or that please? Cheers. 

Does that mean Inter would get beat by Barcelona 9-0?

3 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Hopefully. Although last season we saw Celtic lose to Motherwell 1-2 and then beat them 7-0 so basically if we played 4 games in the CL group stage we're due a win at the Nou Camp anyway. #logicnotrogic

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

As BS said performances don't always equal wins. 

I wasn't talking about the score as we have all too frequently watch matches when the best team doesn't win. I was talking about performance. As I said Rodgers got his tactics spot on especially in the 2nd leg. Best performances over the season will result in more success. Tonight's result actually confirms my point that Hapoel are a good side and their performances v Celtic deserved for them to qualify for the group stage. Sorry OP,  imo Hapoel looked a better team than Celtic over two legs. 

1 hour ago, Myview said:

I agree it's not easy for clubs to get thru the qualifiers. However as Keane has said this is Celtic, a big club with a huge fan base. As said beaten by part timers and scraped thru to the group stage and imo they may have won but especially against Hapoel, they were not the better team over two legs. But hey yes well done anyway for getting to the group stage.

I wonder if the European results by Scottish teams over the last 3 seasons are the worst since....say the last 20 years? Sorry I don't want to be pessimistic however I honestly feel we are falling behind clubs that we used to beat years ago in Europe. 

You know just about feck all about football do you?, the better team on the day is the team that scores the most goals. It doesn't matter if the opposition plays the better football, more shots at goal, most possession etc etc etc, the better team is the one that puts the ball into the back of the net more times than their opponent.

Still hurting aren't you?, you don't half post some shite at times.

Your view? :lol:

1 hour ago, Myview said:

As BS said performances don't always equal wins. 

I wasn't talking about the score as we have all too frequently watch matches when the best team doesn't win. I was talking about performance. As I said Rodgers got his tactics spot on especially in the 2nd leg. Best performances over the season will result in more success. Tonight's result actually confirms my point that Hapoel are a good side and their performances v Celtic deserved for them to qualify for the group stage. Sorry OP,  imo Hapoel looked a better team than Celtic over two legs. 

f**k up TEDI

I'm not convinced you can hold Inter Milan up as any form of standard tbh, they're as inconsistent as f**k, and have games where they seemingly just can't be arsed

10 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

You know just about feck all about football do you?, the better team on the day is the team that scores the most goals. It doesn't matter if the opposition plays the better football, more shots at goal, most possession etc etc etc, the better team is the one that puts the ball into the back of the net more times than their opponent.

So the Gibraltar taxi-drivers were a better team than Celtic?

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not convinced you can hold Inter Milan up as any form of standard tbh, they're as inconsistent as f**k, and have games where they seemingly just can't be arsed

Inter Milan are certainly not the team they used to be and certainly suffer from inconsistent performances but beating them in the San Siro is still a good result, especially for a team of Be'er Sheva's standing.

Still hurting aren't you?, you don't half post some shite at times.

Your view? :lol:

[emoji23] somehow I can tell you have not been professional. To say the better team on the day is the team that scores most goals. I leave you to ask some professionals then let you reply. I noticed that you haven't replied to GordonD. About Imps being the better team or maybe you think they were?

3 hours ago, Myview said:

emoji23.png somehow I can tell you have not been professional. To say the better team on the day is the team that scores most goals. I leave you to ask some professionals then let you reply. I noticed that you haven't replied to GordonD. About Imps being the better team or maybe you think they were?

What is the primary objective in football?, scoring goals isn't it? it isn't about how fancy the team can use the ball or how long they have in their possession, it's all about banging that spherical object into the back of the opponents goal net. As for the Imps result dopey?, they were the better team on the night in Gibraltar which is why they won that tie by doing what I am trying to explain to you, they scored more goals than Celtic, hardly fucking rocket science.

I think the journey is starting to break you. :)

Archived