New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

Credit due to Scotrail. They've done well to offer extra capacity and the contingency plan seems a decent one. One of the managers down at Dunfermline town said that one service that normally carries 30 passengers had over 300 the other day. No doubt that would have been 270 cars heading south over the bridge with one punter per vehicle in the main last week.

If only Scotrail could offer this frequency of service (at more competitive prices) ongoing then maybe more would be tempted to ditch the car. Nae fucking chance.

Credit due to Scotrail. They've done well to offer extra capacity and the contingency plan seems a decent one.

Unless you happen to be a regular user of the Falkirk Grahamston to Glasgow service which has been cancelled altogether so they can use those trains over the Forth. They are now being bussed from Falkirk to Cumbernauld with pick ups at Camelon etc along the way.

Unless you happen to be a regular user of the Falkirk Grahamston to Glasgow service which has been cancelled altogether so they can use those trains over the Forth. They are now being bussed from Falkirk to Cumbernauld with pick ups at Camelon etc along the way.

I'm surprised the Alloa trains haven't been pulled yet.

Credit due to Scotrail. They've done well to offer extra capacity and the contingency plan seems a decent one. One of the managers down at Dunfermline town said that one service that normally carries 30 passengers had over 300 the other day. No doubt that would have been 270 cars heading south over the bridge with one punter per vehicle in the main last week.

If only Scotrail could offer this frequency of service (at more competitive prices) ongoing then maybe more would be tempted to ditch the car. Nae fucking chance.

Prices are ridiculous though, why would anyone walk to the station and lose half an hour only to pay more than it costs to run a car?

Side question...

Is this going to change any posters life?

Ie, get a job nearer home, or a house nearer the job?

I always hated commuting, pointless and expensive. A less well paid job but say 15-20 hours more at home? Or a smaller house/flat in the city but no commute ?

Side question...

I always hated commuting, pointless and expensive. A less well paid job but say 15-20 hours more at home? Or a smaller house/flat in the city but no commute ?

The bridge was shut a few times in winter 2010, stopping me getting to work and I got so pissed off with it I moved to Edinburgh.

Side question...

You do realise you've provided some ammunition regarding your living arrangements.

Prices are ridiculous though, why would anyone walk to the station and lose half an hour only to pay more than it costs to run a car?

My other half and I commuted from Keith to Aberdeen for a while (100 mile round trip*) and the monthly train pass was going to be ~£600 p/m for the two of us. Given that it cost us ~£240 p/m on diesel to drive in, it was a bit of a no-brainer. Seems to be a case that public transport prices in general reflect a 'luxury' option for those who can't be arsed driving. Not a chance that so called green schemes are going to make a significant difference when driving is notably cheaper.

*took an hour one way, almost same length of time as it takes a friend who lives in Aberdeen to drive out to Dyce 6 miles away in rush hour traffic.

Edited by Hedgecutter

You do realise you've provided some ammunition regarding your living arrangements.

Not really, when I was at the fishing this year I stayed on the boat on off days. Previously at the fish farm it was their out the way carpark.

In Edinburgh it was easily walkable until I got punted to the Straiton shop.

Now it will be so much easier when I figure out what job next, I can just 'go'. No notice on a place to give, no flitting, no struggle to find accommodation in any form of price range.

Could be 'there' to start tomorrow . Simpler way if life.

Not really, when I was at the fishing this year I stayed on the boat on off days. Previously at the fish farm it was their out the way carpark.

In Edinburgh it was easily walkable until I got punted to the Straiton shop.

Now it will be so much easier when I figure out what job next, I can just 'go'. No notice on a place to give, no flitting, no struggle to find accommodation in any form of price range.

Could be 'there' to start tomorrow . Simpler way if life.

You living in a box?

Lol, I honestly haven't spent a night in a house this year. Plus I'm 6" 4'.

Why? Pretty much found it impossible to get accommodation as I got a pooch. Folk don't want smokers/dogs etc these days.

Probably you could add up my 'in house' time from 2007 and youd get less than 2 years.

Lol, I honestly haven't spent a night in a house this year. Plus I'm 6" 4'.

Why? Pretty much found it impossible to get accommodation as I got a pooch. Folk don't want smokers/dogs etc these days.

Probably you could add up my 'in house' time from 2007 and youd get less than 2 years.

Have I just read this or am I drunk?