Best and worst signing of 2015

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shinnie is the best player in the team at the mo so he kinda has to be best signing.

I think Quinn's been quite good since arriving and so for worst I am going for Parker. We've needed another option up top at times this season and he hasn't been able to offer it. Had he been better we would have picked up more points this season.

Best - Mustapha Dumbuya. Was a toss up between him and Cerny but the fact that our form drastically improved when he joined plus him being an absolute #baller edges it for me.

Worst - David Amoo. I see a couple of people picking Edwards, but I'm just going on the fact that he's played a fairly significant chunk of games this season and has been terrible. Just when you think there's hints of a decent player starting to show, he shites out of a challenge or makes a hash of a run to bring it crashing back to reality.

Saints only signed seven players in 2015, so these are the candidates:

Danny Swanson (12 apps/2 goals)

Brad McKay (4 apps/1 goal)

Joe Shaughnessy (22 apps/ 1 goal)

Graham Cummins (17 apps/6 goals)

John Sutton (14 apps/1 goal)

Liam Craig (18 apps/3 goals)

Darnell Fisher (7 apps/0 goals)

Danny Swanson, after an inauspicious start that saw him booed off after 60 minutes on his debut, became highly influential in us reaching Europe but I would prefer to look at the summer arrivals. They can pretty much be split down the middle. Liam Craig has fitted back in well after his spell at Hibs but it's arguably the two lowest key signings that have made the biggest impact. Shaughnessy isn't a flashy player but is dependable and certainly from open play, you'd struggle to attribute any of the goals we've conceded down to him. He's been eclipsed by Graham Cummins though, who has already been rewarded with a new deal until 2018. A goalscorer who is good in the air and can run in behind, he's created as many goals as he's scored.

Fisher has padded out the squad but has struggled to establish himself whilst McKay hasn't been seen in months. The hope was that he'd replace Frazer Wright gradually but he's not managed a single minute since Wright was released in August. The biggest disappointment has been John Sutton though. It wasn't a signing I was sold on but his goalscoring record promised more than he's delivered. He scored a good goal on his debut but has looked lost in the other limited starts he's had. Occasionally there has been an impact off the bench but no more than the cameos where he's offered nothing. At this stage, it's hard to see him coming good.

Best - Zippy Cummins.

Worst - Difficult because it's pretty unfair to judge Sutton or McKay based on very limited games. Sutton has been particularly unfortunate as I've a feeling he might have been a regular without Maccas goal glut and the form of Cummins.

Probably have to go for one of them though and I'll go McKay.

Best signing: There's been a few good ones at Ross County, but Craig Curran, whilst not the most talented of them, embodies the spirit that kept us up in the end.

Worst signing: There were a fair few panic buys mid-way through last season, but I have to go for Abdoulaye Meite for this. He may well have been better than some of the others, but we never got to see him play, and surely took a higher wage than most.

Best: Louis Moult. Some boy. He can come round mine for tea.

Worst: Joe Chalmers. The same defensive capability as digging a hole in the left back area, except the hole might actually stop someone, sometime.

Best signing: There's been a few good ones at Ross County, but Craig Curran, whilst not the most talented of them, embodies the spirit that kept us up in the end.

Worst signing: There were a fair few panic buys mid-way through last season, but I have to go for Abdoulaye Meite for this. He may well have been better than some of the others, but we never got to see him play, and surely took a higher wage than most.

You ain't seen nothing like the Meite-Quinn, partnership in defence :(

They've both left now! We'll never get to sing that! :bairn

Best: This season it's probably Juanma due to his goals and ability to troll the rest of the SPFL into oblivion, special mention to Rossi as well who's hit the ground running. Though if it's the whole of 2015 I'd probably say Zeefuik, he was tremendous at a time when we were a bit thin on the ground and played a huge role in keeping a huge gap between us and the also rans.

Worst: hard to see past Anderson, he had a dream debut and has contributed not a lot since. Feel a wee bit sorry he wasn't given more of a chance, but there's probably a very simple reason for that.

Best - it's a very close run thing between Scott Fox and Andrew Davies, but as Fox has been injured the last couple of months, I'll go with Davies. Turned our central defence from a cowering bunch of scaredy cats into a mean, lean, goal preventing machine. Mostly.

Worst - Ian McShane. Purely because I think he's really good and we've barely seen it.

Best - Danny Ward. Instrumental in our European games and has won us many points this season. Thank goodness Klopp is giving Mignolet another contract tomorrow and they dont want him back.

Worst - Ryan McLaughlin. Was very poor v Hamilton and should have been sent back to Liverpool after a woeful performance against Hibs.

Archived