Dundee United v Motherwell

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Following our sensational and thoroughly deserved victory at Celtic Park, we have the prospect of another away trip to face the team at the opposite end of the league on Boxing Day.

For the most part, the team picks itself at the moment. The only change I would make from the starting XI at Celtic Park would be Ainsworth starting ahead of Grimshaw as he made a more worthwhile contribution when he came on for the second half - although guilty of a glaring miss when clean through on goal, he played a role in eventually winning the penalty by pressing and harassing their defence and set up a great chance for Johnson on the break. The first half at Parkhead was an accomplished display of containment without managing a shot on goal, but after the break we were far more attack minded; the two wingers gives the side more balance and we should be looking to get at the joint worst defence in the league.

--------------------Ripley--------------------

Law------Hall------McManus------Hammell

Ainsworth---Lasley---Pearson---Johnson

-------------McDonald---Moult-------------

As for Dundee United, it's hard to know what to make of them at times. Based on their highlights, on some days they seem to be every bit as bad as their position suggests, while in other games (St Johnstone and Hamilton at home) they seem to have played well and created some great chances yet somehow contrived to lose. 2 wins in 19 speaks for itself, though, and it's looking grim for them.

Having lost on our last four visits to Tannadice, it's strange to be going into this one as favourites. In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if we manage to lose this after such a sensational result at Parkhead, but if we can get close to that level of performance, we're more than capable of getting the win here.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Grimshaw's fit (apparently he was subbed off at Parkhead as he had been ill through the week) then I really can't see us changing the starting line-up. If we can start with Pearson, Lasley and Grimshaw that would hopefully give us a decent chance of competing in the centre of the park against the likes of Rankin and Demel and building from there.

Having said that, if United are still playing 3 at the back then there's surely got to be a temptation to get both Johnson and Ainsworth involved.

Other than that, aye, the team pretty much picks itself at the moment.

The Great Arab Winter Uprising starts here. Reversing a season of thrown points, United stage a late comeback to snatch a well-deserved victory from the jaws of defeat.

4-3, Erskine, Ainsworth, McD, McD, McKay, Gunning, McKay.

A win here and we got 14 points clear of Utd (with a game in hand). A big chance for us also, to get ourselves up the table as there are currently 3 points between 5th and 10th.

This will still be a tough game, although I am confident we can get a result with the forward players we have. If Grimshaw is fit, I'd go with the same starting XI as the Celtic game, and leave Ainsworth on the bench. Gives us a great option to come on for the last 20-30 minutes.

I'd take a point if offered just now, but maybe the confidence is returning to the side and we can sneak this.

Dundee Utd 1-2 Motherwell (Johnson, Moult)

Following our sensational and thoroughly deserved victory at Celtic Park, we have the prospect of another away trip to face the team at the opposite end of the league on Boxing Day.

For the most part, the team picks itself at the moment. The only change I would make from the starting XI at Celtic Park would be Ainsworth starting ahead of Grimshaw as he made a more worthwhile contribution when he came on for the second half - although guilty of a glaring miss when clean through on goal, he played a role in eventually winning the penalty by pressing and harassing their defence and set up a great chance for Johnson on the break. The first half at Parkhead was an accomplished display of containment without managing a shot on goal, but after the break we were far more attack minded; the two wingers gives the side more balance and we should be looking to get at the joint worst defence in the league.

--------------------Ripley--------------------

Law------Hall------McManus------Hammell

Ainsworth---Lasley---Pearson---Johnson

-------------McDonald---Moult-------------

As for Dundee United, it's hard to know what to make of them at times. Based on their highlights, on some days they seem to be every bit as bad as their position suggests, while in other games (St Johnstone and Hamilton at home) they seem to have played well and created some great chances yet somehow contrived to lose. 2 wins in 19 speaks for itself, though, and it's looking grim for them.

Having lost on our last four visits to Tannadice, it's strange to be going into this one as favourites. In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if we manage to lose this after such a sensational result at Parkhead, but if we can get close to that level of performance, we're more than capable of getting the win here.

You do realise sacrificing one of our wide players has been key to making us more compact with an introduction later in games to influence proceedings? As you were for me...

I don't want United to go down but obviously I want us to win so 3 points please. Hoping to go as well if I'm not rough as f**k.

Anyone know how often we win the following game after beating the old firm? My negativity is telling me never but I'm interested to know.

2010/11

Motherwell 2-0 Celtic 27/02/2011

Inverness CT 3-0 Motherwell 05/03/2011

2012/13

Motherwell 2-1 Celtic 27/02/2013

Hearts 1-2 Motherwell 02/03/2013

Motherwell 3-1 Celtic 28/04/2013

Inverness CT 4-3 Motherwell 04/05/2013

2014/15

Rangers 1-3 Motherwell 28/05/2015

Motherwell 3-0 Rangers 31/05/2015

2015/16

Inverness CT 0-1 Motherwell 01/08/2015

So over the last 5 years, in the 4 games following victories over the "Old Firm" we've won 2 and lost 2.

Archived