Gardening Thread

38 minutes ago, throbber said:

I cracked on with the above in January time, I used some loose material for under the sleepers so the water could drain away and used teram to stop soil falling into garden the other side of fence. I also covered the sleepers with membrane just to protect them a bit long term. Then I filled with top soil and planted a few trees and shrubs and some bulbs recently which I’m worried will die but it looks good.

174A77A1-862E-47C0-B7F3-D790AF00CB2E.jpeg

I didn't realise I was answering  a post from mid 2022! Ah well, better late than never.

P.S, Looks good. but I'd have mitred that log joint!

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I cracked on with the above in January time, I used some loose material for under the sleepers so the water could drain away and used teram to stop soil falling into garden the other side of fence. I also covered the sleepers with membrane just to protect them a bit long term. Then I filled with top soil and planted a few trees and shrubs and some bulbs recently which I’m worried will die but it looks good.

174A77A1-862E-47C0-B7F3-D790AF00CB2E.jpeg

Pet Cemetery ?

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, throbber said:

It’s going to frost over tonight if anyone has plants that can be taken inside or covered up overnight to prevent them dying. My dahlia tubers are covered with kingspan

Mrs BID's camellias plus a couple of cheapo project clematis have been battered this winter, she got a camellia from grandson the other week so now sitting in garage. Minus 5c promised here but has clouded over a bit.

Didn't water any seedlings etc today in case...

19 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Early tatties planted on Friday. About 7 to 10 days later than usual but never seen our lovely sandy soil so wet. Mix of Epicure and Foremost. Will post pics of first liftings mid to late June.

Is the warmth in the soil not more important? I don't think I'd be risking putting them in yet.

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is the warmth in the soil not more important? I don't think I'd be risking putting them in yet.

The soil wasn't particularly cold and they are deep enough to avoid the wee touch of frost last couple of nights. Will come OK, I'd be more concerned about cold once they show above ground but that's 3 to 4 weeks yet.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

I wish my mrs had that sort of enthusiasm for the garden. She accuses me of being obsessed over it as if wanting a nice looking garden is a bad thing.

It's all pots/tubs here..

even the bamboo....

Mrs BID sits all summer outside...

ground is let's say..

usual builder's quality (haha) top soil..

put more guttering up for various earlier...

I keep threatening raised beds but not the biggest of gardens..

promises of reaching 0C this evening, got down to 2.3c at 7am this morning..

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As as been pointed out before, why bother, it's all greenish.

Yup.

I keep threatening to have the back garden replaced with a swimming pool. 

But, you know. Lochee, Friday nights after closing time. Recipe for disaster. 

I'm a gardener in real life, just noticed this thread.

A few years ago I decided to sort my front lawn (moss) it's north facing but I thought I'd at least try and make it look like a gardener lived here.

I scarified , aerated  , topped dressed  and reseeded it. It took me all afternoon.

I went into the kitchen got a beer from the fridge and went to the living room window to admire my graft to be confronted by around 20 pigeons having the feast of their lives with the seed I put down. It looked shit for a year.

I now just throw down aftercut to make it green

7 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

I'm a gardener in real life, just noticed this thread.

A few years ago I decided to sort my front lawn (moss) it's north facing but I thought I'd at least try and make it look like a gardener lived here.

I scarified , aerated  , topped dressed  and reseeded it. It took me all afternoon.

I went into the kitchen got a beer from the fridge and went to the living room window to admire my graft to be confronted by around 20 pigeons having the feast of their lives with the seed I put down. It looked shit for a year.

I now just throw down aftercut to make it green

A perfect example of when to set the cat among the pigeons.

Front grass, North facing and virtually no sun for 4 months so as much moss as grass come every Spring. Give it 2 months and it's parched so the moss turns dark brown and it just lifts away with a light rake. Come September it looks lovely and green again nearly all grass before the next 4 months of winter kicks in a few weeks later to give the full "rinse and repeat" cycle all over again. I learned to live with it years ago. Still looks better and 10 times better for the environment than monoblock that three quarters of the houses round here have put in now.

• 1 month later...

Needing a bit of help here... My path from my front door (3x2 slabs) sort of falls away on a gentle slope from the door to the drive. The grass at the side had began to creep over the side of the path, so I get an edging spade and cleaned it up. But now the sort of muddy edge of the lawn is raised up above the slabs once they start to slope away. 

How should I resolve this? Everything I can think of is awkward because of the slight height difference?