Gardening Thread

23 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^ Beautiful pics, dhd..............Your garden looks massive !

It’s a bit of work 😅 here’s a picture of my back garden, taken from just outside the back of it (it backs on to some common ground)

IMG_3436.thumb.jpeg.9cc4beb34e1bc31b8ee6452404ae88a9.jpeg

Kept my olive tree in the garden room throughout the winter to shelter it from the cold. The garden room doesn’t get much light in the winter (glass predominantly faces westwards).  Made sure the tree still got a little water. 

When I took the plant out a few weeks ago I notice some yellowing to the tips of some leaves.  I re-potted it into a larger pot but the yellowing of the leaves appear to be getting worse.

Any ideas what is wrong?

IMG_7939.jpeg

5 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Kept my olive tree in the garden room throughout the winter to shelter it from the cold. The garden room doesn’t get much light in the winter (glass predominantly faces westwards).  Made sure the tree still got a little water. 

When I took the plant out a few weeks ago I notice some yellowing to the tips of some leaves.  I re-potted it into a larger pot but the yellowing of the leaves appear to be getting worse.

Any ideas what is wrong?

IMG_7939.jpeg

It's cold wind damage. The damaged leaves will eventually fall off but Olives really don't like cold winds. Bring it out during the days but I'd move it back indoors at night for a couple more weeks certainly, even till mid May if its still chilly at nights.

18 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It's cold wind damage. The damaged leaves will eventually fall off but Olives really don't like cold winds. Bring it out during the days but I'd move it back indoors at night for a couple more weeks certainly, even till mid May if it’s still chilly at nights.

Very much appreciate your advice on that one.  I’ve probably underestimated how cold it gets and the winds were horrendous a wee while back.  

Can be a bit heavy moving it but I’ll certainly give it a try.  

5 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Very much appreciate your advice on that one.  I’ve probably underestimated how cold it gets and the winds were horrendous a wee while back.  

Is it small enough for a large clear bin liner? Cover it at night or if the winds kick up perhaps…but make sure to secure that bag in that case.

7 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Wind really does batter plants more than most realise. Especially cold winds.

Maybe some horticultural fleece or as TxRover says, a clear bin liner would do the job. Just watch for the sun early morning burning the leaves if there's any condensation from the bin liner.

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Still no windows in but no rush on them. Roof is on. Staging area for my plants and potting table done. 

20240516_205413.jpg

44 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20240516_205424.jpg

44 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20240522_214034.jpg

That looks superb! Great effort. 

• 2 weeks later...