Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGinn didn't just start playing football this season. He played over 100 games in the top flight for St Mirren, and won the League Cup. He stood out as an exciting talent when he played for Saints.

Indeed, that's what makes him one to keep an eye on. But I don't think he did anything with St Mirren to suggest he was ready for international football, and I just don't see what's changed since then.

As I said earlier in the that though, it's not as if we're leaving anyone brilliant out, so I assume that Strachan is just taking a gamble on the player he thinks might have the brightest future. Not the approach I would take, but it's not a major point.

I doubt he'll even play, it's not a gamble/risk at all. He's called up young players over the last couple of years just to get a look at them and see how they are around the squad.

It's a good idea imo.

The only central midfielders in the same squad as him are Bridcutt and Brown, possibly Mulgrew. I'd be amazed if he never got on.

Someone mentioned Barry Douglas.  He's probably be worth a look.  Playing in the Europa League for Lech Poznan last season and winning the league and his current side are cigaring their way to a EL spot this term in Turkey.  He's clearly got something about him if he's playing in Europe competition for an overseas club.  And his set pieces are quote something.

Strachan probably doesn't even know he exists.

Gamble might have been a more accurate word. Only in the sense of not knowing if he's really anywhere near the required level yet. In a league where Kenny Miller is a stand out, it's difficult to determine how good a player really is. I didn't mean it was a big risk in the grand scheme of things relating to the national team - there's a substantial risk of him not being good enough, moreso than those who are playing capably at a higher level. Strachan is taking a gamble because there's no way of knowing if he's good enough yet.

And perhaps fair enough if he just wants to see him in training, he's done that with other players, but I tend to think he would be better off in the u21s. I don't like the tenancy we sometimes have of handing out caps so easily. As pointed out, it was a disaster for us in the Vogts era. There's not much to be gained there.

IMO the best use of friendlies is to get the players must likely to start in competitive games used to playing together, which includes introducing young players on the cusp of that. But there's a difference between being almost there, and being a few years away yet.

You're contradicting yourself here. You've said yourself that it's difficult to say how good McGinn is due to the league he plays in. Surely it makes sense to have a look at him at a higher level in a meaningless friendly. There are still countless players ahead of him, the only reason he is there is because Strachan is taking more players than usual

You're contradicting yourself here. You've said yourself that it's difficult to say how good McGinn is due to the league he plays in. Surely it makes sense to have a look at him at a higher level in a meaningless friendly. There are still countless players ahead of him, the only reason he is there is because Strachan is taking more players than usual

If it's your view that friendlies should be used to take a gamble on young players that might it might not be good enough, then fair enough. I agree, that's an important part of it. But it's a risk, in that sense, selecting a player from that level because of how far below the required level it is. That's all my original point was. And I added to it that I don't think McGinn is worth that slot in the squad right now.

I'm not that much of a nationalist in general terms, to be honest. So residency is the thing of primary importance to me.

But it's not something I'm particularly bothered about. And i do accept that on practical terms it would be difficult to exclude such players. The grandparent rule takes it too far, but those are the rules so I'm happy to support anyone who qualifies.

So the fact I've not lived in Scotland for 5 years of my life means I'm not Scottish to you?

Thanks for filling me in there pal.

So the fact I've not lived in Scotland for 5 years of my life means I'm not Scottish to you?

Thanks for filling me in there pal.

Aye, I'm going to burn my Scotland top & my son's. He's only three, so plenty of time for him to stay in Scotland before selection.

Can Tierney play right back? Robertson is surely a stick on for left back for just now.

I hope so. Strachan has a habit of inverting wingers so it might be something he does to try to get the best out of these two outstanding young defenders.

If this worked and we had one cracking young CB too our defence would actually have a bit of promise to it.

Thanks for filling me in pal.

That's not what I said. I wasn't talking about nationality in that sense, I was talking about eligibility for playing for a team. As it stands, not every Scottish person (or British person residing in Scotland) is eligible to play for Scotland. No-one can tell them they're not Scottish. I'd be inclined to see it tilt the other way, but as I said, I'm not too bothered about it.

Anyone know the quickest way of getting back from st.mirren's ground to Hampden for the denmark game.

Well drive/taxi would be the quickest way.

Public transport; get a train from Paisley St James - which is right beside the ground - to Central then change there for a train to Mount Florida.

Well drive/taxi would be the quickest way.

Public transport; get a train from Paisley St James - which is right beside the ground - to Central then change there for a train to Mount Florida.

Cheers. Thinking of taking up the offer for the free under 21 ticket. 

Tierney off injured for Celtic.  Would be magnificent if Wallace still wasn't called up.  Would genuinely like to see Barry Douglas in.

On topic of the U21s game, I just bought tickets there, do you get a ticket with that, or can you just turn up at the game with your Denmark ticket?

Archived