Bernie the Bolt

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins on Radio Scotland this morning. He says that offensive behaviour is not just an Old Firm problem and to suggest that it is, is a 'myth'. He went on to say that 38 of Scotland's 42 senior clubs have a hooligan element. As a supporter of a club which has played at three of the four levels in the Scottish senior game in the past 8 years, I can honestly say that home or away I have seen offensive/threatening behaviour from only one set of fans. I'll leave you to surmise which club they follow.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins on Radio Scotland this morning. He says that offensive behaviour is not just an Old Firm problem and to suggest that it is, is a 'myth'. He went on to say that 38 of Scotland's 42 senior clubs have a hooligan element. As a supporter of a club which has played at three of the four levels in the Scottish senior game in the past 8 years, I can honestly say that home or away I have seen offensive/threatening behaviour from only one set of fans. I'll leave you to surmise which club they follow.

Aye Alloa Athletic, Fucking scumbag hooligans, ban them from the leagues

I heard that as well, I'd love to know the statistics around who's been arrested and where. I've certainly never heard anything sectarian (or racist) at the Rock, or seen any crowd trouble.

Surely they must be available somewhere?

I heard his comments on the Radio and they angered me.

The interviewer put to him that lots of fans will say it's essentially an OF problem, which he countered with the idea that 38 clubs have a hooligan element, while 16 have had fans charged under the Offensive Behaviour Act.

Using such facts to imply that the difficulties are equally shared is thoroughly dishonest.

If on Hibs' next visit to Palmerston, I stand up to loudly declare that Stubbs is a ****** b*****d or that I'm up to my knees in ****** blood, I'll rightly be arrested, ejected and charged. Yet, literally thousands were able to do that at Ibrox just after Christmas with no punishment.

That's why you get handfuls of arrests around the country, while huge numbers can break the law with impunity at the only two places where the the difficulty resides and gets exported from.

There is not the will to truly address this problem, because there is not a willingness to truly recognise it.

I heard his comments on the Radio and they angered me.

The interviewer put to him that lots of fans will say it's essentially an OF problem, which he countered with the idea that 38 clubs have a hooligan element, while 16 have had fans charged under the Offensive Behaviour Act.

Using such facts to imply that the difficulties are equally shared is thoroughly dishonest.

If on Hibs' next visit to Palmerston, I stand up to loudly declare that Stubbs is a ****** b*****d or that I'm up to my knees in ****** blood, I'll rightly be arrested, ejected and charged. Yet, literally thousands were able to do that at Ibrox just after Christmas with no punishment.

That's why you get handfuls of arrests around the country, while huge numbers can break the law with impunity at the only two places where the the difficulty resides and gets exported from.

There is not the will to truly address this problem, because there is not a willingness to truly recognise it.

At least if you were to do that you could safe in the knowledge you'd be defended by some of our fans on social media because at least you were "trying to provide an atmosphere".

Like you say, you can't solve a problem until people accept there is one.

At least if you were to do that you could safe in the knowledge you'd be defended by some of our fans on social media because at least you were "trying to provide an atmosphere".

Like you say, you can't solve a problem until people accept there is one.

Yes, that's true.

I'd be defended to the death on QueensMad.

If 38 of the clubs have a hooligan element, how is it that the majority of the clubs in the seaside leagues don't segregate fans and allow fans to mix in with each other. See Albion Rovers, Berwick Rangers and Forfar as examples.

The hassles I've seen are more from the teenage to early 20's element trying to strut their stuff rather than a hooligan element.

I think Sevco fan Higgins should visit these grounds where its a normal league game rather than Sevco and their mass of drunken idiots descending on poor unsuspecting smaller grounds.

I'd love to know how they're defining "hooligan element".

^^^ This. I've seen an occasional one off scrap at the football the last few years. It's nothing like the large scale hooligan stuff from back in the day. I'd be amazed if there are a group of fans at the majority of clubs that go out looking for trouble which is how I'd define it.

I think Sevco fan Higgins should visit these grounds where its a normal league game rather than Sevco and their mass of drunken idiots descending on poor unsuspecting smaller grounds.

Very much this. I reckon most of us will have been called Oran/Fen b*stards depending on which half of the cheeks we were playing.

It is not inconceivable, indeed it is probable that some fans of normal clubs have responded kind in the face of such provocation.

This is then seized upon by the permanently offended that club normal has a sectarian element.

It is of course arrant nonsense!

I heard it as well and it angered me also. He should have been challenged on how he defined hooligan element, which clubs he was suggesting had them, who the 16 clubs were who have had people arrested, and why they are happy to arrest/eject one or two diddy fans if they step out of line but ignore tens of thousands of the arse cheeks.

We all know why, and it won't ever be fixed until the police grow a set.

Perhaps one of his best lines was that anyone who felt uncomfortable or offended at other supporters behaviour should report it to the police. Offence is one of the great growth industries of the 21st century but I have to say there is a supporter who sits in front of me who farts on a regular basis. The resultant sulphuric cloud is just about the most offensive thing I encounter at a game.

Look out for his hearing at the Sheriff Court next week.

Archived