Part Time V Full Time

Been chatting about this recently with some friends and after reading the Rovers Vs Sons thread I thought it would be good to bring it into its own thread.

Is there really still a massive gulf between FT teams and PT teams in Scotland?

Don't get me wrong I understand there is a difference between my team Dumbarton and Real Madrid. But say a third Div side Vs a first div yes I'm sure the first div team may have more skillful players but the third div team can be setup to be hardworking take chances.

What's people thoughts?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunfermline are the only full time team in our league and despite a few poor results they're pretty much coasting it, just like QOTS did the last time we were in the third tier, when they were the only FT club. Dumbarton are doing exceptionally well with their resources.

Been chatting about this recently with some friends and after reading the Rovers Vs Sons thread I thought it would be good to bring it into its own thread.

Don't get me wrong I understand there is a difference between my team Dumbarton and Real Madrid. But say a third Div side Vs a first div yes I'm sure the first div team may have more skillful players but the third div team can be setup to be hardworking take chances.

What's people thoughts?

In terms of fitness levels it's probably closer now than it ever has but in terms of technical ability and tactics I think a full time team will always have the advantage as they have more time to work on it.

Our full time "adventure" is a waste. God knows what they do all week. Taking 1 point against 2 part time teams is a disgrace. So for me it's a failed experiment. I'd rather we had a team of F/T and P/T players like before. Atleast there wasn't many expectations.

Dunfermline are the only full time team in our league and despite a few poor results they're pretty much coasting it, just like QOTS did the last time we were in the third tier, when they were the only FT club. Dumbarton are doing exceptionally well with their resources.

But then, Dunfermline spunked £200k and failed to even make the playoffs last season. The season before the same pretty much happened. Queens smashed their way up, but they seem a far more solid team.

Heard Dumbarton were flirting with the idea of going full time if they stayed up this year. Any truth to that?

Unless the bus loads that leave the town for Old Firm games every week start turning up at The Rock then I'm afraid we'll need to file that in the "insane ideas" category.

Most part time players do fitness work on their own in between training sessions so whilst there is still a difference, it's not as big as it has been. There's a skills difference between the divisions but within a division it's probably narrow. You can add in things like sports science? Full time physio etc. The overall package does add up to a gap, but most part time teams can give it a good go on any given game.

It's stringing those results together that's the problem. Easier to manage a full time squad and carry quality on the bench. Part time teams usually can't find the consistency that full time teams in the same league can.

Thought as much. Boy I know who works with their youth squad said it was a plan - sounded unlikely

It wouldn't surprise me if there were 1 or 2 individuals at the club touting the idea but it would be mental and I'd hope the saner voices at the club would prevail.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were 1 or 2 individuals at the club touting the idea but it would be mental and I'd hope the saner voices at the club would prevail.

The hybrid trialed by Cowden last season was far from successful and seems to have really eaten into their funds.

What's people thoughts?

If there wasn't a massive gulf then why are there not any part time teams in the top tier?

But then, Dunfermline spunked £200k and failed to even make the playoffs last season. The season before the same pretty much happened. Queens smashed their way up, but they seem a far more solid team.

The same didn't pretty much happen, we finished very comfortably in second, only behind full time Rangers.

And while we were a shambles last year, the winner of the league was full time Morton. We were managed so mediocre last season that it totally neglected any advantage being full time brings. AJ has rectified it this season and we're comfortably top.

Archived