Idiotic mis-interpretations of sayings.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Americans attempting to seem not arsed about something by suggesting that they COULD care less. Bizarre.

Yeah, but it has its own logic if sarcasm is involved.

Exactly. The original phrase was "cheap at twice the price", meaning a great deal.

This was later tweaked to "cheap at half the price" by various wags, aiming to rip the piss out of mugs overpaying for tat.

The tragedy is that utter imbeciles have since heard the second phrase and repeated it for precisely the wrong reason.

Wikipedia suggests the phrase "cheap at half the price" is the correct phrase, and originated in the middle ages where 'cheap' (or cheep) was a term used to describe goods or property.

That means the original use of the phrase was to identify goods that were reduced in price, with the meaning being lost as 'cheep' being used in this manner fell out of favour.

I had an ex who quite happily used to chant along with Deacon Blue's biggest hit, belting out "a chute called Dignity".

Aye, he sailed a playpark toy up the west coast, ya pie.

Guy I used to drink with was under the impression that Billy Haley and His Comets sang "Shake, Marilyn Monroe"...

"It begs the question" is probably one of the more famous examples of "misinterpretations of sayings", rather than the "shit people say that annoy me".

http://begthequestion.info/

This is the one I instantly thought of (along with the previously-mentioned "exception that proves the rule"). However, the example in your link isn't what I took to be "begging the question". I assumed it referred to someone making a claim based on an assumption, with the "question begged" concerning the truth of that assumption.

E.g. "I can't believe everyone thinks murder is an acceptable crime" begs the question, "who the hell thinks that? Where is your proof?"

Not so much a saying but a place in this example - worked in an insurance office and one of the older women took a call for travel insurance - she took down all the details before passing it across for me to work out the price. Apparently the customer was going to "the Lands of Rotty".

As for the wrong words being used - I too have had managers insisting on using "pacifically" and "irregardless". (both of whom became victims of the gigglers in team meetings)

And while we're all at it, can I get a couple of grievances aired?

1) use of apostrophes (agree with the earlier poster) - they are there to help your readers understand sentences...don't add them unnecessarily, miss them out completely or put them in the wrong place. Thank's.

2) "With regards to". It's "with regard to" or even better "regarding". You can send "your regards" to someone but that's it!

Rant over.

On apostrophes, there was a shop in Dundee up Lochee way that I wish I'd taken a photo of. I can't remember the specific title but it was something along the lines of "Bobs Snack's". I was incandescent with rage when I saw it.

(can't remember what the shop sold or indeed the owner's name now but you get the idea).

On apostrophes, there was a shop in Dundee up Lochee way that I wish I'd taken a photo of. I can't remember the specific title but it was something along the lines of "Bobs Snack's". I was incandescent with rage when I saw it.

(can't remember what the shop sold or indeed the owner's name now but you get the idea).

Probably snack's'

I used to live by "Ross's Bar" which always amused me, it enraged my mate who was called Ross tho.

Archived