Idiotic mis-interpretations of sayings.

Not entirely special - they have to share it with the people that eat "brooshetta".

My mum insists she has an ong suite off her bedroom. If I hadn't given her a difficult birth, she'd be getting slashed

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoney, this is a well-used phrase on the board. A search for it will return 8 pages of dross.

I've been called, "A pedantic arse" for objecting to it. Rightly, of course.

That's just blatantly obvious :P

You're right. As a generous soul I've used by quota of green yins but I'll slip one in the hip pocket for you tomorrow.

I used to live in Northern Ireland.

A saying there was, your heads cut.

I didn't like to say no it's not incase they cut it!

Another saying was, at the end of a sentence a lot of people said "like".

Ah!! Not sure I do though I won't say otherwise.

Or, "you know".

Yes I do, but I'm not saying so!

As things have gone grammatical.

The influx of Americanisms into the language.

People who use the word awesome the phrase my bad and miss use crazy, super, like etc and to a lesser extent, and mentioned earlier, the use of season instead of series really need to get a grip of themselves.

Unless they accept that they are Scotch from Scatland and personally know everyone in the country as a friend, then thats okay.

I used to live in Northern Ireland.

A saying there was, your heads cut.

I didn't like to say no it's not incase they cut it!

Another saying was, at the end of a sentence a lot of people said "like".

Ah!! Not sure I do though I won't say otherwise.

Or, "you know".

Yes I do, but I'm not saying so!

Working with a load of Irish lads during World cup 2002. I asked one of them for his views on the Roy Keane situation and he told me that his head had got too big for his boots????. Also worked in Irvine years ago with a Guy whose favourite topic was secretarianism.

Doesn't really bother me people not being grammatically correct, language is alive and therefore always evolving, If some of the grammar police on here had a time machine and went back 100 years ,people would think you were brought up in a zoo the way you talk.

Saying that...a few English sayings that nag me:

"Let's see if we can't"

"I was sat/stood"

And scoucers who pronounce 'but' as 'bughhh! Bughhh!'

Doesn't really bother me people not being grammatically correct, language is alive and therefore always evolving, If some of the grammar police on here had a time machine and went back 100 years ,people would think you were brought up in a zoo the way you talk.

"Let's see if we can't"

"I was sat/stood"

Or the American-style double negative, very common in song lyrics - "ain't no sunshine", "I can't get no satisfaction", and tons more. Ain't no sense in it.

Or the American-style double negative, very common in song lyrics - "ain't no sunshine", "I can't get no satisfaction", and tons more. Ain't no sense in it.

Better still, questions with double negatives; you can answer yes or no and it means the same.

"Let's see if we can't"

"I was sat/stood"

FWIW, I think we should all adopt the Highland use of 'jamp' to replace 'jumped'. Great word.

FWIW, I think we should all adopt the Highland use of 'jamp' to replace 'jumped'. Great word.

Do they say that up north? Kids at my school at Livingston say that all the time. Literally makes me want to rip their fucking heads off.

Archived