Idiotic mis-interpretations of sayings.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With you on most of that...but a wee tad harsh with the imply/infer point...i reckon I've misused both in the past...dumbfucker that I am!

We probably all misuse many terms for ages, but you're still allowed the rant! It only took one post for Romeo to point out my idiocy for example!

I spent years saying "seeg" for segue, even though (and this is the idiotic part) the correct pronunciation of segue; segway, was a part of my vocabulary. It was just a dipshitted blindspot.

Also, people who put apostrophes in any word with an s at the end should be shot.

A guy I work with regularly send group emails out that begin "hey guy's".

I get a bit sad each time.

I think what used to annoy me most about my ex-boss and his poor grammar & spelling was that he thought he was a bit of an authority on these matters, and also wasn't the kind of guy that took criticism very well. He was old and set in his ways. A double-spacer as well.

There were even occasions where he was reviewing contracts or letters that myself or a colleague had written and he "corrected" them with his rubbish. This put us in a pretty awkward position as he wanted us to sent out these now poorly written/scanning documents with our names attached to them. Generally speaking we'd quietly correct them back again and hope he didn't notice, but it was a hassle I could have done without.

Edited for another f-ing typo. Now I'm paranoid.

As someone said earlier, a common saying which drives me mental is "cheap at half the price". It would be, it's HALF the price! Surely it should be "cheap at twice the price"?

Also, they're not sayings, but people just using completely the wrong word drives me insane. Their, there, they're are the most common culprits - IT'S REALLY FRICKIN EASY PEOPLE!

Also, people who put apostrophes in any word with an s at the end should be shot.

Edit for sticky keys

The cheap one is supposed to be an expression of surprise that you paid so much for an item. Ie Do you like my jacket, cost £100.00

Aye it's nice, but it would've been good value if it had been half the price. You have been grossly overcharged you mug.

A guy I work with regularly send group emails out that begin "hey guy's".

I get a bit sad each time.

I think what used to annoy me most about my ex-boss and his poor grammar & spelling was that he thought he was a bit of an authority on these matters, and also wasn't the kind of guy that took criticism very well. He was old and set in his ways. A double-spacer as well.

There were even occasions where he was reviewing contracts or letters that myself or a colleague had written and he "corrected" them with his rubbish. This put us in a pretty awkward position as he wanted us to sent out these now poorly written/scanning documents with our names attached to them. Generally speaking we'd quietly correct them back again and hope he didn't notice, but it was a hassle I could have done without.

Edited for another f-ing typo. Now I'm paranoid.

You'll have to start supporting someone else. Not sure who, though.

Exactly. The original phrase was "cheap at twice the price", meaning a great deal.

This was later tweaked to "cheap at half the price" by various wags, aiming to rip the piss out of mugs overpaying for tat.

The tragedy is that utter imbeciles have since heard the second phrase and repeated it for precisely the wrong reason.

The cheap one is supposed to be an expression of surprise that you paid so much for an item. Ie Do you like my jacket, cost £100.00

Aye it's nice, but it would've been good value if it had been half the price. You have been grossly overcharged you mug.

Confusing 'i.e.' and 'e.g'

Archived