Scotrail

ScottR96

Do conductors/Ticket Examiners/guards/whatever you want to call them (the bloke who looks at tickets) get a commission from on-board ticket sales, or have I made that up?

Yes.

Conductors get 5% commission on their own sales and ticket examiners get 3%.

Yes.

Conductors get 5% commission on their own sales and ticket examiners get 3%.

So the longer the route you're on then the better the potential commission?

I'd be more concerned with that than their current argument tbh.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Right, so a ticket examiner is the bloke/bird with the machine who roams the carriages looking at tickets and sells them to folk who don't have them. On shite trains like the Cathcart circle the driver operates the doors.

Conductors do the same job but are on routes like Glasgow-Edinburgh and thus operate the doors at each stop.

Guards are those who stand at gates checking tickets when people get off/get on the platform.

Correct?

Got Inverness to Edinburgh train last week, got told it was terminating in Perth due to staff shortages. Had to sit around Perth for over an hour waiting for next train (I also had diarrhoea, which isn't Scotrail's fault but didn't make the experience much better, except that I got to go and find a chemist in Perth for some immodium). They told me to go online and apply for a refund which I did (word of warning - keep your tickets. If you don't still have your tickets they won't accept the claim, so don't put them in the barrier to get out) and they tell me thanks for your claim, all further correspondence will be by post. Post! Expecting it'll take them about a week to send me out a letter saying they've rejected my claim on some technicality, and we'll go back and forth by post until the 28 day claim period expires. I'm more annoyed about the post thing than the delayed train tbh.

Edit - I'd also booked a quiet carriage with plug charger sockets, there was neither a quiet carriage nor any sockets.

Edited by Sliced Bread

Right, so a ticket examiner is the bloke/bird with the machine who roams the carriages looking at tickets and sells them to folk who don't have them. On shite trains like the Cathcart circle the driver operates the doors.

Conductors do the same job but are on routes like Glasgow-Edinburgh and thus operate the doors at each stop.

Guards are those who stand at gates checking tickets when people get off/get on the platform.

Correct?

Incorrect.

There is no such thing officially as a 'guard'. All it is is the old fashioned name for a Conductor. They are one and the same.

The staff at the barriers are 'Gateline'

Edit - I'd also booked a quiet carriage with plug charger sockets, there was neither a quiet carriage nor any sockets.

I don't think I've ever been on a Scotrail train that had a designated quiet coach. I know Virgin East Coast do and I usually book that when I use them. I guess most train companies use the same underlying system for ticket bookings hence why the options, appear.

I'm in first class today heading to Glasgow from Aberdeen. Coffee, chocolate muffin and a plug socket by my seat for just £10, not too bad.

I don't think I've ever been on a Scotrail train that had a designated quiet coach. I know Virgin East Coast do and I usually book that when I use them. I guess most train companies use the same underlying system for ticket bookings hence why the options, appear.

I'm in first class today heading to Glasgow from Aberdeen. Coffee, chocolate muffin and a plug socket by my seat for just £10, not too bad.

Where do you shop ffs?  :P

I'll assume that also includes your train journey.

Got a little more sympathy for the folk complaining about the WiFi on Scotrail trains earlier in the thread. I've been on the trains and First buses a lot more than usual in the past month or so, and the internet's been working in maybe a third of the journeys. Bit shite, especially if it's a cost being recouped from everybody's tickets and, as mentioned a while back, they're contractually obligated to provide it as part of their service.

Still, I probably shouldn't be streaming that kind of material on public transport anyway.

My mate does the Perth to Inverness line. Makes quite a bit of commission. However his shift pattern is bollox and has no life even though on a shit load of money.

Shame

Has no life cos he doesn't play five a sides anymore?

The RMT are being disingenuous by claiming that this is primarily a safety issue when 60% of scotrail services currently run with the driver operating the doors just as safely as they do with a conductor operating them and have done for the past 30 years.

Conductors will retain the same terms and conditions and the same salary but with reduced responsibilities, the only difference will be that future entrants will be employed as ticket examiners rather than conductors. Maybe the RMT is concerned about a reduction in income from subscriptions due to the lower salary scale of ticket examiners.

You in for a gaffers job?

You in for a gaffers job?

Not for me :lol: but you know as well as I do that the safety stance is a load of pish or we wouldn't be opening the doors by ourselves.

Surely, even with your Union hat on you can't see this as a winnable battle?

Not for me :lol: but you know as well as I do that the safety stance is a load of pish or we wouldn't be opening the doors by ourselves.

Surely, even with your Union hat on you can't see this as a winnable battle?

Completely disagree, the safety stance is not a load of pish. How many passengers get trapped in doors, in driver only trains? The current system of using steamed up/dirty mirrors is an accident waiting to happen. Even using external or in cab monitors only gives the driver a limited view of the platform. I work driver only and with a guard. I can assure you working with a guard is much safer. 

Completely disagree, the safety stance is not a load of pish. How many passengers get trapped in doors, in driver only trains? The current system of using steamed up/dirty mirrors is an accident waiting to happen. Even using external or in cab monitors only gives the driver a limited view of the platform. I work driver only and with a guard. I can assure you working with a guard is much safer.

In the vast majority of cases of passengers being trapped in doors they are the ones at fault for attempting to board the train whilst the hustle alarms are sounding and nothing to do with the fact that the driver is operating the doors.

The dirty mirror issue is easily overcome, you go onto the platform if need be to enable you to close the doors safely and complete your final despatch checks.

Personally, I would rather have a conductor operating my doors but that's purely from a selfish perspective, the idea that we can't drive trains safely without a conductor is nonsense.