Scotrail

ScottR96

41 minutes ago, mac.i said:

Stonehaven was a derailment, trees on the line can cause a derailment.......... 

Derailment can cause death or injury. 

The trains in the Central belt are now mainly electric powered which adds its own fun in the wind. Trees on the overheads, trees taking down the overheads, overheads oscillating in the wind and a train bringing them down. Which leads to all sorts of issues with trains stuck outside stations and such like. Not as extreme as the worst case above but could also need already stretched emergency services to attend and assist. 

I tend to agree that there is possibly a bit too much caution but as I've said I understand why they make the decision. It's not until you have experienced someone passing away "on your watch" that you know the feeling. I was lucky "mine" turned out to be a medical cause but the days until I heard were horrific. 

Driver Brett McCullough, 45, conductor Donald Dinnie, 58, and passenger Christopher Stuchbury, 62, were just going about their normal day....... 

The job of managing a public transport service should not be determined by feelings but rather rational analysis and calculated understanding of risk. If Scotrail's managers understandably do not feel up to that task any more, then they should have left their posts over the past 18 months. 

The onus is not on the citizens of Scotland to face the consequences of their ongoing psychodrama over any modestly bad weather conditions. 

Which arsehole at Network Rail decided that engineering works need to take place on Easter Sunday?

No trains from England - a bus service from Lancaster - yet it's only Motherwell to Edinburgh section that's closed.

Told this on 9 February after I had booked return tickets to Manchester Aitport.

ScotRail have clearly shat it. The clowns saying “better to be safe than sorry” are definitely not the same people who rely on the train service to go about their daily lives. 100% these are the same folk who have barricaded themselves indoors during the pandemic and lapped up every word the Scots Gov have said.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

ScotRail have clearly shat it. The clowns saying “better to be safe than sorry” are definitely not the same people who rely on the train service to go about their daily lives. 100% these are the same folk who have barricaded themselves indoors during the pandemic and lapped up every word the Scots Gov have said.

I pity anyone who has to rely on the train service to go about their daily lives 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It isn't even that windy mate.

Planes are still flying. Cancelling trains today for a yellow warning is a complete joke

It's no the wind, it's the gusts. 

18 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

LMAO

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

And of course there was no issue with trains continuing to run until wires were actually damaged.

Unfortunately we have moved on from steam trains. 

So glad Scotrail decided to strand people trying to get home from Glasgow & Edinburgh to their central belt homes tonight because a cable got damaged in Carlisle...

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Unfortunately we have moved on from steam trains. 

Another green clanger...

image.png.32f86f76d0dd16fd420bd9a579b152a0.png

image.png.a4220f1f39d2626af731c1cc9051c885.png

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Furlough - nope

WFH - nope

Reduced hours - nope

At work every day working with the public - yep

Train to work - yep where possible 

You do understand what a fact is, right, and how hypothetical situations can't be fact?

It's not hypothetical. Trains ran in conditions like tonight before Stonehaven. Now we are seeing services stopped. As others have said - nothing has changed with infrastructure/weather over the last 5 years. The only difference between 5 years ago and tonight is Stonehaven. Again - If we never had that disaster trains would be running tonight.

28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So glad Scotrail decided to strand people trying to get home from Glasgow & Edinburgh to their central belt homes tonight because a cable got damaged in Carlisle...

Another green clanger...

image.png.32f86f76d0dd16fd420bd9a579b152a0.png

image.png.a4220f1f39d2626af731c1cc9051c885.png

Scotrail gave enough notice that folk could make arrangements IMO.  Everyone that relies on rail at my work was away before the last train of the day and I'm aware of the same in other places of work.  I can't fathom how that isn't better than just ploughing on until inevitable cancellations during rush hour and actually stranding people.  

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Scotrail gave enough notice that folk could make arrangements IMO.  Everyone that relies on rail at my work was away before the last train of the day and I'm aware of the same in other places of work.  I can't fathom how that isn't better than just ploughing on until inevitable cancellations during rush hour and actually stranding people.  

I've no doubt that everyone that could make alternative arrangements would have done so.

Not everyone would have been able to do so, however, so to simply cancel all services, before the end of the normal working day, whilst doing absolutely zero to help those that do rely on the rail network is completely unacceptable.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've no doubt that everyone that could make alternative arrangements would have done so.

Not everyone would have been able to do so, however, so to simply cancel all services, before the end of the normal working day, whilst doing absolutely zero to help those that do rely on the rail network is completely unacceptable.

You are spot on that not everyone would be fortunate enough to do so btw, I should have addressed that but I still can't see how giving notice is better than none. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not hypothetical. Trains ran in conditions like tonight before Stonehaven. Now we are seeing services stopped. As others have said - nothing has changed with infrastructure/weather over the last 5 years. The only difference between 5 years ago and tonight is Stonehaven. Again - If we never had that disaster trains would be running tonight.

Trains haven't been running fully for months now with Scotrail treating it more like a hobby than a service . The difference being today that a half decent excuse has appeared giving them a free hand that avoids public backlash. Whilst omicron has caused a few issues the number of empty seats is perhaps hitting them hard too. A few months ago a large number of services were pulled and the news sneaked out alongside another bigger scandal. No doubt Stonehaven will have produced some recommendations however tonight's shitshow  is more about the can't do attitude that sums up Scotrail right now

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

You are spot on that not everyone would be fortunate enough to do so btw, I should have addressed that but I still can't see how giving notice is better than none. 

Giving notice is obviously better than none, but the point is they've done absolutely nothing in the near interim 24 hour period to assist passengers that rely on them.

We're not dealing with heavy snow or widespread flooding - it's a bit of wind. In that regard "What's that? Rail replacement services? Lol no, make your own plans" is crap.