Scotrail

ScottR96

Travelling to Carlisle today:

Return ticket from Queens Park: £57.20.

Return ticket from Glasgow Central: £20.50.

£36.50 higher for an extra 2 mile journey. Thankfully I wasn't daft enough to pay it.

What train are you getting? I may say hello :P

£36.50 higher for an extra 2 mile journey. Thankfully I wasn't daft enough to pay it.

Are you going to the game. I fancied it today, but have been forced to do other stuff.

Happens all the time, Breaking tickets at train changes normally saves,

Aberdeen to Glasgow is normally £54.40,

Aberdeen to Irvine is normally £77.80

£23.40 of a difference.

Glasgow to Irvine is £7.30 each way.

Did they hike the prices for Easter weekend?

Checked Aberdeen to Dunfermline on Friday and the cheapest for the next day was £61.40. Most expensive (anytime open return) I can find today is only £50.

Would have saved £7 buying Aberdeen-Inverkeithing & Inverkeithing-Dunfermline separately too.

Checked Aberdeen to Dunfermline on Friday and the cheapest for the next day was £61.40. Most expensive (anytime open return) I can find today is only £50.

Would have saved £7 buying Aberdeen-Inverkeithing & Inverkeithing-Dunfermline separately too.

Easter weekend is longer than other weekends, according to the train company rules.

The super off peak is not available from the Thursday to the Tuesday I think,

cheapest will be off peak tickets.

They extend the period when you can't get the cheapest tickets as they know it a weekend when more people will travel.

You shouldn't have bothered buying Inverkeithing-Dunfermline tickets as you can usually bump it. As you know neither Inverkeithing nor either of the Dunfermline stations have gates.

Going to Glasgow in June for a gig and managed to get a £10 return from Aberdeen.  Its a super cheap version of the advanced fare and the catch is unlike a standard you don't get a seat reserved on the train you book.  Still can't really complain as its a pretty good deal.

Had to get a train into Glasgow on Sunday morning, straight into Central with a detour via coatbridge etc.

Cant have any complaints apart from other passengers not understanding the one way system that is in place at Queen street.

Are you going to the game. I fancied it today, but have been forced to do other stuff.

Aye, I was at the game, really entertaining one too. My liver is feeling the effects of the aftermath today though!

Someone has puked on the 0738 Milngavie to Cumbernauld so the first of the three carriages has been shut off.

The upshot is that we left Westerton with people practically sitting on each other. I physically don't think more people could be crammed in.

Hilarious watching people think they've knocked it off and got a carriage to themselves only to have to run down to the next set of doors.

Someone has puked on the 0738 Milngavie to Cumbernauld so the first of the three carriages has been shut off.

The upshot is that we left Westerton with people practically sitting on each other. I physically don't think more people could be crammed in.

Hilarious watching people think they've knocked it off and got a carriage to themselves only to have to run down to the next set of doors.

This is what happens when you travel with your entire domestic staff.

This is what happens when you travel with your entire domestic staff.

My staff normally have plenty of room to roam about the buffet car, still can't believe one of the common scum vomitted in it and forced me to travel like the working class people.

There was a guy properly seething at Hyndland, shouting at a poor guy on the platform to "Run yer f*cking railway properly and this wouldn't be an issue". Must be a nightmare having to deal with people like that.

Nothing worse than standing on a busy train and some arsehole has tied their bike to the temporary seats (I know the sign says that is what it is there for)

Hopefully the next new trains don't have such a stupid idea...you could be sitting down but this bike needs 5/7(?) seats. Just like that lassie there her bag needs a seat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A return to Queen Street from Milngavie is £3.70 so I normally pay in exact change, right down to paying a pound in 10ps last week when my loose change eventually ran out.

Today I went into the station with a tenner as it was the only cash I had in the house, and the guy in the office informs me that he doesn't have £6.30 in change and I'll have to get it on the train. A minor inconvenience I know, but what type of business can't form £6.30 out of change?!

I also sit right up the back of the train, so I'll have to queue at Queen Street.

Hurrumph

A return to Queen Street from Milngavie is £3.70 so I normally pay in exact change, right down to paying a pound in 10ps last week when my loose change eventually ran out.

Today I went into the station with a tenner as it was the only cash I had in the house, and the guy in the office informs me that he doesn't have £6.30 in change and I'll have to get it on the train. A minor inconvenience I know, but what type of business can't form £6.30 out of change?!

I also sit right up the back of the train, so I'll have to queue at Queen Street.

Hurrumph

Train stations are awful for giving change. I think they want everyone to pay by card at the machines or buy their tickets online