Scotrail

ScottR96

Anyone been on the trains in Holland?  What are they like compared to ours?

As Abellio are the Dutch government international transport division, maybe they will bring in some of the things they have over there?

They are known as 'Nederlandse Spoorwegen' in Holland.

Edited by FlyerTon

Anyone been on the trains in Holland?  What are they like?

As Abellio are the Dutch government international transport division, maybe they will bring in some of the things they have over there?

They are known as 'Nederlandse Spoorwegen' in Holland.

They run on tracks and take you from place to place,a bit like every train in the world thats used for mass tranisit

Some reading on the Abellio takeover below.  Abellio have the franchise until 2024.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/34xv54/why_did_the_snp_hand_scotrail_over_to_abellio/

From the above link:

"Actually, the Scottish government had all the powers they need to run the railways directly; all they had to do was not licence a new franchisee and then section 30 of the act entitles them to operate the railways directly or through a wholly-owned subsidiary like Directly Operated Railways did on the East Coast Main Line"

Edited by FlyerTon

Some reading on the Abellio takeover below.  Abellio have the franchise until 2024.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/34xv54/why_did_the_snp_hand_scotrail_over_to_abellio/

From the above link:

"Actually, the Scottish government had all the powers they need to run the railways directly; all they had to do was not licence a new franchisee and then section 30 of the act entitles them to operate the railways directly or through a wholly-owned subsidiary like Directly Operated Railways did on the East Coast Main Line"

That is why you don't use Reddit as a credible source. :1eye

Read section 25 of the same act.

Edited by strichener

It's absolute madness that it is cheaper to fly than get a train.

I go to North Wales from Inverness quite regularly. It costs roughly half to fly to Birmingham or Manchester and train it from there than it would to take the train all the way.

That is why you don't use Reddit as a credible source. :1eye

Read section 25 of the same act.

Are you saying that there's no way the railways could have been run by the Scottish government if they didn't award a franchise (and then ran it themselves through a wholly-owned subsidiary)?

Are you saying that there's no way the railways could have been run by the Scottish government if they didn't award a franchise (and then ran it themselves through a wholly-owned subsidiary)?

No that is what the law states.  I am pretty sure that were there to be no tender process then Scotrail and any prospective bidders for the franchise would have taken the government to court.  The law specifically prevents a public body from owning a franchise except in circumstances where there is no alternative.  As I said, read the Act not Reddit and you will be less likely to make an arse of it.

I'm only £8.70 from Alloa to Glasgow.

Sold. Meet me in the lavvies on the 7:40 on Monday morning.

What's the Glasgow equivalent to "getting off at Haymarket"?

Sold. Meet me in the lavvies on the 7:40 on Monday morning.

What's the Glasgow equivalent to "getting off at Haymarket"?

Depends what angle you're entering from  ^_^

Unlike Edinburgh, Glasgow is a decent enough city to have more than 1 big station.  And there's multiple ways into Q St.

Unlike Edinburgh, Glasgow is a decent enough city to have more than 1 big station.  And there's multiple ways into Q St.

Stop before I embarrass myself, you filthy wee tease!

Queen Street? It's about the same size as Haymarket! Although there is lower level, I suppose.

Edited by Darren

This thread is beginning to resemble the Daily Mail comments section.

It was all fine until the French came and invaded our great British railway.

Although I didn't like it when it was run by the government either. Typical communists/Labour party..

Bring back steam trains, British people and Maggie. None of this mess would've happened if they were still around.

It was all fine until the French came and invaded our great British railway.

Although I didn't like it when it was run by the government either. Typical communists/Labour party..

Bring back steam trains, British people and Maggie. None of this mess would've happened if they were still around.

Mussolini would have sorted this out.

Scotrail clearly prepping for the inevitable chaos of the Queen Street tunnel closures by making an utter hash of the Glasgow to Gourock line today resulting in me and a good few others not being able to go to Cappielow.

What a shower.