Scotrail

ScottR96

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Impact of the last 2 cycles:

Scotland 4.8% (July) + 8.9% (April) =  14.13% in 10 months.

England 5.6% (March '23) +5.9% (March '24) =  11.83% in 12 months.

As much as I'm sure it was greatly amusing for the 3 Poindexter maths nerds on the forum to try a  LOL you can't just add percentages claim: in the real world, you actually can.

As your own own attempt demonstrates:

The original figures were

Scotland - 13.5%

England - 10.8%.

A difference of 2.7% in favour of English fares without peak fares being accounted for. 

Your calculation produces, err, a difference of 2.5% in favour of English fares, without peak fares being accounted for. 

who-cares-i-dont-care.gif.1f7e62da4d667e1d30b5a90102bfe6ce.gif

Your 'point' is absolutely irrelevant to the value for money (or otherwise) of Scotrail fares compared to English fares. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

As much as I'm sure it was greatly amusing for the 3 Poindexter maths nerds on the forum to try a  LOL you can't just add percentages claim: in the real world, you actually can.

As your own own attempt demonstrates:

The original figures were

Scotland - 13.5%

England - 10.8%.

A difference of 2.7% in favour of English fares without peak fares being accounted for. 

Your calculation produces, err, a difference of 2.5% in favour of English fares, without peak fares being accounted for. 

who-cares-i-dont-care.gif.1f7e62da4d667e1d30b5a90102bfe6ce.gif

Your 'point' is absolutely irrelevant to the value for money (or otherwise) of Scotrail fares compared to English fares. 

Basic arithmetic is not being a "maths nerd".  If only you had to pay for your education you may have left school being able to count.

3 minutes ago, mathematics said:

No, you can’t. 

Well yes, you quite clearly can. 

'Scotrail fares have increased by roughly 2.5% more than English fares.'

Please explain how your poindexter intervention changes the factual basis of that statement. 

Just now, virginton said:

Well yes, you quite clearly can. 

'Scotrail fares have increased by roughly 2.5% more than English fares.'

Please explain how your poindexter intervention changes the factual basis of that statement. 

You know, as well as everyone else reading this, that this was not the statement for which I pulled you up. It was the statement where you added two percentages together. 

4 minutes ago, mathematics said:

You know, as well as everyone else reading this, that this was not the statement for which I pulled you up. It was the statement where you added two percentages together. 

You know, as well as everyone else does, that he will never admit an error or failure on his part, but will instead resort to calling names and blustering.

Just now, mathematics said:

Well no, because this is a thread about Scotrail fares and not the weirdo maths teachers leaving the pub on the last day of term thread. 

You harrumphed in with your claim that adding two percentages together was somehow a significant error in the discussion - but it never was. 

If we were looking at a long-term sequence of Scotrail price increases then your point would be valid. But this was only two instances being compared and so the shorthand measure provides a highly similar result, which is why you cannot actually dispute that statement. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, because this is a thread about Scotrail fares and not the weirdo maths teachers leaving the pub on the last day of term thread. 

You harrumphed in with your claim that adding two percentages together was somehow a significant error in the discussion - but it never was. 

If we were looking at a long-term sequence of Scotrail price increases then your point would be valid. But this was only two instances being compared and so the shorthand measure provides a highly similar result, which is why you cannot actually dispute that statement. 

As predicted, plus his traditional red dot. So, let’s make a note that Vikingwang has clearly stated that using “shorthand measures” that provide “highly similar results” are valid, so the next time (probably later today) he gets pedantic, and attacks someone about not being exactly correct, he can blow it out his arse.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As predicted, plus his traditional red dot. So, let’s make a note that Vikingwang has clearly stated that using “shorthand measures” that provide “highly similar results” are valid, so the next time (probably later today) he gets pedantic, and attacks someone about not being exactly correct, he can blow it out his arse.

virginTROLL gonna troll, just the P&B equivalent of an excrement stained wrecking ball stinking out threads in all directions.

At a time when greener travel should be more enticing, sticking fares up above inflation isn't really going to help. Since I got a car 12 months ago, only twice used Scotrail locally and had three LNER long haul trips on advance tickets, having previously used trains at least once a week - it's only when I've had the motor that I realise how unattractive rail travel is just now by comparison. Even all the extra little crumbs you used to get fairly regularly in the First days (weekend upgrades, the odd £19 return fare giveaway) would be more helpful.

9 minutes ago, Scorge said:

At a time when greener travel should be more enticing, sticking fares up above inflation isn't really going to help. 

Care to demonstrate how fares have actually been increased 'above inflation' since 2021? 

I'm sure that the forum's resident weirdo Maths goons will be around to consult on any decimal point difference in your justification.

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Care to demonstrate how fares have actually been increased 'above inflation' since 2021? 

I'm sure that the forum's resident weirdo Maths goons will be around to consult on any decimal point difference in your justification.

Good luck!

You're the first one who'll pile into a poster whose conclusions are a little bit wrong. You'll be a smug arsehole about it actually.

Take yer dumps man.

Just now, velo army said:

You're the first one who'll pile into a poster whose conclusions are a little bit wrong. You'll be a smug arsehole about it actually.

Take yer dumps man.

Which part of the conclusions are wrong exactly? Be extremely specific.