Scotrail

ScottR96

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Last time I bought a train ticket from a human being was at least 5 years ago. 

That's unfortunate,the ScotRail ticket office staff in Inverness are sensational,really helpful&really knowledgeable.scotrail would be worse if people like them are punted

Just now, highlandmac said:

That's unfortunate,the ScotRail ticket office staff in Inverness are sensational,really helpful&really knowledgeable.scotrail would be worse if people like them are punted

I doubt they'd close the Inverness office, especially given all the tourists, I think your job is safe..:)

3 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Would it, though? If I want to get from A to B along an unfamiliar route I can access route info, departure times, live train location and ticket info in Scotrail's app. I can also buy a ticket there.

The cold truth is that Ticket Clerks offer very little to no added value to the majority of travellers in 2023 and, as such, can be redeployed in other roles that may be more useful and/or financially viable.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt they'd close the Inverness office, especially given all the tourists, I think your job is safe..:)

It's not my trumpet I'm blowing,welshie

Don't work for them,never have.but as one of life's moaners I feel I should dish out praise now&then too

1 minute ago, highlandmac said:

It's not my trumpet I'm blowing,welshie

Don't work for them,never have.but as one of life's moaners I feel I should dish out praise now&then too

Fair do's.. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Would it, though? If I want to get from A to B along an unfamiliar route I can access route info, departure times, live train location and ticket info in Scotrail's app. I can also buy a ticket there.

The cold truth is that Ticket Clerks offer very little to no added value to the majority of travellers in 2023 and, as such, can be redeployed in other roles that may be more useful and/or financially viable.

Each to their own I suppose

The ScotRail apps really not that great

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

How long before an App drives the train?

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

While you and I may find useage of the app pretty decent, there are still issues relating to people who are disabled and otherwise unable to use it.

In fact I think that some of these decisions - when related to access - are protected in law.

I am as guilty as anyone of saying "just use the app etc" but when you think about these areas further, there is more to it than the cheapest option.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's the same with check out operators.

Companies can't structure their business around giving old people somebody to strike up a chat with.

By and large, machines are fine for trains.

Self checkouts at supermarkets are fucking w**k

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You're fucking w**k.

Much rather spend far less time scanning my own stuff than queuing for ages waiting on old duffers. 

However, if the self scanning queue is larger, I'm going to the manned checkout, whatever is quicker. 

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Agreed, for any more than a hand basket with no alcohol. 

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You're fucking w**k.

Much rather spend far less time scanning my own stuff than queuing for ages waiting on old duffers. 

However, if the self scanning queue is larger, I'm going to the manned checkout, whatever is quicker. 

Aye self service check outs are decent when they work, nothing worse that being stuck behind some auld c**t telling the cashier their life story or getting them to check 600 lottery tickets "can you check these tickets for me, I've already checked them but it's just to double check"

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's the same with check out operators.

Companies can't structure their business around giving old people somebody to strike up a chat with.

Self checkouts are not the future and are a terrible replacement to human doing the job for you.

The future is Amazon shops were they ditch checkouts all together are only improvement on humans scanning your shop leaving you free to pack it away. Rather than standing for what feels like a week for 1 person to approve the sales of 10 people whilst taking of the tags off your razor blades and then demanding a receipt when the till has no paper.

How do ScotRail justify some open returns being ~£20 more expensive than same day return tickets (Aberdeen to Inverness for example)? It's not like the latter ticket types are train-specific and can be used to plan resources in advance?

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

How do ScotRail justify some open returns being ~£20 more expensive than same day return tickets (Aberdeen to Inverness for example)? It's not like the latter ticket types are train-specific and can be used to plan resources in advance?

What’s worse is that they seem to have done away with advance returns. It's sometimes cheaper to buy 2 day returns if you're coming back the next day.