Weekend Betting 5th - 7th February 16

Fitba Tips

After last weekend's weather beaten calamity that saw a half-decent January turn into a scratch I have risen from the fetal position that comforted me until Monday.

This weekend I am relying on Ross County to do the do on a number of bets so I hope the celebrations from last weekend don't carry on too long. Seriously though, only Hearts and Celtic have scored more home goals than County, 11 wins in 16 home matches, 2+ goals in 11 of those 16 matches (at least one of which was a defeat to Aberdeen), County look good for a mauling, don't you think?

Also backing St Mirren (gulp) and Dundee Utd (double gulp) both with draw no bet insurance.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/betting/130-scottish-football-tips-best-bets-6th-february-2016

What have you got?

In spite of the adverse weather, it has been a pretty good week for myself with just Arsenal in midweek preventing a 100% striker rate. Especially pleasing when my own side has contributed to this more than any other with a couple more thoroughly deserved wins when initially overpriced by the bookies J

On to this weekend and touch wood it is another card I quite like the look of.

East Fife are my tip to ultimately unravel the jig saw puzzle that is league 2 this season. Their transfer business in January was superb in my view and at 4/1 in the outrights they merit a wager in my view. I have tipped them up on here at odds against the last 2 weekends and they didn’t disappoint, winning by 2 goals each time. Unfortunately, this Saturday the bookies have perhaps clicked on to an extent making them 8/11 at Montrose, a team East Fife have virtually owned in recent times. 8/11 is marginally too skinny for me here to justify a single but I would not put anyone off the handicap, HT/FT or team goal markets. Myself I have elected to double them with Dunfermline which pays just over 6/4. The Pars slipped up badly last Friday night so will be eager to bounce back with the gap to Ayr down to 7 points with a game more played and the sides due to meet next weekend. They know Ayr are up against form side Peterhead so will probably see this as a big chance to increase the cushion. I would expect a reaction from the Pars with Joe Cardle likely to be back. They won easily at Ochilview earlier this term and Stenny are still without Jason Scotland plus could not beat a very poor Brechin side midweek.

On Sunday, it is another side I really fancy to bounce back in Arsenal at 23/20. It is must win for them. Surely they cannot go 5 games within a win in the league. I always get the feeling Arsenal are more likely winners and performers when they are not top of the pile. They seem to have missed the boat this season with several poor results when the possibility was there for them to open up a significant gap at the summit. They should have beaten Southampton midweek and created plenty of chances. With Ozil and Sanchez back I expect them to have too much for a very courageous Bournemouth side. I really like this bet and the price.

Back to Saturday and another double. Arbroath, also tipped up by myself here last week, are in good form too, seemingly slightly under the radar, while Stirling struggle to score goals. 13/10 a good price but again rather than go on a single, I have doubled them with Newcastle. Some will see backing Newcastle as a bit crazy. They were poor at Everton but signed well in January. I suspect, we may see a different side at St James on Saturday with them being much more positive and with 2 upfront. With upcoming fixtures this is certainly a game they need to win. I like Doumbia and Mitrovic as a possible combination and Perez has potential too. West Brom are out of form and have not impressed me at all lately. Tony Pullis does a job but even clean sheets have been lacking somewhat. A repeat of recent home performances from the Magpies should be good enough. Double pays over 4/1.

And to complete matters, another double, this time on the handicaps. Ross County -2 and Celtic -3 at around 9/5. No need to go into detail on this one. It should come in, indeed like a similar handicap double I did for the last round of the Cup with the Old Firm, I may be being a bit conservative.

Will likely do a long odds 6 fold too with Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Berwick, Dundee, Peterhead and Stranraer the possible list at 40/1 currently.

Peterhead could be ‘The one that got away’ this week for me. 9/5 or 11/10 DNB was very tempting indeed.

Stranraer are a bit shorter than I would have liked this week albeit against a side that haven’t won in the league for 5 months and went out of the cup to a non-league side at home having led the original tie 3-1 and had an extra man. Gibson is suspended plus we have played twice on heavy pitches in the past week. That said only Dunfermline have won more away from home this season and our away form was very good even before Gibson re-signed so 7/5 or 4/5 DNB is certainly one for consideration.

Finally, Sunderland at 8/1 at Anfield or better than 2/1 double chance isn’t the worst bet based on how awful Liverpool have been at home and how well Sunderland played midweek while Swansea to win to nil v Crystal Palace 13/5 or 1-0 correct score at 13/2 seems decent given recent patterns and form.

Back to Saturday and another double. Arbroath, also tipped up by myself here last week, are in good form too, seemingly slightly under the radar, while Stirling struggle to score goals. 13/10 a good price but again rather than go on a single, I have doubled them with Newcastle. Some will see backing Newcastle as a bit crazy.

Peterhead could be ‘The one that got away’ this week for me. 9/5 or 11/10 DNB was very tempting indeed.

I have been mulling over Arbroath DNB all day and still doing so.

Peterhead are always the one that got away for me, unless I back them, then they just don't get anywhere* :P

Also notice that the goals prices for Well v ICT has crashed unbelievably. BTTS is now 1.95 and +2.5 goals is out to 2.2 from 1.8ish in many places. Seems odd considering recent form of both sides. The 1-0 at Thistle midweek can be discounted imo as it was on an awful pitch and bad pitches don't help goals. Fir Park is in good nick this season, right?

With both sides likely to avoid the relegation battle they might go all out for the win here and a season defining quarter-final.

*unfair really as they did win for me last week in a treble come double although I panicked when Albion rovers took the lead.

Just noticed that Ross County -1 and Celtic -2 is a VERY GENEROUS 1.82 with Paddy POwer.

Only Paddy Power mind, none others even come above 1.65

This will now be my biggest bet of the weekend (not going completely mental obvss) so if Ross County fail to show up I will be hitting the gin for a few days.

Might not be a bad thing anyway :guinness

Annan are probably worth a punt if you can get anywhere near the best-priced 19/5. Morton aren't creating too many chances never mind actually scoring goals; if Annan sneak an opening goal then a shock would definitely be on the cards.

Charlton could be decent price home to bristol city. New manager turned them round the last time and has started well. Stranraer and forest green. I've done a double chance treble at 11/4 though tempted wi a single on charlton as I reckon they're overpriced

Aberdeen, Stranraer, Hull, Spurs - £8 for £153

Newcastle, Dundee Utd, Ayr, Queens Park - £5 for £131

BTTS & Win, AIRDRIE v Cowden, Sheff Utd v WIGAN, LEEDS v Forrest - £2 fr £231

Anytime GS, Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes, Steven Naismith, Ryan Stevenson - £2 for £161

Archived