Birds!

Spooky. Saw a kingfisher today for the first time, well Mrs Mantis spotted it first, I'm blind as a bat.

Also there's a mandarin duck been hanging around a pond in Portobello all winter.

seeing as the definition of a mandarin is a Chinese Orangeman get thae bigoted ducks out of Porty!

post-12982-0-79856200-1454974755_thumb.j

"Who are ye lookin' at pal"

Neddy goosander seen on the canal

Did you take those pictures? I thought I had some perfect snaps of the mandarin, but when I got them onto the laptop they were a bit blurred. The crazy plumage flatted a bit to deceive. Going to head to Porty and try again soon.

Aye but the light that day was v poor. Could do with going back. It spent weeks hiding on the island till about 3pm and only recently has been taking part in the breidfest :lol:

Aye but the light that day was v poor. Could do with going back. It spent weeks hiding on the island till about 3pm and only recently has been taking part in the breidfest :lol:

Very good colour and sharpness in both pics. I'm going down to Figgate to see if I can get anywhere near the quality of those.

Very good colour and sharpness in both pics. I'm going down to Figgate to see if I can get anywhere near the quality of those.

Sorry, I meant the goosander was on a decent day but you might get a better mandarin today, decent forecast, mine was iso 1600.

• 1 month later...

This wee dick landed in my front garden earlier. Looks gamey. What is it?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1458998355.029261.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1458998372.488852.jpg

I suggest you contact the good ladies of The Game Birds Calendar. They could probably identify your visitor and give you a few pointers on bush maintenance. 

We've got lots of buzzards around us - they look great sitting on the top of lampposts waiting for their dinner to be killed. Watched out the landing window recently as a couple of crows knocked f**k out a buzzard just a few yards away from me. Crow b*****ds.

I salvaged a robin that flew into my living room window the summer before last. Went down like a stone and I thought it was deid but it was still breathing when I picked it up. So I sat with it in the palm of my hand for about half an hour during which time it never said a word whilst I copped pelters from white van men in the passing. Eventually it decided it was better and just fucked off. Not a word of thanks. Cute though.

I like most of them though - except crows when they're being bullies. But like most bullies they're fine when you meet them on their own.

Same here, its a superb looking bird of prey, there was two of them feeding on a run over pheasant on the back road when I was coming home last week.

Excellent.  Did you photograph this, Shuggy?

Thanks.

Yes, I took that one. I'm no good at spotting, but my wife is very good at seeing the good photo ops. I took the plunge and got a decent lens after seeing The Mantis's pics. Buyer's remorse, mitigated by the fact that I now get out more often to see some wildlife. To quote Only an Excuse, "Ye cannae beat it!"