Potential Champions League Changes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35535729

The European Clubs' Association (ECA) said it will work with Uefa on any "improvements" before 2018.

ECA chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has previously discussed "a tournament consisting of 20 teams from Italy, England, Spain, Germany and France".

The ECA represents more than 200 clubs, including all the biggest ones such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Chelsea.

There have been suggestions that these clubs should get direct entry into Europe's elite club football tournament, rather than through their domestic league position the previous season.

I hope this happens. I also hope they charge about £250 a ticket for the games and you can only go if you are a tourist from China.

Gave up on the Champions League years ago. An utter bore of a competition.

Just watch the final now and for the rest of the season glance at the mostly predictable results.

Fans of the 'big' clubs are generally thick as shit so you can hardly blame the mega capitalists for fleecing as much as they can from them. However I think even the likes of Rummenigge (why have all my 80's footballing heroes turned into complete c***s BTW?) must realise that if it becomes invitation only the whole thing loses any credibility.

These ideas never actually come to fruition - they're always used as leverage to get something else.

Yes. I think they want the top 4 nations to have 5 entrants, (3 automatic to the Group Stage) and scrap the Champions path. That would mean only the top 11 leagues would get an automatic spot and would probably reduce participation from the 17 nations to 11.

So getting screwed would be these countries

Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
FC Basel *3              Sui  84.875              Maccabi Tel-Aviv **      Isr  18.200
Celtic **                Sco  39.080              Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  14.775
APOEL Nicosia **         Cyp  35.460              Malmö FF **              Swe  12.545
BATE Borisov **          Bls  35.150              Skënderbeu Korçë **      Alb   5.575
Dinamo Zagreb **         Cro  24.700              FK Astana **             Kaz   3.825

And countries like Turkey and Greece who have automatic spots at the moment

The days of the working class game is long gone. The super clubs in the top 5 leagues are everything that's wrong with football, they think they run the game with their massive egos.

"I think this is a very sinister development. The likes of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Ajax, Porto, these are huge brand names, huge clubs with great histories and great global fan bases. And there's the possibility that some may try and limit or remove their access to the Champions League."

One of the few instances where I agree with Cockwomble. #thefamous

Doncaster is a hypocritical cúnt and should keep his trap shut.

Seems that fan power won and he changed his mind, as his view on this is pretty much the polar opposite on his views on what should have happened when Rangers went bust.

Everyone has their own ideas on structural changes these days. I do agree with Doncaster on this even if he's made an arse of pretty much every other decision thus far in his career. Fact of the matter is it will just mean the richer clubs get richer and the lesser clubs getting less income.

Even the gulf between the UCL and EL is clear to see. Teams like West Ham who are having a great season in the EPL pretty much throwing it in the qualifiers as they know they lure of finishing higher in the league pays more.

The only way they could make both competitions entertaining nowadays would be to look at league rankings within Europe and allow for each division winning team automatic qualification for the first 16 positions and give greater incentives for each countries coefficient.

As it stands the tedium of watching Chelsea play psg is horrific.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Arguably teams who don't win their leagues in the above countries would more than likely qualify via qualifiers for the CL.

Man City/Arsenal/Chelsea

Madrid/Barca/Atletico

Juve/Napoli/Roma

But those that don't would make the EL more appealing to watch. Potentially even a third competition so it still cascades down making the involvement of European clubs greater but with a more equal reward for each country.

Alas. There's no fucking chance of this ever happening.

There is a degree of hypocrisy given the whole battle to keep Rangers in the top levels - despite liquidation - on grounds of better finance and interest.

Where do you draw the line with this, anyway. At one time Aston Villa and Nottingham Forrest were among England's strongest clubs - would they still be entering every year if this system has come in during 1980s?

We don't even guarantee the big countries X slots just now, nevermind X actual clubs.

Gave up on the Champions League years ago. An utter bore of a competition.

Just watch the final now and for the rest of the season glance at the mostly predictable results.

Same here.

Used to really enjoy watching the European competitions. They're all boring as f**k now.

I do agree with Doncaster on this even if he's made an arse of pretty much every other decision thus far in his career. Fact of the matter is it will just mean the richer clubs get richer and the lesser clubs getting less income.

Just like most football league set ups then including the one Doncaster presides over. He's trying to ensure his richest two get even richer.

Where do you draw the line with this, anyway. At one time Aston Villa and Nottingham Forrest were among England's strongest clubs - would they still be entering every year if this system has come in during 1980s?

They probably would, given it's all about self preservation and perpetual domination.

Just shows how important it is to be in one of the top leagues. Of the 48 clubs left in Europe, only 3 are from outwith the top 15 leagues: Midjtylland (?sp), Molde and Rapid Vienna. Half are from the top 4 leagues and 3/4 are from the top 8. If it was different teams from these countries it might be interesting but it tends to be the same faces year in and year out. Very dull.

Just shows how important it is to be in one of the top leagues. Of the 48 clubs left in Europe, only 3 are from outwith the top 15 leagues: Midjtylland (?sp), Molde and Rapid Vienna. Half are from the top 4 leagues and 3/4 are from the top 8. If it was different teams from these countries it might be interesting but it tends to be the same faces year in and year out. Very dull.

That's always been the case really. The bigger teams from the bigger leagues invariably will go further in the competitions.

Such is life.

Cockwomble only cares about rangers and Celtic.

I hate to come across all hipster AMF or even junior thicko but I was only half joking with my original post, I seriously couldn't give a f**k.

I'm quite happy for the rich to get richer and fleece the morons who want to watch it.

Archived