General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

It's better than the Lord Chancellor, appointed by the PM, sitting on the woolsack.

Who will you be complaining about being a PM appointment next? The Secretary of State for Transport?

Edited by Ad Lib

Didn't think this deserved it's own thread but Lincoln uni have sensationally quit the NUS over their alleged anti-semitism and ISIS support.

Exeter and Newcastle are the next universities to decide whether to resign from the movement. Further anti-NUS motions could set off a tidal wave of rejection of the NUS ahead of next week's key referendums in Oxford and Cambridge.

Nearly all universities in the UK are NUS members although three of Scotland's universites (Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews) are not members and thus all money raised by those unions can be spent investing in campaigns and events on their own campus (It costs tens of thousands of pounds to join the NUS). There is talk of an NUS referendum at Edinburgh.

Newcastle Students Union have just voted to leave with a massive 67% in favour.

Exeter's TWO WEEK referendum ends at midnight tonight. Leave campaign had been ahead the entire time until yesterday. They are now ~100 votes down, helped by the fact that pretty much every NUS executive member has gone down, they've been knocking on all uni accommodation doors with laptops getting people to vote, and sent out texts asking students to vote to stay in.

Hull have theirs next Thursday.

If what Ken Livingstone said is seriously considered "anti-semitism". Then by god, we're all guilty. We're all guilty of telling the truth sometimes.

That does sound pretty similar to the national front response to racism.

Exeter's TWO WEEK referendum ends at midnight tonight. Leave campaign had been ahead the entire time until yesterday. They are now ~100 votes down, helped by the fact that pretty much every NUS executive member has gone down, they've been knocking on all uni accommodation doors with laptops getting people to vote, and sent out texts asking students to vote to stay in.

Saw something about Stirling uni wanting to leave too due to nus becoming less than democratic. Supposedly committee posts being gained with hardly any votes. Seems like a general mess.

Clackmannanshire is in a bit of mess.

http://stv.tv/news/stirling-central/1353909-snp-administration-at-clackmannanshire-council-resigns/

tl;dr - independent councillor propping up the SNP suspended for 6 months; Labour+Tories take chance to team up and change standing orders in their favour; SNP administration resigns.

Clackmannanshire is in a bit of mess.

http://stv.tv/news/stirling-central/1353909-snp-administration-at-clackmannanshire-council-resigns/

tl;dr - independent councillor propping up the SNP suspended for 6 months; Labour+Tories take chance to team up and change standing orders in their favour; SNP administration resigns.

The quote from the labour guy surely has to be made up! Labour engineer changes to the standing orders to force the administration to appoint labour members and is then shocked when they resign the administration. Yeh right. Labour/Tory alliances tend not to work in the end for Labour. I wonder how this will develop once the suspended guy is back.

Saw something about Stirling uni wanting to leave too due to nus becoming less than democratic. Supposedly committee posts being gained with hardly any votes. Seems like a general mess.

I may possibly be involved in the Stirling one...

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/the-backlash-against-the-nus-has-begun/

The NUS to me represents this new anti-liberal philosophy that seems to be taking hold over universities. In my years as a student I felt a shift from freedom of expression towards 'safe space' politics where any opinion considered wrong is not only wrong, but offensive and dangerous.

Pretty gutted if Exeter hibs it in the end

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/the-backlash-against-the-nus-has-begun/

The NUS to me represents this new anti-liberal philosophy that seems to be taking hold over universities. In my years as a student I felt a shift from freedom of expression towards 'safe space' politics where any opinion considered wrong is not only wrong, but offensive and dangerous.

And yet you just perpetuated exactly that attitude in your very last post in this thread.