General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You're not wrong. I recommend watching "The House l Live In" - is on Netflix. One of the talking heads describes the system as "another Holocaust", and I thought, "hmm, that's a bit dramatic." Then they put all the ducks in a row, and, well, wow. Fucking horrific.

Yes, I've watched it.

America has a bare-faced cheek lecturing any other country in the world on human rights, freedom or justice.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A couple of points
The NHS as it stands is in a dominant position when it comes to purchasing medical supplies and has large economies of scale

Privatisation would either mean breaking it up into smaller units that could be played off against each other by suppliers or having one giant private monopoly driven by profit and facing no serious problem competition. The former can't deliver a better service the latter had no reason too.

Secondly it should be relatively in controversial to assert that the big Thatcherite wave of privatisations started with the best ideas and finished with the worst. Some will say the went from great ideas to good ones or from bad ones to terrible ones but it's hard to suggest that British Aerospace was a worse idea than the textbook natural monopoly that is the water industry.

There may well be gains to be made from buying Laundry services from outside but similar logic will apply to the piecemeal privatisation of the NHS. By now all the best (or least bad) ideas will be used up and the next ones will be just alright (or awful).

Is it not the case that each health board does it's own purchasing at the moment.  That was certainly my understanding.

I wouldn't hate living in Jeremy Corbyn's Britain. 

I am a vehement 'yes' supporter and it's a political belief I am unwavering on but if Jeremy somehow pulls off the win then I'd be much more content with the political landscape in general. 

There's a part of me that would see a silver lining in the Theresa May cloud as it would push independence closer to a reality but that's kinda wrong innit? I shouldn't see a positive in that scenario but with independence being my number one goal I'd almost see a positive in regards to that disaster being elected.

Don't think I've articulated that well but I guess I'm just trying to see the positive no matter what the result.

8 hours ago, BradHorse said:

I wouldn't hate living in Jeremy Corbyn's Britain. 

I am a vehement 'yes' supporter and it's a political belief I am unwavering on but if Jeremy somehow pulls off the win then I'd be much more content with the political landscape in general. 

There's a part of me that would see a silver lining in the Theresa May cloud as it would push independence closer to a reality but that's kinda wrong innit? I shouldn't see a positive in that scenario but with independence being my number one goal I'd almost see a positive in regards to that disaster being elected.

Don't think I've articulated that well but I guess I'm just trying to see the positive no matter what the result.

I mentioned on here the other day that I don't see this as a silver lining. The Tory approach could see may individuals, and the country as a whole, completely fucked before we get anywhere near Independence.

A quicker referendum is one thing, but there would still be a long wait after it before we actually broke away.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I mentioned on here the other day that I don't see this as a silver lining. The Tory approach could see may individuals, and the country as a whole, completely fucked before we get anywhere near Independence.

A quicker referendum is one thing, but there would still be a long wait after it before we actually broke away.

Totally man. That's why I was saying that it was wrong for me to think that way. I just think that if the bookies are right and we're 1/12 to get that mob in again then the only real positive I can see would be independence getting closer.

Don't get me wrong though, it is really just a silver lining to a big fucking cloud of misery.

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

FMQs was jaw dropping today - from Kezia bringing up Nursie, Willie having a temper  tantrum and then Peter Chapman asking about dementia ...  I shit you not :lol:

Wish he would "forget" to turn the corner going round the Muchalls bends.