General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

This 'Lib Dem surge' will surely reverse with her at the helm.

I don't think she will come across well to any part of the UK. Haha to all the Scots journos thinking this appointment has the SNP running scared. 

Saying that, if she does take the LDs to the top then feel free to laugh/repost this ala that Tweet from Bastani regards Leonard. 

She's doesn't come across well at all,IMO. And Davey would have been a better choice. We'll soon see as there will no doubt be election in the next 12months. 

Also this new hype about the Lib Dems in Scotland etc gunning for the SNP's seats? What realistically could they take? Edinburgh? Skye? It may well end up in the SNP's favour her appointment :

if a few previous unionists who voted Tory but pro EU go Lib plus the 4-5% Tories that will go for the Brexit Party then it might even open the door for the SNP in places like Kincardine/West Aberdeen 

Edited by Kejan

57 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Swinson is a poor choice. Nice enough woman but always comes across as if he's not very bright. Just watched the below and when you compare it to a natural leader and top-level performer like Sturgeon the difference is night and day. End of the day the Lib Dems will always be tinpot.

Politically, I think she could be OK if she doesn't take a total heads gone about anything and learns on the job.

The leader of the Lib Dems is in many ways, the simplest job to take in British politics right now. You've already been elected on a platform of thinking Brexit is shite and being centre-right in ideology. Just keep at that, don't say anything that over incites people (e.g. try not to mention indyref2) and they will see a modest seat increase in the next election. She's fucked if she does too well though and ends up with some actual responsibility though IMO.

The coalition legacy will haunt them and that's why I think she was maybe marginally better than Davey who was much more prominent in that era.

Radio Scotland managed to find a few of her constituents who were in favour of her being elected leader. The general consensus was she was always putting leaflets through doors and she was alright because one woman's nephew went to school with her. All the hallmarks of a true leader.

Can we get the Scottish secretary and the Lib Dem leader out at the upcoming election. That would be worth watching

Swinson is the leader the #FBPE lot deserve. Will be fucking delicious when she's emptied at the next GE.

Too much of a shitebag to join the Tories, get in the fucking sea.

IMG_20190722_191902.jpg.c4ee83c2a7d0cfdbe0606b878e36d73c.jpg

She made large claims of becoming Prime Minister but would she have to repeal EVEL? After publishing that in her manifesto for a GE she will lose "Middle England" and the right wing press will make hay of those pesky Scots coming down here to lord it over their country.  Her Labour pals in "Better Together" will also do her some damage over her time in government.  What was puzzling was that around 30% of Liberal members appear not to have voted at all so she is actually a minority elected leader. ( Going on the usual unionist definitions of calculating support for any other mandate) I still can't stand her accent!

57 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

She made large claims of becoming Prime Minister but would she have to repeal EVEL? After publishing that in her manifesto for a GE she will lose "Middle England" and the right wing press will make hay of those pesky Scots coming down here to lord it over their country.  Her Labour pals in "Better Together" will also do her some damage over her time in government.  What was puzzling was that around 30% of Liberal members appear not to have voted at all so she is actually a minority elected leader. ( Going on the usual unionist definitions of calculating support for any other mandate) I still can't stand her accent!

This is a good point that has been over-looked. How can a Scottish MP be allowed to vote on issues which don't have anything to do with her constituents. Like English and Welsh NHS policy.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

She was on GMS this morning with some belters:

Robertson: Will you go into coalition with the Tories?
Swinson: Not led by Boris Johnson
Robertson: But other Tories?
Swinson: *unquotable jabber*
Robertson: You're tainted by austerity and the Tories aren't you?
Swinson: That was 5 years ago. Ancient history.
Robertson: You want a people's vote.
Swinson: Yes.
Robertson: But you'll oppose a second indyref?
Swinson: Of course that was only 5 years ago.

Fantastic!

You couldn't make these chancers up.

That’s glorious. Very entertaining. Tying herself in knots.

Going on that interview, she’ll be even more of a liability than Rennie.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

She just ruled out a pact with Corbyn, so I'd actually bet dosh on her losing seats everywhere in Scotland except Orkney & Shetland given the SNP are the only other group that make the arithmetic work.

It would be glorious to see the boot lose her seat but I think there'll be another Unionist circling of wagons there, if not a bit of downright dirtiness and cheating that the Lib Dems are quite good at.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Haha, that's superb. 

The Libs hypocrisy is fantastic and come any debate or election period where more people are paying attention then that'll show them up for the oddballs they are. 

Edited by Kejan

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I used to think Libdems were just basically nice folk and ended up voting for them for a while after Iraq stopped me voting Labour but I wonder if that was ever true and they were total b*****ds all along?

Total b*****ds all along.