General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Christ, how old are you? I remember my mum saying she was amazed when she first heard a black person with a Scottish accent at that age, but she'd met black people before that, and she was brought up in the post-war mining villages in Ayrshire, which must have been hoaching with the diversity.

I am 34, I grew up in a small village outside of Falkirk. I knew the folk who ran the Chinese Takeaway, they were from Hong Kong, and I knew the Pakistani guy who ran the shop. Had never laid eyes on a black person IRL.

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Didn't North Korea have their embassy in a London bedsit for a while?

You'd like to think we could afford to flat share with them.

Not a good idea.  The original South Korean anthem was sung to the music of Auld Lang Syne.  Could be a misunderstanding and suddenly you have an anti-tank missile being pointed in your direction.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

If you are Scottish, i.e a British citizen, you are not an EU citizen.

My previous statement obviously presumed an independent Scotland, as you well know.

I would expect an independent Scotland to be a member of the EU.

Are you suggesting that as I was born a UK citizen, I would retain the rght to consular services at UK embassies after independence? If so, what was your original point?

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

My previous statement obviously presumed an independent Scotland, as you well know.

I would expect an independent Scotland to be a member of the EU.

Are you suggesting that as I was born a UK citizen, I would retain the rght to consular services at UK embassies after independence? If so, what was your original point?

But when would that expectation be realised?

The Scottish Centre for European Relations published a comprehensive report on the subject in March.  The SCER is an EU, not anti-Indy, think tank - https://www.scer.scot/about/mission. The report estimates that the application process will take a minimum of 4 to 5 years and  can be found here -  https://www.scer.scot/wp-content/uploads/Final-report-pdf-20-March-An-Independent-Scotland-in-the-EU-March-17-2020.pdf

"In the face of a legally and constitutionally valid independence process, it is hard to argue that an independent Scotland (with 47 years experience as part of the EU, within the UK) would not be likely to succeed in joining. James KerLindsay (chapter 13) argues Scotland would rapidly overtake the western Balkan candidate and potential candidate countries if it were independent in the next few years."

"The fastest an independent Scotland might join the EU is about 4-5 years from independence . Scotland would have to apply, be accepted as a candidate, participate in negotiations and undertake all the adjustments that would be demanded by the EU during that process, followed by all 27 EU member states ratifying the EU treaty.... It is hard to see it being much swifter."

The report is worth reading.

5 years would be cool. Couple of years transition from the UK, copy Ireland's arrangements with borders etc with the rUK including the Common Travel Area, establish an independent currency, Central Bank, the other institutions, adopt any changes to EU rules and Roberto's your uncle. 

The Scottish Centre for European Relations published a comprehensive report on the subject in March.  The SCER is an EU, not anti-Indy, think tank - https://www.scer.scot/about/mission. The report estimates that the application process will take a minimum of 4 to 5 years and  can be found here -  https://www.scer.scot/wp-content/uploads/Final-report-pdf-20-March-An-Independent-Scotland-in-the-EU-March-17-2020.pdf
"In the face of a legally and constitutionally valid independence process, it is hard to argue that an independent Scotland (with 47 years experience as part of the EU, within the UK) would not be likely to succeed in joining. James KerLindsay (chapter 13) argues Scotland would rapidly overtake the western Balkan candidate and potential candidate countries if it were independent in the next few years."
"The fastest an independent Scotland might join the EU is about 4-5 years from independence . Scotland would have to apply, be accepted as a candidate, participate in negotiations and undertake all the adjustments that would be demanded by the EU during that process, followed by all 27 EU member states ratifying the EU treaty.... It is hard to see it being much swifter."
EFTA

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I always imagine what goes through the signmaker's head when some zoomer comes in with something like that on a memory stick.

Anyways crack on, the more lunatic unionist Da types shitting their pants in public the better.

Of course there are no lunatic Nats out there in the public domain.D22DACE9-887C-4623-92F7-21C64982A4FC.thumb.jpeg.780e77a12ebb8bdbb3df04268ef71b7c.jpeg7B1671B7-05F7-416D-9C71-ED2B3A4F9521.thumb.jpeg.2907ade578f5e33915403181b1404881.jpegC9C346FA-B458-4F9B-BD94-B4918DB3286A.thumb.jpeg.97b3e43b27132c35feccd376820983a1.jpeg

On 23/06/2020 at 11:42, Bairnardo said:

I am 34, I grew up in a small village outside of Falkirk. I knew the folk who ran the Chinese Takeaway, they were from Hong Kong, and I knew the Pakistani guy who ran the shop. Had never laid eyes on a black person IRL.

That's mental. There's a joke about your height and your parents keeping you locked up in a cupboard in there somewhere, but I'm too nice to say it.

Just got the annual leaflet from Alexander Stewart MSP through the door. The usual collection of photos featuring the man himself that politicians tend to send out - "look, here I am glomming on to some charity event that I had nothing to do with! This is me in a picture with some people who actually did something worthwhile this year!" Always comes across like a Christmas family newsletter.

Anyway, I thought I'd imagined this last time, but there isn't a single mention of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party anywhere on the entire thing. You'd think he was an independent candidate. We all made fun of Tory propaganda referring to 'Ruth Davidson's Party' when she was at the helm, but has it become normal for Tories to be so embarrassed about the party they're affiliated with?

14 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:
16 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

EFTA

Citizens of EFTA countries are not EU citizens - the issue that was being discussed.