General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 4/3/2018 at 12:18, JamieThomas said:

The Ferret Fact Service, releasing an annual report of their fact checks from the Scottish parties here:

https://theferret.scot/ferret-fact-service-fact-checking-numbers/

For those wanting a quick summary:

SNP: 75% true/mostly true

Labour 60% true/mostly true

Conservative: 12% true/mostly true

One of those percentages stuns me tbh. (Pro-tip: It's Labour, the dirty lying branch office c***s)

Hot on the heels of this revelation the Tories try to clean up their act by, erm, lying again...

The independent Ferret Fact Checking Service notes that only those earning above £33,000 will pay more tax in Scotland:

https://theferret.scot/scottish-military-tax-higher-24000-fact-check/

28 minutes ago, RiG said:

Hot on the heels of this revelation the Tories try to clean up their act by, erm, lying again...

The independent Ferret Fact Checking Service notes that only those earning above £33,000 will pay more tax in Scotland:

https://theferret.scot/scottish-military-tax-higher-24000-fact-check/

And ignore Council Tax completely - avg £400 cheaper p.a. than in England.

I wonder when the pension will be scrapped altogether. We've been told for many years that it will be 'unaffordable' and I remember 30 years ago that the pensions advisors I talked to warned that the state pension would some day disappear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43654409

The auto enrolment increments seem like a way for the government to eventually stop paying pensions and just let everyone fend for themselves. Survival of the fittest.

Figures produced for the BBC suggest that someone who pays into an auto-enrolment pension from the age of 25 could eventually earn an annual income of up to £18,000 a year, on top of the state pension.

This a quote from the article but I really don't believe that the pension will be here in 45 years.

Edited by Suspect Device

59 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I wonder when the pension will be scrapped altogether. We've been told for many years that it will be 'unaffordable' and I remember 30 years ago that the pensions advisors I talked to warned that the state pension would some day disappear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43654409

The auto enrolment increments seem like a way for the government to eventually stop paying pensions and just let everyone fend for themselves. Survival of the fittest.

British people have massively under saved for decades. This is exacerbated by low growth in earnings from bonds and other low risk asset classes. Either drop the tax on alcohol and encourage everyone to drink themselves to an early grave or up the amount we save. Company contributions are also rising.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16142178.Mhairi_Black__I_hated_SNP_s_White_Paper_and_told_people_to_ignore_it/

Guid wee piece with Mhairi. For some reason NTP thinks she's an irrelevance...

On 10/11/2017 at 18:00, NotThePars said:

I think a lot of it was laughter tbf. It's a last gasp of relevancy from an increasingly irrelevant MP who was all for chucking it six months ago.

Edited by Sunrise

On 4/4/2018 at 18:42, pandarilla said:

I'm not quite so sure.

We'd be more able to support our own industries, and even renationalise. These things are much harder to do within the eu.

Obviously we'd need to get a corbyn style government in place, and a brexit deal that isn't too restrictive.

We'll even be able to cut APD without worrying about having to seek a new approval from the EU for exemptions for the Highlands and Islands.

18 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The Fm off to china today looking forward to "china bad" after Maybots vist when China was great

First Minister, you can't possibly trade with these people as their human rights are terrible, from the right wing MSM who support what the Elite are doing to the common 5/8th in this precious union. Of course there will be various other SNPbad bingo terms used as well.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I see the relentless Tory & media attacks on communist spy/traitor/Kremlin stooge/anti-semite Jeremy Corbyn  have worked a treat.

The people of England are starting to twig on to what Scotland has experienced since 2012. Social media, the exposure of Cambridge analytics etc has started to make them doubt the ''news'' they are being fed, and not before time.

I would be amazed if you’ll see any of the two parties move above 45% consistently in the polls. There’s clear distance between the two ideologically and the other parties bar the SNP are nosediving back into obscurity.

9 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I see the relentless Tory & media attacks on communist spy/traitor/Kremlin stooge/anti-semite Jeremy Corbyn  have worked a treat.

Mental and shameful that they all have such support. Just what the f**k are folk thinking? I hate society so much 

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Mental and shameful that they all have such support. Just what the f**k are folk thinking? I hate society so much 

I genuinely find it staggering that anyone can look at the likes of Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Gavin Williamson and think "these are the best people to run our country".  We're rivalling the USA in how much of a clusterf**k we can make of our politics.