General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50146805

This would be a very odd move by Unite if they deselect Murray. I know he criticises Corbyn but he votes as the party wishes and I can’t see that he’s done much wrong.

Used to live in the area and I think that Murray wins it because he’s a good MP for the area, rather than it being a Labour constituency.

26 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

This would be a very odd move by Unite if they deselect Murray. I know he criticises Corbyn but he votes as the party wishes and I can’t see that he’s done much wrong.

Used to live in the area and I think that Murray wins it because he’s a good MP for the area, rather than it being a Labour constituency.

Odd but hilarious.

Can't comment on how good of an MP he actually is. But he does appear to have a strong cult following.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

The article doesn't make sense. If there is a vote on him it will be by his CLP members. Unite don't have local branches.

2 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Odd but hilarious.

Can't comment on how good of an MP he actually is. But he does appear to have a strong cult following.

I never voted for him as I tend to vote SNP, but outside the matter of independence, he pretty much seems to vote along the same lines as the SNP do and so generally I never had much of an issue with him being our MP.

He is quite visible in the area and we did have occasion to get in touch with him and he was quick to respond and he was pretty helpful. 

Ruth Davidson interview: "Lots of people have second acts" as she takes City job at Tulchan PR

She will be paid £50,000 for 24 days’ work a year.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/ruth-davidson-interview-lots-of-people-have-second-acts-as-she-takes-city-job-at-tulchan-pr-a4268651.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1571840621

And still an MSP, too. What a hard worker.

17 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

PIP assessor told claimant to ignore her ‘irrelevant’ suicide attempt… then challenged her son to a fight

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/pip-assessor-told-claimant-to-ignore-her-irrelevant-suicide-attempt-then-challenged-her-son-to-a-fight/

"The assessor ran downstairs and then turned and told her son, who was still at the top of the stairs: “You want a fight do you, mate, because I can give you a fight?”

images (2).jpeg

Not trying to be contrarian, because the assessor has obviously acted like a complete and utter shit, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the guy himself is another victim of the whole WCA shambles. It must be really hard to hold it together long-term when you're one of the instruments tasked with administering it. Sounds to me like the guy has totally flipped his lid in sheer frustration. You can always say he should have left his job ages ago if that's the case, but that's not always easy if you're in the grip of despair and have a mortgage to pay.

Poor woman and her family though. Guy is obviously for the high jump, but I don't think this is as remotely simple as 'rogue, arsehole WCA bod'

Edit - Ah hold on, Capita employee. I take it all back. Recruiting raging sociopaths is almost their raison d'être

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

That'll be the Fire service getting scapegoated for Grenfell tower this morning, with the ever mild mannered Daily Mail questioning if charges should be brought against them.

Vile. 

Can you imagine the stick they'd have got if they ignored standard practice and sent the residents out to burn on the stairways instead of staying safely in their flats, as would be the case if they weren't living in a big firework?