General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 04/11/2019 at 15:30, ICTJohnboy said:

Priti Patel has just announced that the UK terrorism threat level has been downgraded from severe to substantial - its lowest level since 2014.

Presumably trying to suggest that terrorist attacks are less likely under a Tory Govt.

Irresponsible claim or what? Hopefully no terrorist groups have picked up on that announcement.

You're being serious, aren't you?

I think you'll find right wing governments are more usually accused of talking up security threats.

Unbelievable comment. He has surely not gone on the radio with the intention of saying those words in the run up to an election and they must have slipped out by mistake, even though they are clearly the beliefs of him and people of his ilk.

Unfortunately Rees Mogg knows he’s in a safe seat and won’t have much of a challenge.

The utter c**t of a man should resign and f**k off if he had any morals though.

11 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Andrew Bridgen says 'clever' Jacob Rees-Mogg would have escaped Grenfell Tower fire

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/andrew-bridgen-on-grenfell-tower-fire-1-6359845

Bridgen doubles down.

I'd like to put Mogg in a tower block and set it on fire.

Oh, forgot to say, I'd booby-trap all the exits, lifts, stairs, roof access points as well as his front door and windows.

And fridge, for good measure.

Cauc that he is.

26 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Unfortunately Rees Mogg knows he’s in a safe seat and won’t have much of a challenge.

The utter c**t of a man should resign and f**k off if he had any morals though.

NE Somerset was only created in 2010 , probably with that aim  but there are a lot of  'closet Liberals'  in the West Country and it is possible they will turn against him. The vote to leave was close in his constituency.

Here's hoping. It would be a glorious moment to watch that result coming in.

On 04/11/2019 at 08:05, Granny Danger said:

A long read, but an interesting NYT article explaining the corruption of the EU farm subsidies.

Can’t understand why most EU countries don’t want to tackle such abuse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/world/europe/eu-farm-subsidy-hungary.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Maybe, just maybe, after the brexit fiasco is over and we find ourselves still in the EU, :) the Brexit Party MEPs could earn their pay by highlighting such abuse and campaigning against it, instead of just trying to run away from it.

Doubt it, though.

As an aside, here's a bit of the article that should be shoved down brexiters' throats.

Unstated is that, while audits can catch incidents of outright fraud, rooting out self-dealing and legalized corruption is far more difficult. The European Union seldom interferes with national affairs, giving deference to elected leaders.

Edited by cyderspaceman

8 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Maybe, just maybe, after the brexit fiasco is over and we find ourselves still in the EU, :) the Brexit Party MEPs could earn their pay by highlighting such abuse and campaigning against it, instead of just trying to run away from it.

Doubt it, though.

As an aside, here's a bit of the article that should be shoved down brexiters' throats.

Orban disagrees strongly with this.  Whilst Hungary is one of the main culprits of cronyism in the farm subsidy racket the EU turns a blind eye.  However, the democratically elected government making democratic decisions to change the judiciary is something that the EU interfere with.  The narrative is clear - we know everyone is screwing the CAP and we have no will to tackle it AS LONG as you toe the line.

The difference between EU's position on Spain and Hungary is stark. 

2 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I'd like to put Mogg in a tower block and set it on fire.

Making sure the corridors are filled with smoke that chokes him to death whilst those in their flats stay safe whilst the fire is put out. 

The guy, like most Tories, clearly see themselves as being superior beings to those below them. Funnily enough though, it's this behaviour that highlights who the true sub-human scum are. 

15 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Andrew Bridgen says 'clever' Jacob Rees-Mogg would have escaped Grenfell Tower fire

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/andrew-bridgen-on-grenfell-tower-fire-1-6359845

Bridgen doubles down.

The quote below, wow.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's PM show on Tuesday, Mr Bridgen said: "What he's actually saying is that he would have made a better decision than the authority figures who gave that advice."

Asked by presenter Evan Davis if Mr Rees-Mogg was implying that he was cleverer than most people, Mr Bridgen replied: "But we want very clever people running the country, don't we, Evan?

16DE830F-50AE-4AC2-A9D9-393011881792.jpeg

11 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

You're being serious, aren't you?

I think you'll find right wing governments are more usually accused of talking up security threats.

I don't think you've quite grasped this have you?

How else could you interpret this announcement?

Priti Patel has just announced that the UK terrorism threat level has been downgraded from severe to substantial - its lowest level since 2014.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

I don't think you've quite grasped this have you?

How else could you interpret this announcement?

Errm. That the security services think the threat is slightly less at the moment?

As I tried to explain to you - the norm for the last 100 years has been for conservative and right wing governments around the world be to be accused of talking-up (not down) both external and internal security threats, as a means to argue for more law and order, tougher sentences, more arms, more military action abroad etc. Trump is maybe the first to go against the norm in this regard.

So, if a Conservative minister says things are a wee bit less bad, I would just take that at face value. And hope they don't get too complacent.

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

So, if a Conservative minister says things are a wee bit less bad, I would just take that at face value. And hope they don't get too complacent.

Saying there is a substantial threat hardly makes you feel more confident though.

The Tories using taxpayer’s money to lie about the consequences of Universal Credit and getting pulled up by the ASA for it: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/06/government-universal-credit-deception-asa-taxpayer-funded-features

A vote for the Tories is a vote to drive people into destitution. You can be a decent human being or you can vote Tory; pick one.

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Saying there is a substantial threat hardly makes you feel more confident though.

I know. But Welshboy/Johnbairn reckons it's all a pre-election a Tory plot to get votes by pretending the security services think the risk is down a bit. As if nobody in the security services would speak up if it was a lie!

Edited by Pet Jeden

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure it was a pure coincidence dropping the threat level just after an election was announced. Waiting for the first poster saying "You're safer with the Tories"

They have obviously their payroll Jihadis under better control than they did in 2017.