General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I posted this in the billionaires thread. It is probably a daft suggestion but in my head it makes sense. It was in relation to me saying I would be happy to pay more tax. I think it is absolutely obscene that there are people living in poverty in such a developed country. I made the below table up as a small example of what the government could do to help these people. The number of taxpayers is taken from 2017 figures. The number of taxpayers has actually increased so the extra tax could be higher. Anyways, it is a relatively fair system and everyone has equal amounts taken off with the lowest earners only having a small amount of extra tax. Anyone below £30k has nothing taken off. I am off to submit my CV to Holyrood. Extra tax to pump into helping to lift people out of poverty. 

image.png.776a4afcea5988153ac8fc6609f7fb39.png

45 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Don't you think that the SNP with around 50+ seats, would make a deal with Labour to enable them to form a government?

Good chance it still wouldn't be enough. We'd more than likely require the Lib Dems..... who have already ruled out a coalition with Labour. (Not with the tories though)

41 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I posted this in the billionaires thread. It is probably a daft suggestion but in my head it makes sense. It was in relation to me saying I would be happy to pay more tax. I think it is absolutely obscene that there are people living in poverty in such a developed country. I made the below table up as a small example of what the government could do to help these people. The number of taxpayers is taken from 2017 figures. The number of taxpayers has actually increased so the extra tax could be higher. Anyways, it is a relatively fair system and everyone has equal amounts taken off with the lowest earners only having a small amount of extra tax. Anyone below £30k has nothing taken off. I am off to submit my CV to Holyrood. Extra tax to pump into helping to lift people out of poverty. 

Where are you getting 10,814,000 tax payers?

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

As i said, taken from 2016-17 figures. The total number of tax payers is about 31m but obviously a lot of them fall within less than £30k

IMG_3218.jpg

Ah, so UK wide then.

Although it looks good on paper, it wouldn't work out that way in practice. Those higher earners know exactly where to stash their cash to avoid paying the correct amount of tax. Those lower earners on the table will then be hit harder to make up for the shortfall. Which creates a scenario that no government in  power wants. The alienation of middle class voters.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The Tories using taxpayer’s money to lie about the consequences of Universal Credit and getting pulled up by the ASA for it: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/06/government-universal-credit-deception-asa-taxpayer-funded-features

A vote for the Tories is a vote to drive people into destitution. You can be a decent human being or you can vote Tory; pick one.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness", John Galbraith. 

Ah, so UK wide then.
Although it looks good on paper, it wouldn't work out that way in practice. Those higher earners know exactly where to stash their cash to avoid paying the correct amount of tax. Those lower earners on the table will then be hit harder to make up for the shortfall. Which creates a scenario that no government in  power wants. The alienation of middle class voters.

Aye i cant find similar figures for scotland at the moment.

Yeah i know what you mean. It should just be a standard amount that you can’t get out of. I can’t get over the fact that people earning a decent salary would not be willing to pay such a small amount extra to help others less fortunate.

Yeah i know what you mean. It should just be a standard amount that you can’t get out of. I can’t get over the fact that people earning a decent salary would not be willing to pay such a small amount extra to help others less fortunate.

Because those who earn a decent salary have ‘worked hard’ in their minds for their decent salary, and thus those who earn less than them work ‘less hard’. If only everyone would ‘work harder’ we’d all be on decent salaries. Easy, right?

Haven’t you said you vote Tory? I’d suggest going to a meeting with Tory voters/members/politicians/financial backers. This post combined with your tax proposal (which I think seems pretty reasonable) makes me think you’re not really a Tory, you’re just confused.

Because those who earn a decent salary have ‘worked hard’ in their minds for their decent salary, and thus those who earn less than them work ‘less hard’. If only everyone would ‘work harder’ we’d all be on decent salaries. Easy, right?

Haven’t you said you vote Tory? I’d suggest going to a meeting with Tory voters/members/politicians/financial backers. This post combined with your tax proposal (which I think seems pretty reasonable) makes me think you’re not really a Tory, you’re just confused.

Nah i used to vote tory then i saw the light and now vote snp.

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

That's a very long way of basically suggesting an increase in the higher tax rate from 40% to 41.8%. And it raises less than 1% of what the government spends a year.

That's a very long way of basically suggesting an increase in the higher tax rate from 40% to 41.8%. And it raises less than 1% of what the government spends a year.

You make it sound like that is a bad thing? 1% is better than none sunshine

Landlord refuses to serve anyone not wearing a poppy.

No greater way to celebrate the fight against fascism and dictatorship IMO.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/remembrance-sunday-pub-poppy-refuse-drink-veterans-bristol-three-lions-a9197211.html

On 09/11/2019 at 08:35, MixuFixit said:

Errago

50 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm obviously a big Corbyn fan but the one thing he is missing is some gainz.

Next Labour billboard please.

5fudhlyj5ze31.thumb.jpg.fd3c1f57c7987fbf671e485695cbdf7c.jpg

Spain is even more fucked than the UK.

PSOE (Blairites) refuse to form coalition with Podemos (lefties) because Podemos want 3 ministries. So new elections. PSOE take a hard line on Catalonia during the campaign contributing to a nationalist frenzy. Today's election looks to have resulted in the right block winning with a potential coalition between PP (Francoists pretending they aren't) and Vox outright fascists.