General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Can see the Tories tactics for the next 3 or 4 years now leading up to the next GE...

Claim they 'Got Brexit Done' (whatever the disaster)

Claim they 'Built the Recovery' (whatever the reality-they will say that they put the money in furlough etc, to rebuild after Covid)

Claim they 'Saved the Union'....'if' an Indy Ref goes ahead, say in 2023, they will come up with some Vow 2 (which they have no intention of implementing, but 'if' it swings enough soft Yes voters round for a narrow 'No' win...

Obviously Johnson can only ever talk in three word soundbites...looks like these ones, or ones like them, will be their aim.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Claim they 'Saved the Union'....'if' an Indy Ref goes ahead, say in 2023, they will come up with some Vow 2 (which they have no intention of implementing, but 'if' it swings enough soft Yes voters round for a narrow 'No' win..

Labour will try the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Was there not a study out about the Dutch folk who seem to be mega tall and it turned out just to be eating mega amounts of cheese.

I seem to remember that, and that at the time of WW2 they were the shortest in Europe. Urban myth?

Also, the Serbs are freakishly tall. Do the Serbs eat much cheese? I've asked too many cheese questions, I won't sleep tonight.

17 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I seem to remember that, and that at the time of WW2 they were the shortest in Europe. Urban myth?

Also, the Serbs are freakishly tall. Do the Serbs eat much cheese? I've asked too many cheese questions, I won't sleep tonight.

Urban myth, the short ones drowned before they built the dykes.

16 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54828544

Poor diet: Children 20cm shorter as a result, analysis says

Glorious Britannia where the kids are shrinking because their diet is shit.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Think of the benefits:

• Less legroom needed on transport = more paying bodies crammed in
  • Allocation of smaller work areas
  • Less headspace required in personal dwelling units
  • Smaller ovens for the crematoria
  • Best of all, they'll all fucking die before they get a sniff of the state pension. 

A bright new dawn for Britain!

Apologies, never heard of him. Thought I was just quoting Curtiss about this topsy turvy parallel universe we've ended up in, with Boris "f**k business" Johnson as Tory PM.

Edited by welshbairn

Not so sure. The Tories have now hoovered up the entire gammon vote, having seen off/morphed into the Brexit Party, and with their great 'triumph' of the deal in Johnson's pocket. They have also been cheer led this year by the usual suspects, Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph. They have attracted a lot of praise for the furlough scheme, and the big economic fallout of both Covid and Brexit is still to come. Also their great leader valiantly fought off Covid himself.

With all that in mind, it would be surprising for any opposition (in England) to be 20 points clear of them at the moment. Opinions of Tories in England and Scotland are very different animals.