General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

One thing I think about politics and harrassment is that there's a certain type of person who gets into politics and becomes a harraser.  I can't quite put my finger on it but there's kind of a strange feeling you get about some of these people.  I hesitate to use terms like 'beta' as that's all a bit 4chan but that sort of vibe.  

I think that if anything, it probably demands a certain degree of ego to actually desire to be an elected official, and once that desire becomes reality the ego then moves on to more wistful things, like 'I'm important and somewhat powerful now, therefore everyone must fancy me/find it flattering if I make a move on them'.

I've spent a bit of time in the company of minor elected officials through work, and I'd say that every single one of them, even the ones I perceive to be all around good people, have a certain air of 'billy big baws' about them. It's not entirely unwarranted, because some of them are genuinely intelligent, well-meaning, and somewhat inspirational people that I, personally, would look up to, but they do tend to be a bit egomaniacal. Certainly no shrinking violets or chronically shy introverts that I've met.

OK.  A copper killed a woman and the women decided to have a vigil for her so the cops broke it up violently. It's not a good look.
Compare and contrast with the treatment afforded the the rangers fans in Glasgow last week, and it looks even worse. Of course Patel has thrown a minion to the press this morning.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

OK.  A copper killed a woman and the women decided to have a vigil for her so the cops broke it up violently. It's not a good look.

The question of context is perfectly correct.

These women may have been behaving violently.

One minute they are baying for equality and the next we get ‘oh, we’re nice gentle women!’

On 10/03/2021 at 22:42, Boo Khaki said:

Considering this is exactly what a huge proportion of the wider Scots population under 40 spend most of every weekend trying to do, I am somewhat relieved to see that our politicians are relatively normal after all.

:whistle

I agree, but enough of the under 40 stuff !!

One minute they are baying for equality and the next we get ‘oh, we’re nice gentle women!’
Except there's a plethora of footage from last night which clearly shows precisely zero violence from the attendees, and massive overreaction from the police. Comparing it with the treatment of football fans in Glasgow last week is not only appropriate, it is the clearest demonstration yet of how Patel wants her flagship force to operate.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Arsehole

Except there's a plethora of footage from last night which clearly shows precisely zero violence from the attendees, and massive overreaction from the police. Comparing it with the treatment of football fans in Glasgow last week is not only appropriate, it is the clearest demonstration yet of how Patel wants her flagship force to operate.
There are reports of objects being thrown - no matter what kind of protest you organise you will also attract some elements who just want to have a go.

They really should have allowed the official vigil to proceed, with properly trained stewards - they tend to handle things better than the police.

Looks to me as if objects have been thrown by a tiny minority and the police have completely over-reacted.

That being said, there seems to be a lot of buck-passing by politicians here - I want to know who made the decision not to allow the organised vigil to proceed - because it won't just have been a police decision.

It's cool how in the past the police would just outright make up a lie and everyone would fall in line (De Menezes "jumping the barrier" when he did no such thing) but now you have documented footage of what happened and people are still responding "well maybe they DID encourage it and we just didn't see". Great stuff all round.

There are reports of objects being thrown - no matter what kind of protest you organise you will also attract some elements who just want to have a go.

They really should have allowed the official vigil to proceed, with properly trained stewards - they tend to handle things better than the police.

Looks to me as if objects have been thrown by a tiny minority and the police have completely over-reacted.

That being said, there seems to be a lot of buck-passing by politicians here - I want to know who made the decision not to allow the organised vigil to proceed - because it won't just have been a police decision.
Firstly, and I'm honestly getting tired of repeating this - it wasn't a protest.
Secondly, I'll take visual proof of "enthusiastic" policing of innocent citizens over reports of anything, although there are clips of a group of males being less than cooperative with the police. As you say, any gathering runs the risk of attracting an unrelated element with their own agenda.
I could almost feel a twinge of sympathy for Atkins being thrown to the press this morning, if it wasn't for the fact that she obviously doesn't have the balls to tell Patel to answer for her own policies or, apparently, the authority to tell that witch Dick to justify her implementation of those policies.

Firstly, and I'm honestly getting tired of repeating this - it wasn't a protest.
Secondly, I'll take visual proof of "enthusiastic" policing of innocent citizens over reports of anything, although there are clips of a group of males being less than cooperative with the police. As you say, any gathering runs the risk of attracting an unrelated element with their own agenda.
I could almost feel a twinge of sympathy for Atkins being thrown to the press this morning, if it wasn't for the fact that she obviously doesn't have the balls to tell Patel to answer for her own policies or, apparently, the authority to tell that witch Dick to justify her implementation of those policies.
I would say they were protesting about how low down the agenda misogyny and violence against women is - and they would be right.

Interesting to note that those intent on causing trouble were males - that's been my experience as well when it comes to demos in the past. These clowns can just f**k off and do one as far as I am concerned.

As I said - an official vigil would have dealt with the tiny minority of the renta-an-anarchist fringe far better.

You come across as the sort of chap who is legally required to report to a probation officer on a regular basis tbh.

I would say they were protesting about how low down the agenda misogyny and violence against women is - and they would be right.

Interesting to note that those intent on causing trouble were males - that's been my experience as well when it comes to demos in the past. These clowns can just f**k off and do one as far as I am concerned.

As I said - an official vigil would have dealt with the tiny minority of the renta-an-anarchist fringe far better.
I agree with your final para. Unfortunately, the decision was made (I assume by Dick, or someone close to her) to disallow the "official" vigil. It remains the case that what did transpire later was seen by the participants as a vigil. I have absolutely no doubt there will be protests aplenty in the coming weeks for Patel to use as justification for new legislation, but let's not do her groundwork for her.