General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Who the hell said I wasn't unhappy about it? I've been banging on for years to get people to register, as this is the most important part of the whole affair. The legislation was passed five years ago, jmo, and it didn't take Party membership to motivate me.

You'll be warning me about TTIP next...

Just because we knew it was coming doesn't mean that now we know what it looks like we should be happy about it. This is the time when we can show what it actually means in real terms and have maximum impact when making an issue of it.

17 hours ago, strichener said:

Now if only they would start reducing the numbers in the HoL.  They number far more than the MPs before these changes.

Spot on. I have no problem with the current number of MPs. The cost of the House of Commons, following changes in the expenses regime, is now under control. The boundaries should be reviewed to ensure that constituencies have a similar number of the voters - voters who are eligible, rather than just registered to vote.

My main concern is the bloated House of Lords which has lost its credibility under Blair, Brown and Cameron. My preference is for an elected senate but that is probably not an option under the current government. Instead, there should be a mass cull of Peers. The cronies and party donors would be the main target. The reform would protect experienced Parliamentarians (especially Ministers and former Ministers) with proven track records.

The tide is thankfully slowly turning against the lunatic 'Progressives' and their fascist political correctness and safe spaces, so much so that Theresa May calls it out in Parliament.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/14/theresa-may-hits-out-at-universities-safe-spaces-for-stifling-fr/

"I think everybody is finding this concept of safe spaces quite extraordinary, frankly.

"We want to see that innovation of thought taking place in our universities. That's how we develop as a country, as a society and as an economy."

Her comments come after a group of leading academics wrote to the Telegraph warning that British universities were becoming too politically correct and stifling free speech by banning anything that causes offence to others.

Cultural commentary is starting to emerge such as in South Park spending half a season mocking these issues, and going by the new South Park episode they are not going to let up.

There is hope yet that the slide into tyranny is reversed and narcissistic snowflakes across the western world get the mental help / kick up the rectum they so desperately need.

Edited by banana

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37409451

Angela Merkel's CDU party receives its worst election results in a long time and she finally admits her decisions over the migrant crisis were a mistake. 

Least of her problems at the moment, her government have been silencing anyone who openly speaks against the migrant situation. Wonder if that means she will have to silence herself now. 

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

2 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Least of her problems at the moment, her government have been silencing anyone who openly speaks against the migrant situation. Wonder if that means she will have to silence herself now. 

Silencing people leads to rises in the extremes. Weird that.

Some of the headlines don't quite seem to reflect the story with Germany atm.

I was under the impression that AfD had taken the Berlin elections, only to read the article and find out that they've beaten someone into fifth on 14%.

Merkel is taking a hammering though. Germans seem pretty suspicious of political extremes, the far right polling 10-15% nationwide after the country has handled the refugee crisis practically single handedly probably reflects that.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I see Reynard has finally made it big on Twitter.

Wonder how long before plod pay a visit.

I don't think he means half the shite he says but hell mend you if you get sucked into the world of Effie deans and Gallacher.

Noticed that too. He was trolling me a while back so no sympathy. 

Crazy comments about being tooled up