Bleakest parts of Scotland

Raidernation

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I often find that on the drive between Edinburgh and Glasgow, Shotts/Harthill appears to have its own weather system.

Much like the Dalveen Pass has its own wee ecosystem. Not quite so bleak though.

Any of the roads around Shotts , Harthill , Forth are awful. Driving on the moon would be more scenic!

Very few seem to have understood the premise of the thread, despite the explanation.

Anyway, the road between Caldercruix and Limerigg is across a peat bog and even though it's a relatively short distance it is a windswept, featureless moonscape.

This was what I was going to say.

No discernible features or landmarks whatosever between the cultural epicentres of Caldercruix and Limerigg. Just a seemingly never-ending scene of brown and green.

The road you come off from the A9 to head up to Thurso is pretty bleak

I just find the flagstone walls along that road creepy (where slabs have been propped up rather than building proper stane dykes). Lazy f***ers.

Controversial I know, but I find the wind farm there quite cool.

I'll start with Dava Moor, between Nairn and Grantown on Spey. It really is bleak, I've driven it many times in both daylight and the dark, and it's not a place you'd want to break down.

Last time I visited my home town of nairn I took that road. Me and my 10 month old child as the wife was at a hen in cork. Not another car for most of it. Bliss. Brilliant drive, quicker than a9 then A96 at the time of day.

Inspired in part by the "worst towns in Scotland" thread

What I'm meaning is those parts of Scotland that are really bleak (like it says in the title). Not necessarily ugly or ravaged by dead and gone heavy industry, but also those places that can just seem "empty"

I'll start with Dava Moor, between Nairn and Grantown on Spey. It really is bleak, I've driven it many times in both daylight and the dark, and it's not a place you'd want to break down.

I'll add a section of the North Highland rail line from around Kinbrace to Forsinard then on to Scotscalder, there large parts of that where there's no sign of civilization at all.

Looking forward to your suggestions folks.......

Round Christmas I did some cycling on Southern Scotland. One morning I remember as really sharp, cold weather in South Lanarkshire past Lanark and Tinto but clear skies and a fresh breeze in the face. It was what some would call bleak but as the Sun broke over the Southern Uplands, the fresh as the first time it had been breathed air and the sky that went from inky black to sky blue it was ... I dunno.. no drug no tourist trap will catch that sense of exilerhation I felt head down pushing into the winds that morning.

Bleak?

To some people.

But if you could bottle that sense of emptiness, smell of fresh new made air, feeling of fucking yaldi as I headed into the sunrise? Bleak was just not a word that fitted.

Scotland can be a lot of negative things. But sometimes you just take the most amazing places and rag them for the hell of it.

Round Christmas I did some cycling on Southern Scotland. One morning I remember as really sharp, cold weather in South Lanarkshire past Lanark and Tinto but clear skies and a fresh breeze in the face. It was what some would call bleak but as the Sun broke over the Southern Uplands, the fresh as the first time it had been breathed air and the sky that went from inky black to sky blue it was ... I dunno.. no drug no tourist trap will catch that sense of exilerhation I felt head down pushing into the winds that morning.

Bleak?

To some people.

But if you could bottle that sense of emptiness, smell of fresh new made air, feeling of fucking yaldi as I headed into the sunrise? Bleak was just not a word that fitted.

Scotland can be a lot of negative things. But sometimes you just take the most amazing places and rag them for the hell of it.

Aye, as I think I tried to explain bleak can be on both ds of the beauty "scale" and all points in-between

Betty Hill* in Sutherland. Some of the views are beautiful but man there's a whole lot of f**k all up there.

*Bettyhill

Tricky one, Tashy. My auld man was from Strathy - a few miles east of Bettyhill so I know the area. Many miles of peat bog but some utterly gorgeous seascape.

Archived