The All New 2016 MLB Thread

lichtie23

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs should get a huge lift from the way that series ended. Was looking like back to Wrigley for a very nervy game 5, and then suddenly the Cubs rally against a shaky bullpen and its all over. Huge sense of relief for me as Game 5 would have been a tough ask against Cueto with Bumgarner maybe out of the pen as well.

Honestly not sure who i'd rather the Cubs see in the NLCS. Kershaw remains terrifying to face in a short series, but Scherzer isn't far behind.

Indians v Blue Jays an interesting matchup as well. A lot of people seem to be leaning towards Cleveland, but i could see it go either way

17 hours ago, Kamikaze Ken said:

Safe to say the Giants need to find a new closer in the off-season.

After Hibs winning the Scottish Cup, this surely now must be the Cubs year also.

I wondered that in the aftermath of the cup final. After being in Chicago last year when they won whatever stage that was (equivalent of the quarter-finals) and seeing how crazy the place was going in the build-up to the next games, I'd love to see them win it. However, after Sunday night I want the Blue Jays to win it. I can see the nightmare scenario of the pair of them facing off for the World Series! Four of the five teams left are places I've been on holiday - hopefully the Dodgers get stuffed to get it up the security guard who wouldn't let me go to the stadium for a tour as I didn't have ID.

15 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Can't stand the Dodgers, or the Cubs.  But I'd far rather the Cubs win this series.  

Strikes me that the two NL teams are significantly stronger than the two AL sides.

I think the Indians are looking pretty strong and would fancy their chances in the World Series. Their offense was better than I realised this year.

Cubs Dodgers now tied up at 1-1 after a masterful Kershaw/Jansen pitching performance last night. Really setup to be an excellent series and i'd be surprised if it doesn't go to at least game 6 back in Chicago (which Kershaw might pitch in). I've got my fingers crossed that Arrieta pitches a gem tomorrow night to get the Cubs back in front.

On a separate note - Javier Baez is more entertaining to watch than any other Cubs player I can remember. His mind seems to be running at 100mph on every play - see last night's double-play on a soft liner hit right at him. He lets it drop and confuses everybody on the infield (including his teammates) to get 2 easy outs. Also came within a whisker of hitting a 2-run HR last night that would have flipped the game on its head. 

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Hibs'd Cubs'd it.

Wee bit early for that, but cubs fans everywhere on the web seem to be jumping off bridges after last night's game. Classic shift from wildly over-confident about winning the world series after game 1, to contemplating trading the whole roster after losing games 2/3.

Painful memories of last year's humbling 4-0 NLCS thumping from the Mets are reappearing as the cubs bats have gone ice-cold once again. Weirdly I actually think the Cubs match up better against Urias tonight that they did against Hill last night, but considering Kershaw will go the following night, the Cubs pretty much have to win to keep the series alive.

It's not quite doom and gloom just yet, but it's not far away. If the Dodgers win tonight it's very hard to see the Cubs overcoming that, given they'll have to face Kershaw again.

The hits the pitchers got against the Giants, that 9th innings comeback and the Montero grand slam in game 1 of the NLCS have covered a multitude of sins.

33 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

2-2. Russell and Rizzo hitting. It's all good. Maybe

Great bounce back last night and what a relief to get a run home after 20+ scoreless innings in a row. Series perfectly poised with 3 decent pitching matchups to follow:

Maeda vs Lester

Hendricks vs Kershaw

Arrieta vs Hill

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lester win tonight and Kershaw to win on Saturday. Which  would mean i'll definitely be staying up late on Sunday night for game 7!

Indians already at home with their feet up waiting on the victor. Incredible season for them given the pitching injuries they've dealt with.

Another stunning win for the Cubbies with Lester cruising and the offense suddenly unstoppable (apart from Heyward :thumbsdown)

2 shots at a World Series with home advantage is wonderful, but Kershaw on Saturday night makes that game a bit special. If it gets to game 7 its pretty much a coin flip at that point so I think they'll be looking to get it done against Kershaw if Hendricks can match him.

Last time a team led the NLCS 3-2 and had home advantage but then failed to reach the World Series? 2003... Additional drama to watch for this weekend - catchable foulballs down the left-field line :P

A bit bleary eyed this morning after managing the whole game last night. Incredible performance all round and a fairly emotional moment when clinching in the 9th. Hendricks was brilliant. Kershaw was as hittable as I've ever seen him - couldn't throw his curveball for strikes and the Cubs hit his fastball hard every inning. Incredible turn around from being shutout in games 2&3 and now just the Indians standing in the way of immortality. 

Archived