The All New 2016 MLB Thread

lichtie23

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be an emotional series starting tomorrow. Very tough for Collins and the Mets given what's at stake.

Can anyone explain the love-in for David Ross at Chicago? I understand he's been about a while and it's his last regular season game at Wrigley, but he's a journeyman back up catcher who has a career BA of 220. 

Having watched the pre-game stuff, I can't believe they're actually playing a game of baseball after that. I think literally everyone in the stadium, and everyone watching, has at least one tear in their eye.

9 hours ago, David W said:

Having watched the pre-game stuff, I can't believe they're actually playing a game of baseball after that. I think literally everyone in the stadium, and everyone watching, has at least one tear in their eye.

When Dee Gordon hit that HR in the first at bat, though. Bloody hell, that was emotional... :(

On 26/09/2016 at 03:16, placidcasual345 said:

Can anyone explain the love-in for David Ross at Chicago? I understand he's been about a while and it's his last regular season game at Wrigley, but he's a journeyman back up catcher who has a career BA of 220. 

Just a lot of affection for an old boy having a nice retirement year and playing the part of Grandfather to the Cubs youngsters. Don't think anyone actually considers him a superstar, but Cubs fans are in good moods about most things at the moment

Cubs have locked up Epstein/Hoyer/McLeod until 2021 now as well, and will be paying Theo $10 million a year. Money well spent i'd say given a lot of bad players make that much money.

10 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

Just a lot of affection for an old boy having a nice retirement year and playing the part of Grandfather to the Cubs youngsters. Don't think anyone actually considers him a superstar, but Cubs fans are in good moods about most things at the moment

Fair enough. I could just about get it if he'd spent 5 or 6 years at Wrigley but it's just all a bit OTT for me. He does seem to be a decent guy to have around.

Mets looking a stick on for at least one of the wildcard spots now. I'm worried about our rotation with all the injuries but if Bruce keeps improving, we've got a punchers chance against anyone. Still fancy the Cubs, still hope if it's not the Mets the Cubs win it all.

Well worth checking out the highlights of last night's Giants/Dodgers game.  A Dodgers fan ran on the pitch making some kind of political process and ran towards Angel Pagan.  Pagan, apparently, has martial arts training.  The boy didn't get back up again.  Whole stadium was rocking and the Giants proceeded to put up seven runs in an inning.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Well worth checking out the highlights of last night's Giants/Dodgers game.  A Dodgers fan ran on the pitch making some kind of political process and ran towards Angel Pagan.  Pagan, apparently, has martial arts training.  The boy didn't get back up again.  Whole stadium was rocking and the Giants proceeded to put up seven runs in an inning.

I just saw the clip. It was phenomenal. SCENES etc

Ryan Howard has his final appearance for the Phillies. He, like those who have left all too quickly in recent years (Hamels, Utley, Ruiz, Rollins) have been there since I've started following the team; a real end of an era.

Can't wait for next season!

Wildcards confirmed:

Giants @ Mets - winners travel to  Chicago

Orioles @ Blue Jays with the winners playing the Rangers in Texas.

Can't say about the AL, but Dodgers, Cubs, Giants, Nationals and Mets are comfortably the cream of the National League.  Could be quite a tight few series.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Wildcards confirmed:

Giants @ Mets - winners travel to  Chicago

Orioles @ Blue Jays with the winners playing the Rangers in Texas.

Can't say about the AL, but Dodgers, Cubs, Giants, Nationals and Mets are comfortably the cream of the National League.  Could be quite a tight few series.

With all due respect, would rather face the Mets than the Giants. The post season version of the Giants worry me.

Although, if I'm honest, I am resigned to the Cubs not winning the WS anyway. I haven't followed the AL too closely, but the Red Sox look like they might be hard to stop.

Apologies for invading this thread as I know sod all about baseball. Next week I'm going to Toronto with my brother and we've bought tickets for the game on Sunday incase the Blue Jays get there (we get our money back if we don't so all good).

Two questions:

1. What are the chances of the Blue Jays making it through tomorrow?

2. Are there any UK betting sites where I can take advantage of the sure thing that the Blue Jays will lose now we've bought tickets? Most of the big ones only seem to offer odds for Thursday onwards.

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Apologies for invading this thread as I know sod all about baseball. Next week I'm going to Toronto with my brother and we've bought tickets for the game on Sunday incase the Blue Jays get there (we get our money back if we don't so all good).

Two questions:

1. What are the chances of the Blue Jays making it through tomorrow?

2. Are there any UK betting sites where I can take advantage of the sure thing that the Blue Jays will lose now we've bought tickets? Most of the big ones only seem to offer odds for Thursday onwards.

There is very little between the teams head to head this season Jays 10 wins to Balimore's 9. Games at the Skydome (Don't call it the Rogers Centre, just, don't) the Jays won 6, Orioles 4. I believe with the home crowd behind them tonight though the Jays will win. The potential series against Texas should be great viewing, no love lost after what happened last year.

As far as betting goes, not sure about UK sites but we have Proline here, you can place a coupon with at most newsagents.

45 minutes ago, Torpar said:

There is very little between the teams head to head this season Jays 10 wins to Balimore's 9. Games at the Skydome (Don't call it the Rogers Centre, just, don't) the Jays won 6, Orioles 4. I believe with the home crowd behind them tonight though the Jays will win. The potential series against Texas should be great viewing, no love lost after what happened last year.

As far as betting goes, not sure about UK sites but we have Proline here, you can place a coupon with at most newsagents.

Bet 365 came through this morning so I lumped the seven quid in my account on the Orioles. I think. All very confusing.

At least if I see them I won't have to debate whether or not this Rangers is a new club.

Archived