The All New 2016 MLB Thread

lichtie23

Cubs are good. Beyond that nobody can really guess. They were good last year as well and then got humped by the Mets in the NLCS. 

At the start of the year I hadn't imagined the Cubs would win the division with 3-weeks to spare! Cardinals roughly where you'd expect but the Pirates falling away was a surprise to me. Not sure how the Cubs will treat the next 3 weeks of games, but you'd assume everybody gets some extra rest and hopefully they hit the ground running when the playoffs start.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SamuraiJock said:

Cubs are good. Beyond that nobody can really guess. They were good last year as well and then got humped by the Mets in the NLCS. 

At the start of the year I hadn't imagined the Cubs would win the division with 3-weeks to spare! Cardinals roughly where you'd expect but the Pirates falling away was a surprise to me. Not sure how the Cubs will treat the next 3 weeks of games, but you'd assume everybody gets some extra rest and hopefully they hit the ground running when the playoffs start.

There will be a lot of rotation, I imagine. The Cardinals have actually had an ok season, but they haven't got anywhere near the Cubs.

I worry about the Giants. I know they haven't been in great form, but if they get into the postseason their presence would worry me, with the whole even number thing.

The Cubs will crush whoever wins the NL wildcard game.

The Mets/Giants/Cards are all poor teams.

History tells us never bet against a Bruce Bochy team in the playoffs. Giants make it and I think they'll somehow get all the way to the WS.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

History tells us never bet against a Bruce Bochy team in the playoffs. Giants make it and I think they'll somehow get all the way to the WS.

Yeah, that's what worries me. They're the only other NL team that really concern me as a Cubs fan.

As a Giants fan, I've got to admit we've been absolutely terrible since the All Star Break; finding new ways to lose games all the time, having a closer who leads all of MLB in blown saves (that Bochy STILL insists on using in the 9th inning), making every scrub pitcher with an ERA above 5 look like Cy Young, getting swept by the Padres...twice!, and generally being a bit rubbish.
We're stumbling towards the end of the season like Derek Redmond at the '92 Olympics, and can hopefully string enough wins together, coupled with other team's loses, to somehow finish ahead of St Louis, the Mets, or by some miracle, the Dodgers.

In saying all that, though, I'd fancy the Giants chances against anyone should we get to the postseason.
They're a team that just know what to do once they get there, and I'd take Bumgarner, Cueto and Matt Moore against front three in MLB.

More talks between the MLB Commissioner and the Mayor of London last night apparently  (Khan threw the first pitch at the Mets game I think). Is it only me that thinks a baseball at the Olympic Stadium would be absolutely horrendous? There's a reason teams moved out of cookie cutter football parks and this one is even bigger. The seats look really shallow too.

On 22/09/2016 at 09:47, Salvo Montalbano said:

More talks between the MLB Commissioner and the Mayor of London last night apparently  (Khan threw the first pitch at the Mets game I think). Is it only me that thinks a baseball at the Olympic Stadium would be absolutely horrendous? There's a reason teams moved out of cookie cutter football parks and this one is even bigger. The seats look really shallow too.

There isn't close to being any kind of audience for it.  A spring training/exhibition  game, possibly.  But the market in the Netherlands is far more deserving of a MLB development project.

He'd just announced his gf was pregnant as well.

Absolutely gut wrenching news. In baseball terms, the equivalent of a Neymar or Pogba in terms of his future. An absolute bona fide star of the sport.

I actually hit two homers off him on my PS4 last night. Seen him destroy the Phillies a number of times in real life. Completely surreal that this has happened. Rest in peace.

Archived