Cosa Nostra

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I know that, that's why I added 'FWIW' at the beginning.

Mrs Ned is Calabrese, I'm the only non-Italian National in my household.

We were talking about this last night and she reminded me of a spate of break-ins in the village where her brother's bike and TV were nicked - a few words with the right people and a couple of days later everything was returned to the village square.

The local restaurant is sometimes 'unavailable' and on two occasions everyone dining there has been asked to leave as they'd suddenly had a block booking lol

It's all fun and games.

She once told me if I did her wrong I'd wake up with a horse's head next to me in the bed - I told her that's what it's like most mornings :P

Interesting stuff, do you speak Italian? I've become a bit ofan Iit alpha recently do you like fabri fibra haha, it seems a great vibrant culture etc, and the women are incredibleIis she Hot?

Same thing happened to me at the Giant's Causeway. Guy taking money from all the cars queuing to get in the car park which turned out to be free. Paddy Nostra clearly.

Got to love the (surely urban myth?) story about the guy who collected money off the car park at Bristol Zoo. Eventually buggered off as a millionaire after 15 years of collecting, only for the zoo to report him awol to the council, who replied with "we don't have a parking attendant there". How much I want it to be true.

Let's not also forget the "pound to watch your car, pal" if going to the football in Glasgow, translating to 'gie us a quid or I'm scratching yer car ya ****'.

There's also the story of the gentleman who upon being invited to subscribe to a car minding service, pointed to a fierce looking Alsatian on the back seat, smirking "I think I'm covered."

"Haw, look" says Don Shuggie to his pals. "This guy's got a dug that can put out fires." 

FWIW I paid a chap for parking in Pizzo (Calabria) last Summer before noticing that it was actually a free car park, naturally I was going to say something to him but was stopped by Mrs Ned's Uncle who suggested it would not be a good idea.

The car was fine when I returned, I guess all cars that are parked there are safe.

Once he and his friends had been pointed out to me it was clear that they had a hand in nearly all the goings on in the town, I felt very safe. Nice wee town as it happens.

The wee guys at Parkhead saying "50p to watch yer motor mister" seem to have grown a wee bit more professional in their old age, albeit a bit more junky looking in the face. I went 2 weeks ago and they are now men in their 30's but with a hi-vis jacket for the official look and stand in the middle of the road pointing to the car park space you were going to park in anyway.

My Henman supporting friend was returning to his car in the area surrounding Celtic Park the other week only to be met by a heroin addled fiend asking, "Excuse me mate, did I watch your car tonight?"

Wat?

The Sicilian mafia. Just read a couple of books about them, hence the username.

Absolutely breathtaking, the level of violence, the impunity with which they acted, the extent to which they corrupted and influenced Italian politics, it'sIincredible.

Has anyone else read about them and do you have suggestions of what else to read or Watch? There are lots of videos on YouTube but unfortunately they are all in Italian

Fat Tony's the Springfield mob, amazing.

Sicily is weird as f**k, especially away from the coastal resorts.  

Remember I was on university business visiting an archaeological site, quite near Corleone actually, in that neck of the woods anyway.  It was absolutely roasting and I got back to the village square in dire need of a cold drink.  I saw 'trattoria' painted on one of the buildings and thought "hey, I can get something to drink there". 

So I go down this sort of narrow dark passage way and the trattoria is at the end of the hall through one of those fringed bead curtain things.  So I go through it and in the trattoria is four elderly Sicilian  guys sitting at a table in animated discussion and a younger guy behind a counter cleaning glasses.

As soon as I enter everyone in the place just freezes, stops talking and just stares at me like "who the f**k is this guy?"  The tension was palpable. All I could think to say was "Coca cola?" And the guy behind the counter said "no Coca cola" and I replied "OK, no Coca cola.....bye" and then I got the f**k out of that place.  

Absolutely guarantee you everyone in that room had whacked people!

Remember I was on university business visiting an archaeological site, quite near Corleone actually, in that neck of the woods anyway.  It was absolutely roasting and I got back to the village square in dire need of a cold drink.  I saw 'trattoria' painted on one of the buildings and thought "hey, I can get something to drink there". 

So I go down this sort of narrow dark passage way and the trattoria is at the end of the hall through one of those fringed bead curtain things.  So I go through it and in the trattoria is four elderly Sicilian  guys sitting at a table in animated discussion and a younger guy behind a counter cleaning glasses.

As soon as I enter everyone in the place just freezes, stops talking and just stares at me like "who the f**k is this guy?"  The tension was palpable. All I could think to say was "Coca cola?" And the guy behind the counter said "no Coca cola" and I replied "OK, no Coca cola.....bye" and then I got the f**k out of that place.  

Or laughed their head off at their daily joke, doubt it would have happened to a coach party. On the other hand you may barely have escaped with your life!

You so nearly ended up a lupara bianca you'd have dissolved within 3 hours and been poured down a drain before anyone noticed you were missing, only you're gold teeth left.

"Johnny Tightlips... where did he hit you?"

"I ain't saying nothin'!"

"Then what do I tell the doctor?"

"Tell him to go suck a lemon."

Wherever two or more guys called Peter and Paul are gathered ...

Friend of mine down Sonora way says the machia is lightweight.

Archived