League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another option on the 'dead rubber' front could have been to have more than just the group winners qualifying. They could have had all the runners-up qualifying with the runners-up playing an intermediate knockout round, or the top 3 could have qualified for a full R2 put in before the CL/EL clubs join?

Regionalisation is never going to be great in Scotland, however it's done. All it can really do is prevent teams having to travel the full length of the country, so to that end I'd have it set up to explicitly do that; have Elgin, Ross County, Peterhead, Inverness and Cove in Section A with Queen of the South, Stranraer and Annan in Section B. Draw the remainder of the seeds randomly into section A and section B so taht you have Inverness, Ross County and two others in A, the remaining 4 in B. Do away with second seeds, and draw the remainder of the unseeded clubs randomly into A and B. Then just draw two groups from A, two groups from B.

This could still end up with Dumbarton (or whoever the anomaly is that season) getting a group with a lot of travelling but at least then it would seem more of a fair draw.

The regionalisation is fine how it is. Sufficient to stop most of the stupidly long trips but not so strictly divided that you end up with the same groups every year. Hopefully nobody will have more than one away midweek game, then there's a decent chance you could only be talking about three or four longish trips midweek out of the forty group games, which I think would be a pretty decent return.

Given our abysmal cup record I should probably care a bit more about this but got a feeling after managing to avoid the Orcs over the last 4 years we'll end up playing them as often as possible this season and probably get pumped out of this in short order.

Qos, Ayr, Annan, and Berwick would be my hand picked group and hope our away games are on a Saturday.

actually Edinburgh City away would do as well- as much as Meadowbank is a shithole, I could cross it off the to do list again having last seen us play Meadowbank there as a wean some 25 years ago, and it would at least be an Edinburgh day out.

One issue nobody has raised is that groups will have five clubs so on each fixture date one club won't be playing in each group this will lead to one club in each group having played all four games with the other four teams playing on the final day this system caused problems in Europa League and was scrapped as being unfair.

One issue nobody has raised is that groups will have five clubs so on each fixture date one club won't be playing in each group this will lead to one club in each group having played all four games with the other four teams playing on the final day this system caused problems in Europa League and was scrapped as being unfair.

The Europa League groups were changed to shoehorn in (yet) more teams; anyone who thinks that they were wringing their hands about that minor scheduling issue is deluded. Five/seven team groups are used in international football when necessary without a problem.

I think we can somehow cope with the apparent injustice in Scotland's second cup competition tbh. 

Dumbarton are victims of their own success. The SPFL probably expected Livi to finish ahead of Dumbarton.

If Dumbarton had finish 9th instead of 8th then they would be in the South group and Livi would be in the North group.

In future maybe make the top team seeded and have the 2nd and 3rd teams thrown together in the same pot?

I doubt the SPFL "expected" anything.  I'd be surprised if they were really bothered about which side finished 8th in the second tier when they were dreaming up this system.

chill out with the long journeys, there going to be in july when its light until after 10 pm and generaly quite warm,

Couldn't care less what the weathers like for the journey. If it's baltic I'll put the heater on in the car.

Archived