The Conservative and Unionist Party.

Im_Rodger

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>Been a great week for the Tories and Unionists in Scotland.

Most important has been the securing of skilled jobs on the Clyde for at least next 20 years, jobs that simply wouldn't have came to Glasgow had we voted YES.   Great news for ordinary working Scots, their families and the Scottish economy as a whole.   

Then there was the romping wins over the SNP in council elections in Alex Salmonds seat in Aberdeenshire, yet more seats going from yellow to blue.

Then SNP big hitter Alex Neil breaking the infamous party whip and admitting he and several other SNP members voted for Brexit.   Cracks appearing? And finally destruction of 'Indy camp '.

It's all coming up Tory, glorious :)

I really couldn't understand the mid set of anyone who is a tory.  There's genuinely something wrong with them mentally,  same way a psychotic person lacks a cconscience I think tories must just lack compassion and a moral compass.   Some also were bullied at schooland ssubconsciously are getting back by being tories.

I really couldn't understand the mid set of anyone who is a tory.  There's genuinely something wrong with them mentally,  same way a psychotic person lacks a cconscience I think tories must just lack compassion and a moral compass.   Some also were bullied at schooland ssubconsciously are getting back by being tories.

Pot calls kettle black.

10 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You even edited it?

1 hour ago, bob the tank said:

I thought they were now the Ruth Davidson, No Surrender to a Second Referendum Party.

I don't understand why there's a Scottish branch at all when the union referred to is between the entity of Great Britain and Ireland, not Scotland and anything. They presumably weren't formed with the idea of recognising Scotland as a nation inside a union, or a nation at all.

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

I don't understand why there's a Scottish branch at all when the union referred to is between the entity of Great Britain and Ireland, not Scotland and anything. 

Aye but that's because you ken heehaw.  It's a merger of The Conservative party and the Scottish Unionist party - which 'owned' The Weege's constituencies until...from memory --the early 60s.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aye but that's because you ken heehaw.  It's a merger of The Conservative party and the Scottish Unionist party - which 'owned' The Weege's constituencies until...from memory --the early 60s.

Actually it was an absorption of the Scottish Unionist party. And to what nations did the "union" bit of "Unionist" refer? Let me give you a hint: neither of them was Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Actually it was an absorption of the Scottish Unionist party. And to what nations did the "union" bit of "Unionist" refer? Let me give you a hint: neither of them was Scotland.

That has nothing to do with your post or my reply.  You're making an issue where none exists.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed it's somewhat ironic as the 'Unionist Party' as it was had a significant strand of adherents who were in favour (around the 1910s-20s) of something more like dominion status for Scotland within the Empire in the manner of Canada and had ambitions of securing significantly more autonomy for the country whilst keeping it part of the Empire.  

23 minutes ago, Antlion said:

don't understand why there's a Scottish branch at all when the union referred to is between the entity of Great Britain and Ireland, not Scotland and anything. They presumably weren't formed with the idea of recognising Scotland as a nation inside a union, or a nation at all.

The 'Unionist' tag did come more from opposition to full-blown Irish independence (again some would perhaps have been alright with Ireland as part of the Empire but with significantly more powers) than anything to do with the Anglo-Scottish Union.  Interestingly enough at first the Unionist Party was actually at least partially all for the recognition of Scotland as a nation.  That noted Tory John Buchan at the time said "I believe every Scotsman should be a Scottish nationalist" (or words to that effect) highlighting the rather bizarre, to modern eyes, hybrid Scottish Nationalism-Unionism of a lot of the party at that time.  As stated before at least part of the Unionist Party appear to have been in full support of gaining almost full-blown autonomy for Scotland whilst it stayed within the Empire; interesting to speculate what might have occurred had they got their way, perhaps Scotland would have evolved into an independent member of the Commonwealth like Canada or Australia.  Evidently that never happened and by the 30s those who had such ideas had split off to form the Scottish Party, which was in part one of the forerunners of today's SNP.

They were always tied in parliamentary terms though to the English and Welsh Tory party although for many years they portrayed themselves as entirely independent (they just happened to always vote the same way) in order to appeal to the more Liberal tradition in Scotland.  Mind you at the same time they were also trying to actively corner the Protestant vote on the basis of opposition to Irish nationalism and indeed the Irish immigrants in Scotland as part of their distinctly 'Scottish' platform.

In the 60s they formally merged with the English Conservative Party and since then there's been fundamentally no difference between them.  And of course the likes of Ruth Davidson and Adam Tompkins are in no hurry to recognise the heritage of the old Unionist Party; the organisation has gone essentially from recognising Scotland as a nation and being surprisingly favourable to devolution (if not outright independence) to seeking to promote a unifying 'British' identity and resisting the devolution of power as much as they possibly can.  

Archived