The Partick Thistle thread

Like others, I'm not pushing the panic button yet because of how we started last year, however I think there is far more reason to be concerned, especially if we don't get at least 3 or 4 points from our next two games. Performances last year by this stage were much poorer overall, but we had two able centre-halves with cover, and we also brought in Dumbuya who made a massive difference. This season the performances have been better, but with both our strikers having yet to score a league goal and our defence being horrendous, with no cover, I think we have every right to be worried. 

That being said, I think once Azeez gets his first, he'll go on a run of form, and Doolan has always scored in streaks. Fingers crossed either Barton is half decent at CB and/or Archie sees the sense to drop Devine and/or get a new centre half in. Like last year, October is massive for us and for how our season is going to end up.

On 02/10/2016 at 17:10, stuthejag said:

I posted it recently in the Old Partick Thistle Pictures Facebook group, Graham Dorrans had never seen it before and said it was his best ever.

22 hours ago, Reid said:

Link?

Link please!

I honestly think devine has been an absolute nightmare ! He looks overly confident one minute and then turns into fucking flappy bird. One of the best defences in the league last season.. To let 3 experienced defenders go was clearly a huge mistake. Ziggy Gordon and canny devine look like 2 over confident boys who shouldn't be playing besides each other. The worst thing about our defence is that liam Lindsay has no1 to learn from at the moment ! If seabourne and Frans were still there I feel that Lindsay would be developing morealso.

10 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I've only seen a couple of games so far this season but before a ball was kicked, it was surely evident to most that we were undermanned in vital areas. I was content to start the season with a back four of Ziggy, Booth, Lindsay and Devine but to have no viable option to replace either centre-half is criminal.

The decision to spend a transfer fee and fork out a three-year deal to Barton despite the glaring deficiencies elsewhere looks more bizarre by the week. I appreciate that our budget was impacted (rightly or wrongly) by the fixture list and obviously due to the injuries to Dumbuya and Cerny but to have a first team squad with seven central midfield players yet only two centre halves and two centre forwards is just bewilderingly poor squad management.

Not only do we have this issue of being lopsided in terms of squad balance that you're talking about, but the guy we've spent a fee on and given a three-year deal doesn't even get a game either. A healthy scratch in 3 out of 4 games since he's been here, which is all the more baffling considering some of the dross we've been bringing on in games recently.

I'm still not too downbeat about this season. We've been here before early on, and Accies, Killie, ICT and Dundee have been pretty poor as well; something which should help us as we generally play well against those around us. Even if one of them steps it up (ICT the best shout just now) that's still plenty of points to pick up from similarly shite sides.

Re Barton, i see it as an over lap. For all we know Archie has been trailing him for years. And finally got him when hes available.

It just so happens theres an overlap with Fraser in the last year of his contract. Id be fucking speachless if he was offered a new deal.

Likewise is Welsh not also in the final year of his contract? Again, surprised if he was offered a renewed contract. 

Banzo will be away as well come the summer.

That leaves us Barton, Edwards and Osman for next season?

Yes we are short at the back but i see that as a separate matter. 

We offered Sean Welsh a 2 year deal on the basis of him proving his fitness for a summer after him being broken for the best part of a couple of years, Archie then proceeded to include him in the starting XI consistently since he got that new deal regardless of his form.

I'd be more shocked if he never got offered a new deal tbh. 

20 hours ago, Nizzy said:

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but...Balatoni would have been a better shout than Devine.

20 hours ago, milhouse said:

Right now anybody else, I mean anybody, would inspire more confidence in me at the back than Daniel Devine. Adam Barton, or a development squad player, end contract by mutual consent, and we'll move on and forget the whole sorry Devine episode. Please, Alan, I implore you.

fc7c758d52f48d6f356ec42657135f9a.jpg

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

Re Barton, i see it as an over lap. For all we know Archie has been trailing him for years. And finally got him when hes available.

It just so happens theres an overlap with Fraser in the last year of his contract. Id be fucking speachless if he was offered a new deal.

Likewise is Welsh not also in the final year of his contract? Again, surprised if he was offered a renewed contract. 

That's the way I've seen it as well. Welsh will definitely be away at the end of this season, Wilson as well. Fraser will probably get a chance to prove his fitness/ability for the rest of this season before a decision is taken, but I'm not sure Bannigan will be away this summer, unless he ends up playing a decent part of this season to his usual standard, so I think Barton will be far more involved next year, and I would think that he's most likely been made well aware of that if he's signed a long-term deal.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I'll be astounded if we don't keep Fraser, provided he's willing to stay. We kept David Wilson ffs.

Wilson was/is on a fraction of the wage id hope. Fraser signed as our highest earner.

Provided he's willing to stay fit?

Do you think he has a choice in whether he picks up an injury or not?

I think it will come down to money v game time. Fraser has 7 months to earn a new contract. With barton coming in and edwards finding his feet in the scottish game, theres no room for a crock that plays 3 games then keels over.

10 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

A CM/CAM choice of Osman, Bannigan, Barton, Fraser, Edwards and Erskine for next season is very strong indeed. Even taking out Fraser if he doesn't prove his fitness, I would be happy to go into the new season with that.

Definitely top 6*

Can't see why Bannigan would be away in the summer given he's under contract and will at best have played a handful of games with a severe knee injury to recover from.

If we did sign Barton -and I'm not saying we did- because he was available and a long term project whilst ignoring the defence after all our gripes about the budget being cut and bearing in mind we paid a fee on top of his wages, then that's a bit like buying yourself a top of the range TV and smartphone while your bathroom is slowly flooding with shit. I'm still hopeful he'll be pressed into service in defence on the "can't do any worse" basis which I suppose means we're throwing a smartphone into a pile of shit...

Like others, not too worried just yet given we went something like 6 or 7 games without scoring a goal last season, and that we've done OK vs the teams who I think will be in the bottom half at the end of the season (5 from 9), but if the next 3 games go badly (Hamilton coming to Firhill and coming away with a 0-1 with Seaborne being great would increase the support-wide panic level) then I'll be a lot more concerned.

*in the championship

7 hours ago, dave.j said:

It just so happens theres an overlap with Fraser in the last year of his contract. Id be fucking speachless if he was offered a new deal.

To be honest, I'd be more surprised if Welsh and Fraser weren't still Thistle players this time next year. (Edit: Others beat me to that).

Mind Bannigan is signed up for next season too. I'd be surprised if any team was willing to pay a transfer fee considering it's unlikely he'll be back this season.

Edited by Armand 2

What I heard was that Barton was given a 3 year deal in anticipation for when either Osman or Bannigan (or both) leave at the end of next season. Suggests that we don't see any of our other CMs being good enough as replacements. Edwards has done well recently but I think he was primarily seen as playing behind the striker.

Edited by Red 'N Yellow

It would be great if Barton turned out to be the new Davie Irons but I don't think Archibald will try him out unless one of the current incumbents is unavailable.

If Devine is going to keep his place for now is it maybe switching sides with Lindsay?

I thought Gordon was a lot better defensively on Saturday so it may be an idea to keep him away from Danny for the time being?

p.s. We paid money for Azeez too?

Think SLJ mentioned there was a cross-border loophole which meant we got Azeez for nowt, same thing Motherwell exploited to get one of their signings over the summer (McHugh?)

Heneghan is the one that arrived via loophole.

McHugh was out of contract and free to move, despite indicating to Plymouth his intention to re-sign. It was that that caused all the fuss.